Panzer Kampfwagen IV Ausf D - Tamiya 1/35 +++ Completed +++

Bonhoff

That should be a good kit to build. l'm making an Ausf.D but from Dragon/Platz - I'll be interested to see the comparison between the old and new kits.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have now! 

Started at lunchtime today now I'm back at work.....

44752976140_df5f0a7173_c.jpg

46570754351_26a4564c2d_c.jpg

46570754301_2cc38d814f_c.jpg

No comments really necessary at the moment - It's a '70s Tamiya and seems to be building as well as you'd expect.

KR's 

IanJ 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stix, 

Was half expecting you to enquire today, don't know why, but this is where we're up to as of lunchtime.

45940342765_31905b1590_c.jpg

Basic construction completed and not far off being ready for painting - I have a Vallejo Model Air DAK paint set that I'm going to try and use as brush paint as I  don't think I'll be able to get down the Iancave to spray ATM.

The Doglet insists on accompanying me down there but also insists that I leave the cave door open - Not conducive to comfortable spraying conditions...

KR's

IanJ

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Basic construction completed and not far off being ready for painting - I have a Vallejo Model Air DAK paint set that I'm going to try and use as brush paint as I  don't think I'll be able to get down the Iancave to spray ATM.

The Doglet insists on accompanying me down there but also insists that I leave the cave door open - Not conducive to comfortable spraying conditions...

Hi Ian,

Great to see you've made a lot of progress, although some photos of the actual process might have been nice. But what you've done is looking neat and tidy.

I don't have the bottle to construct and entire vehicle and paint it all afterwards, so hats off to you.

On the subject of 'conducive to comfortable spraying conditions' I'd kick the dog out and shut the door!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Hi Badder,

I took an executive decision that as there were several other Tamiya PzIV's being built, I'd not clutter up the bandwidth with something that had been covered by others already.

KR's

IanJ

First coat of paint - I've attempted to brush paint a coat of Vallejo RAL 8000 - as it's an airbrush paint it'll need a couple more coats before I try the highlight coat....

46173440954_968aedd858_c.jpg

And I blew some of my wages on a pack of AK Interactive DAK Uniform colours - This pack provides base, highlight and shadow shades for both the Desert and Green Uniform colours so I've had a bit of a mess around.

46173441244_07e6d3e65c_c.jpg

The green trousers on the commander have been base coated, highlighted and shadowed, then I've made a wash from a spot of the base colour mixed with some "Army Painter" wash mixing medium - It's produced a subtle effect but hopefully practice will make perfect.

More news when it happens.

KR's

IanJ 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SoftScience said:

We're DAK tankers still wearing the early war berrets? 

It's a good point and one that I have mused about, but as I don't have any alternatives to hand and as no-one else chez Bonhoff know about military uniforms I'm going to have to go with what I've got.....

KR's

IanJ

More painting.

Another coat of RAL 8000 - Followed up by a thin wash of the highlighting shade provided in the Vallejo set.

31975707237_b0096f84a9_c_d.jpg

Not entirely happy with it, I think it needs to be much lighter. Any opinions?

Methinks I'm going to have to take it home, keep the dog out of the shed and get this thing airbrushed...

On to the figures - They've all had the tan parts of their uniforms treated to the Base / Shadow / Highlight regime and the chap on the right has had an additional wash coat of the base colour applied, couple more coats needed.

46034240195_b2d4a2b408_c_d.jpg

I've not done a very good job of cleaning up the seams :banghead:

KR's 

IanJ

• Like 2

Hi Ian. The paint on your Pz.IV D looks to be turning out nicely now! :thumbsup: And yes, some figures have lots of seam lines and you only tend to notice the ones not cleaned up after the paint is on! :banghead:The figures do look great otherwise!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1