Badger's 1/72 Revell Panzer IV ausf H

badger

Yeah I can see it too! We often do stuff on models that can't be seen eventually but it doesn't mean it isn't worth doing! Good effort! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. I was just wondering if you have had chance to do anything more on this project?

Kind regards, 

Stix

Hi Stix

Thanks for checking but sadly not. It's not been forgotten but had a few other things on last week which meant modelling time was a bit curtailed.

Hopefully more etch insanity soon.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Right time for some progress as my co-conspirators in Team Tiny Panzer - Lawzer & Big X have both been working on their respective builds whilst I've been ignoring mine somewhat!

Suitable refreshments were obtained and I made a (re)start.

2019-01-26_11-01-05

First up was to add a few more bits of etch, all from the eduard set. There was a reinforcing plate to go on the hull rear, a bracket on the right side front fender and I trimmed down the jack block to.fit an etch bracket and straps.

IMG_20190126_223656

Once that was done I started the right side skirt mounts. These are properly fiddly, not helped by the etch zimmerit I'd fitted. I found that several of them needed a bit of the bottom trimming off (it wont be seen), so they would fit snuggly in the mounting holes in the hull top.

IMG_20190126_223613

IMG_20190126_223634

Taking your time is essential, as are test fits, but eventually I got this result which I'm pretty pleased with.

IMG_20190126_224747

Just got to refit the jack - if I was doing this again I would leave it off until I'd fitted the skirt brackets. Do fit the spade first though as I didn't and had to remove the bracket to do so.

I also found the bracket that goes over the spade had to be thinned on the rear of the upright piece that goes over the spade as otherwise there wasn't enough clearance to fit the bracket over the spade.

I also noted Revell have the spade fitted the wrong way round in step 23 in the instructions - it should go with the blade facing the front of the tank.

More soon

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 4

Great tips Ben - I have to admit I've also been avoiding these fittings - but now I can see where they go - so it's a big help.

Top Job mate - Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonights progress was mostly fitting the left side skirt rail which is now done. Again several of the brackets needed a little bit trimming from the bottom to fit in place snuggly.

I still have the lower brackets to do but will wait for the rail to fully set before I do that (need to dig in the spares box as there was one missing from the kit, luckily I have some from previous builds where they weren't used so not worrying).

IMG_20190127_223841

I also fitted the gun cleaning rods, fire extinguisher and the muzzle brake.

The rest of the evening has been spent fitting the Eureka XXL towing cable which is a very soft copper braided wire with resin ends.

IMG_20190127_223901

I measured the distance between the fitting points (1.6cm) and made a jig to wrap the cable around. Despite a broken resin end, this worked fairly well and I was able to glue the cable to the hull where I shaped it to fit with a pointed pair of tweezers.

2019-01-27_10-49-04

The tank is now almost ready to be attached to a temporary base as it's getting too delicate to keep handling. This will allow me to finish adding the rest of the etch details, hopefully without knocking them off every time I touch it.

More tomorrow hopefully as am enjoying this again.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 5

top notch work. maybe it was a good time to thin the brackets for the "shurtzen" down all the way. A bit of sanding and scraping would have taken care of that...  just to take the bulkyness away. Still you make me wanna clear my models on the table and take that Pz IV J out of my stash...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BIG X said:

Top class work Ben :thumbsup:

Cheers Steve - I'm enjoying this again!

6 hours ago, Silenoz said:

top notch work. maybe it was a good time to thin the brackets for the "shurtzen" down all the way. A bit of sanding and scraping would have taken care of that...  just to take the bulkyness away. Still you make me wanna clear my models on the table and take that Pz IV J out of my stash...

Many thanks - I agree the brackets are very overscale. Sadly the etched sets I have didn't come with replacements, and whilst I could have thinned them down more (probably easier to have rebuilt them) I also wanted to get this stage out of the way and on to other things. Hopefully they won't be seen too much behind the shurtzen,

4 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Great work there ben!! 👍

Many thanks - comments like this are keeping me going on this one.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

On 28/01/2019 at 17:04, PlaStix said:

Great to see more progress and it really is looking excellent. Very impressive modelling in such a small scale! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix

More progress to show tonight.

I've finished the lower mounts on the left side (the two rear ones are replacements from the unused ones in the wirbelwind kit as one was missing and I lost one to the carpet monster).

IMG_20190131_215142

I also fitted the last of the tool stowage, spare track and headlight. Next I added the hatch and machine gun mount - these both have some etched additions to add later.

IMG_20190131_215156

Finally I started adding the turret schurtzen mounts, and cleaned up the crew figures before mounting them on a painting handle made from a cut down old curtain rail.

2019-01-31_10-00-28

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

Looking good there, I like the towing cable - attaching the eyes must have been a bit of a fiddle. 

What are the crew you're using? I won't be having any in my build as I'm not inclined to cut open the hatches, but maybe for the next one... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Churchill said:

Looking good there, I like the towing cable - attaching the eyes must have been a bit of a fiddle. 

What are the crew you're using? I won't be having any in my build as I'm not inclined to cut open the hatches, but maybe for the next one... 

Many thanks for looking in. The eyes weren't too bad as they were pre-drilled to take the cable. I just opened them up a little.

The crew are AB figures - my usual go to brand for crews as I really like these figures. Fighting15s carry the range in the UK and I've always had really good service from them.

https://www.fighting15sshop.co.uk/ab-figures--flags-218-c.asp

Hope that helps

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Nice work Ben!  As @PlaStix said above the detail makes you thin kit's a lot bigger than 1/72! 👍

Many thanks! 

I'm enjoying this at the moment. The basic tank is almost built, just the remaining schurtzen brackets and a couple of small bits to add, then I can stuck into a serious amount of etch!

More soon

Ben

• Like 1

More excellent progress Ben. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Pz.IV with its interestingly damaged zimmerit looks like under a coat of paint.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

More excellent progress Ben. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Pz.IV with its interestingly damaged zimmerit looks like under a coat of paint.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix - we're getting closer to paint.

I finished fitting the last of the turret schurtzen brackets tonight, then added the final piece of the Revell kit (other than the tracks) - the anti-aircraft machine gun.

The model was then firmly blutacked to a temporary base to make it easier to handle and reduce the risk of knocking bits off.

IMG_20190201_223513

I then started added all manner of tiny etch brackets, reinforcing plates and other details.

IMG_20190201_223523

The anti-aircraft mg got an etch ammo box and ammo (still got a sight to add).

2019-02-01_10-36-09

Quite enjoyed myself tonight, but there's an awful lot still on the frets to add, as well as the schurtzen to construct.

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

On 02/02/2019 at 07:29, BIG X said:

At the risk of repeating myself - AMAZING!!!

Many thanks - didn't feel in the right frame of mind last night to tackle tiny bits of etch so worked on the diorama instead.

Hope to get back to this later

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Tiny bit of progress today.

Crew are now primed as managed to nip outside for two minutes earlier and spray them despite it being very cold still.

IMG_20190203_164113

I've then just sat with a brew and sorted the camouflage scheme and decals.

IMG_20190203_164019

I'll be building a tank from the eighth company, 3rd panzer regiment of the second panzer division in Normandy 1944. I'll go with a different turret number than 825 though.

My only concern is these are dry decals and I've not had much luck whenever I've used them in the past.

IMG_20190203_164008

More soon

Ben

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, badger said:

Tiny bit of progress today.

Crew are now primed as managed to nip outside for two minutes earlier and spray them despite it being very cold still.

IMG_20190203_164113

I've then just sat with a brew and sorted the camouflage scheme and decals.

IMG_20190203_164019

I'll be building a tank from the eighth company, 3rd panzer regiment of the second panzer division in Normandy 1944. I'll go with a different turret number than 825 though.

My only concern is these are dry decals and I've not had much luck whenever I've used them in the past.

IMG_20190203_164008

More soon

Ben

I'm loving the crew Ben and a very nice choice of camo too.  For my first attempt at Tricolour I'm pretty pleased - my reddy/brown might be a bit 'pinkish' but I'm happy enough.  Those 'tracing paper' transfers can be a beggar - so I'll be willing you along all the way with those.  I'm sure you'll pull it off with great aplomb. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I'm loving the crew Ben and a very nice choice of camo too.  For my first attempt at Tricolour I'm pretty pleased - my reddy/brown might be a bit 'pinkish' but I'm happy enough.  Those 'tracing paper' transfers can be a beggar - so I'll be willing you along all the way with those.  I'm sure you'll pull it off with great aplomb. 

Thanks mate. I'm very impressed with your tricolour and the colours look pretty good to me.

Crew have now been black base painted and I'll start adding the details soon. I needed to decide the unit as if I went for an SS one then I could have had fun painting pea dot camouflage uniforms (and I do genuinely mean fun :laugh:).

However the tanks from this unit fit the version I am building, are in Normandy and I have suitable transfers so I'll settle for this.

While the paint was drying I decided to play around with the etch schurtzen. Each panel needs three etch mounts folding up which are fairly easy, if a little small.

I taped the panel to a piece of mdf to keep it steady which worked well and helped when fitting the mounts.

IMG_20190203_171826

I've made two of the ten panels and hope to do a few more after tea.

IMG_20190203_173039IMG_20190203_173108

It's a bit toed in at the bottom at the moment but is only loose so I can remove them to paint.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 4