1/72 Armourfast Panzer IV ausf G's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Howdy Folks - As a Panzer 'virgin' I'm going for 3 different 'grades' of Panzer IV -  as a kind of 'learning experience' - so I'll be looking for some help along the way.  My first entry - just to get a feel for things will be these ARMOURFAST AUSF G's...

AF001.jpg

There aren't any instructions to speak of...

AF002.jpg

...and even though you get 2 kits - there isn't much in the box...

AF003.jpg

...but we all have to start somewhere - so wish me luck :blush: Steve

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Steve. I don’t know if it's just me but I can’t see the photos in the above post.

Kind regards,

Stix

That doesn't bode well...  I've tried editing the post too - I may have to start again...

• Sad 1

Nice kits Steve, I’ve not built these but I’ve got a pair of T-34s from Armourfest. They went together really well, and look fantastic with a lick of paint.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice kits Steve, I’ve not built these but I’ve got a pair of T-34s from Armourfest. They went together really well, and look fantastic with a lick of paint.

...a lick of paint and maybe a lot of mud - to hide the lack of detail perhaps :lol:

• Like 1

If it helps I've recently purchased a Trumpeter 1/72 IS-4 which proudly proclaims it has 44 parts yet is still sold as a "proper" kit. 🤔

These don't look too bad as a starting point to be honest

• Thanks 1

Hey Ben - I'll have to see what I can 'stick on' or 'drill out' - but at £6 for the pair if they end up as 'paint mules' it won't be a nightmare.

Then again - 'mud - mud - glorious mud - there's nothing quite like it for....'  ...hiding the defects :lol: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Hey Ben - I'll have to see what I can 'stick on' or 'drill out' - but at £6 for the pair if they end up as 'paint mules' it won't be a nightmare.

Then again - 'mud - mud - glorious mud - there's nothing quite like it for....'  ...hiding the defects :lol: 

I'm sure a good dose of the "Big X Treatment"™ will have them looking a lot more presentable :giggle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning folks.  Well today is the day as they say.  I was up early at 5am and had a catch up on all the build threads.  It looks like there are going to be some seriously impressive builds and I am looking forward to tagging along with all of them.  Checking the chat thread I found there is now a banner - but whilst trying to resize it I've ended up with a slightly different looking version - but I like the black background - so I'm sticking with it.  I've 'buddied up' with @badger & @Lawzer as we are all building the little Revell 1/72 Ausf H.  As Lawzer & I are 'Panzer virgins' we are looking to Badger to lead the way - but our 'Team Tiny Panzer' project probably won't get properly off the ground until tomorrow I decided that I would crack on with these very naïve kits.  I haven't built a thing since the Vintage Airfix GB finished - so the smell of glue first thing this morning really woke me up.

Anyway - enough of the rambling...

I'm looking for a 'Blitz Build' approach on these this morning - so to review here is what I have...

AF004.jpg

...at a WHOPPING 33 parts I may have it finished by teatime.  Detail is 'lacking' but the most disappointing thing is the quality of the tracks...

AF005.jpg

...additionally the drive sprockets and idlers are 'solid' - but I'm only having a bit of fun with this one - so I'm not wasting time hollowing them out - life's too short.

At least the muzzle has the side holes already done - quite an odd contrast really as the wheels are so much bigger...

AF006.jpg

So - on with the build - I've been chopping and sanding away - here is the hull base...

AF007.jpg

...note there is no detail on the sides - just a couple of 'U' shaped points which seem to be location pointers for the pre-assembled track units.  Next up the hull toppers...

AF008.jpg 

...there is some hatch & vent detailing & normally I might look to 'tart' these up a bit - but not today.  At £3 each I suppose I shouldn't really whinge 'too much' :blush:

• Like 4

Back to the tracks...

AF009.jpg

There isn't any detail on the back of the rollers - but I never really bother with the underside of 'masterpieces' - so that isn't a problem.

AF010.jpg

...and the fronts - shame about the solid idler - but hey ho - at least they got the box art right...

AF010A.jpg

I've just noticed there is no suspension for the rollers on the sides...

AF010B.jpg

ah well - onwards and upwards - with no instructions and no familiarity with Panzers I  think I have identified the 'exhaust'...

AF012A.jpg

AF012.jpg

and these had me foxed for a short while...

AF013.jpg

...but I finally figured it and so - we have lift off - enter the first bit of glue...

AF014.jpg

• Like 2

Great to see you are underway! Your tanks do seem to be lacking a little in detail but I'm sure with some of your artistic skills your paintwork will  beautifully disguise their shortcomings. Careful use of some mud on the tracks could hide their slight crudeness.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Now the top is off the Tamiya liquid poly I'm on a roll - I've added this bit of 'detail'...

AF015.jpg

The viewing port - for the driver I assume and a machine gun mount.  There is no MG though and if you look at the arrow on the right this 'hole' has me a little confused.

Going back to the box art - it looks like a MG is needed...

AF015A.jpg

...and that hole could be for an aerial???

AF015B.jpg

hmmm... I can knock up a couple of MG's - but I also noticed there are no 'pipe cleaners'...

AF015C.jpg

I did 'scratch' some of these for my little Sherman recently...

MK1045.jpg

...but I want to see how these go together first - before I strain my eyes too much.

Madame X has now risen from bed and is demanding an early trip to ASDA so that's put the mockers on my morning.  I'll see what other bits I can get done whilst she spends an hour trowelling on the make up :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Great to see you are underway! Your tanks do seem to be lacking a little in detail but I'm sure with some of your artistic skills your paintwork will  beautifully disguise their shortcomings. Careful use of some mud on the tracks could hide their slight crudeness.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for the encouragement Stix - gladly these aren't the 'main event' - just the first 'warm up act' to get me 'back at the bench' after a few months off.  As the old saying goes...

"You can't polish a :poop:" - "but you can roll it in glitter" :lol:

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain that you'll turn these into something impressive!

....and good luck in Asda! Saturday - late morning in Asda.........sounds....er .........fun! :banghead:

Kind regards,

Stix

OK - last update before shopping - BTW Man City kick off at 12:30 - so it looks like it's going to be a busy day.  anyway...

AF016.jpg

The left hull shows the 'basic' detail piece for the lower hull - and here are the 'detail' bits for the top...

AF017.jpg

...there isn't a lot to look at - but again I may add something if they go together OK - the only 'add on' supplied for the back is the exhaust unit.

• Like 3

And we're off whilst the rest of us sleep in! Exemplary commitment to the gb!

Just got back from town, which predictably was a nightmare this close to Christmas.

The hole is indeed where the aerial goes. A piece of wire or stretched sprue would make a good mg.

Hoping to start mine tonight.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK - ASDA is done for another week and City beat Everton - so everything was looking rosy.  I thought things were going too well - no sooner had I settled back at the bench when SWMBO shouted up the stairs...

"I thought we were putting the Christmas tree up this afternoon" :doh:

I didn't dare let her up into the loft - you can guess why - for that is where the second hidden stash is residing.  She makes enough comments about all the stuff in the cupboard in the office - if she saw what I've got squirreled away in the loft she would go berserk.

So I've spent the last half hour dragging all the Christmas stuff down the stairs & now I'm supposed to help.  You know the drill...

• Move this...
  • don't touch that...
  • untangle the lights...
  • where are you going...
  • get out of the way...
  • we aren't putting those up...
  • get the hoover...
  • why aren't the lights working...
  • what do you think about these...
  • what do you know...
  • have you fixed the lights yet...

..and so it goes on. :lol:  You've got to love them ❤️

• Haha 6

Just now, PlaStix said:

Sounds like fun!

Kind regards,

Stix

Well it looks like I've finished my 'chores' & Mrs X has let me sneak back to the bench to get some more done before tea.

I had a quick look at the 'back box' on the turret and wasn't overly keen on this gap...

AF018.jpg

the underside was even worse...

AF019.jpg

The problem seemed to be this 'wedge' on the inside...

AF020.jpg

...so it was out with the scalpel and this looks 'a little better'...

AF021.jpg

AF023.jpg

...from the underside and side view at least.  The top is still another matter though...

AF024.jpg 

...now where did I put the Perfect Plastic Putty...

• Like 4

Nice start, I've had a similar day re: the chrimbo tree and deccies, but at least I could claim the long held family tradition of a very large brandy whilst doing them (PS it a long held family tradition wot I made up years ago! sshhh!)

• Haha 2