1/72 Armourfast Panzer IV ausf G's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

I decided the way to go was to attach the tracks to the base - with no instructions it really is a 'freestyle' build.  I've just used masking tape...

AF049.jpg

AF050.jpg

AF051.jpg

I put the top of the hull on as it was very difficult to see where it should all go without it.  the bottom of the tracks is very heavy - with all those solid wheels and was sagging - before I rested it on the bench to set.

• Like 3

Whilst they were setting I had a go at the cuploa hatches.  The open one was easy enough....

AF052.jpg

The closed one proved a little trickier.  I used a strip of evergeen to hold both pieces together...

AF054.jpg

The top side looked 'OK'...

AF055.jpg

...but it kept falling through the hatch - so i had to resort to fitting a blank...

AF056.jpg

AF057.jpg

...the punch / die set i bought last year has really paid for itself again and again recently.

• Like 3

So with the hatches sorted...

AF058.jpg

The only thing left was the exhausts...

AF053.jpg

This area really does look 'sparse' and I'm sure I'll return to it - but its been a busy day and I'm keen to get to bed - so here is where we are...

AF059.jpg

Somewhere on the web it says these are ready to go in just 10 minutes - clearly they have never seen a BIG X build :mental:

Thanks for looking in folks - it's been a hell of a first day,

Steve

• Like 6

That's rather impressive progress for the first day!! I'd be happy with that.

If you want to add a little interest to the rear, there's a stowed tow cable that goes above the exhaust - check the revell instructions. That'd add a bit more detail. I use fuse wire twisted with a small hand drill to make mine.

Hope you get a good nights sleep ready for more fun tomorrow

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With a break in the weather and the wind bating down I have given them a quick primer coat...

AF060.jpg

...not outside - but with the booth vent out of the window.  I'd say I need a new liner in the booth before I move on.  I'm parking these for now - whilst I concentrate on the PSC's & the Revell of course. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update here.  As the track detail is woeful and due to a complete lack of any detail on these I decided to 'make' some track skirts - just to get back into the 'swing' of things...

AF061.jpg

I used a bit of 'L' section to fix them on for now...

AF063.jpg

I will cobble up some 'braces' to make it look like they are holding them on the hull in a bit.

As I mentioned earlier - these are really just going to be 'mules' - so I can practice 'Tri-colour' camo effects.

My good mate @badger sent me a paint 'swatch' a while back and after 'extensive painted spoon testing' I have decided on the following Vallejo Model Air Colours...

Picture1.jpg

The 3 colours at the bottom are mine.  They may not be '100% accurate' - but they are close enough for 'toy tanks'.  :lol:

Again - more progress soon I hope - Steve

• Like 3

Those colours look pretty close to me mate!

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the tri-colour scheme.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Steve, Just wondering if there has been any progress with this project?

Kind regards,

Stix

It's funny you should ask that...  I've been shaking a bottle of Dunkelgelb today - does that count as progress I wonder??? ;)

• Haha 5

37 minutes ago, BIG X said:

It's funny you should ask that...  I've been shaking a bottle of Dunkelgelb today - does that count as progress I wonder??? ;)

In my world it very much does!!!

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

Well these have been languishing on the shelf of doom since before Christmas...  I fell out of love with them - due to a distinct lack of detail and accuracy.  I didn't have the heart to bin them - so they have re-surfaced.  I tried cobbling up some home made skirts - to compensate for their basic nature...

AF063.jpg

I added some Dunkelgelb...

AF064.jpg

AF066.jpg

I even practiced my 'tricolour' skills...

AF068.jpg

AF069.jpg

so this is where I got up to - until last night.

• Like 4

Last night I dragged them back out and pulled the skirts off...

AF070.jpg

AF071.jpg

I now have a spare set of skirts from my PSC builds - which I think will look better...

AF072.jpg

...so it was time for a 'rummage' through the spares box for other bits to help tart them up a bit more.

• Like 4

SO - as well as the skirts - which I will add to one - I've drilled out the fronts of the hulls...

AF077.jpg

...to add some towing hooks and I found some track - for 'frontal armour'...

AF074.jpg

AF078.jpg

...I also found a couple of bits of 'rope' which I can dangle somewhere and then I located these...

AF075.jpg

AF076.jpg

AF073.jpg

The wheels can go in the wheel bin - so tonight I'll try and get some primer on...

AF079.jpg

this should 'busy up' the bodywork - thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 4

Hi Steve. I really do like what you are doing with these kits. They maybe a bit lacking in some details but with your lovely painting and weathering, plus all the attention you are lavishing on them, they are going to be a pair of stunners! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Good work. 

For what they are, simple builds for Wargames table, where aerials etc get knocked off as a matter of course, they are a great bit of kit.  Those little bits and bobs will really bring it on nicely. 

• Thanks 1

Just caught up on this lovely build and a tremendous amount of work going in there, Steve, as usual, and not a bit of PE in sight (yet!). Great to see you in 'build' mode. I'm looking forward to all the weathering that will no doubt follow on. All the best. Mike.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Just caught up on this lovely build and a tremendous amount of work going in there, Steve, as usual, and not a bit of PE in sight (yet!). Great to see you in 'build' mode. I'm looking forward to all the weathering that will no doubt follow on. All the best. Mike.

Thanks Mike - Nice to see you around - I think taking on 3 kit types and 5 Panzer IV's in total was a little 'ambitious' :blush: but I'm 'plodding' along towards the finish line.

• Like 2

I don't seem to have updated the G's all week - though I have been working on things - slowly but surely...

I got the 'accessories' painted and in place...

AF080.jpg

AF082.jpg

I made some towing hooks for the front...

AF084.jpg

... then fixed the tracks in place with a homemade bar - the same as on the H's...

AF083.jpg

...so slow progress to get everything in place and create a bit of 'interest'...

AF085.jpg

AF086.jpg

• Like 2