Badger's 1/72 Revell Panzer IV ausf H

badger

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Just catching up Ben, fantastic job all round.

3 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Superb! 👍👍👍👍

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

As above - superb and a fantastic job all round. :goodjob:

Many thanks chaps!! Really appreciate the kind comments.

Just hope the clear resin I bought works. It's rather smelly so a bit worried about the outcome!

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Badder said:

What Colin   Steve said above!!

And especially at that scale.

Rearguards,

Badder

Cheers Badder - and you get to start page 9!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Can’t wait to see this finished - great work all round fella! 👍

Thanks Ian,

Sadly one step forward, several back today!

Last night I finished up the base ready to pour the resin.

IMG_20190309_221325

Rabbits were painted and added under the bushes.

IMG_20190309_221349IMG_20190310_103449

Some extra dandelions were added around and I repainted the heads to make them stand out a bit more as Eduard had them in a very lemony shade.

IMG_20190309_221330

I also made up some branches to add to the tank.

IMG_20190309_221403

All was good. Sadly have had a bit of a disaster with the resin. I double sided taped the plastic "shield" to the base to shape the resin to the 45° edge.

IMG_20190309_221330

IMG_20190310_103441

Not learning from last time when the water effects just ran off, I have had the same issue with the resin this morning🤬.

In hindsight (and isn't that a wonderful thing?) I should have used a hot glue gun to stick the shield on. 

It's currently drying in the sun and my hope is the resin will act as a glue and secure the shield so I can mix up some more later and top it up 🤞.

Oh well - it's all a learning curve and I now know for next time!

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Chin up Ben - you will get there - keep the faith.

Cheers Steve.

More irritated at my own ineptitude! Have had a quick look and decided to strip off the shield and start again once everythings dry, this time using a hot glue gun.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Your base looks wonderful in the piccies you shared Ben, sorry to hear the water effects are giving problems.

(Going to watch, 'cause I want to use water some time down the line).

Many thanks for the kind comments.

After much deliberation (and a bit of a sulk!) I had a go at the hot glue gun idea.

Sadly the thickness of the glue prevented the shield sitting flush, so this was scrubbed as an idea.

I then settled for supergluing the shield to the base (it's going to need sanding and repainting anyway). This was then covered in electricians tape to try and form a water (resin) proof barrier.

I've then mixed a third lot of resin and refilled it. It's been down about 20 mins now, so fingers crossed this time!

Most of my problems are to do with the fact I'm trying to cast the resin with a 45° edge to match my base. If I'd used a straight sided base, or was casting into a depression, then this would be much easier.

The resin seems good stuff, but has a very strong smell.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have just been to check on it and no seepage :yahoo:

Has now been wrapped in cling film (recommended to aid setting) and placed in an airtight box in a warm place.

Reckon it'll need two days to dry (apparently up to seven to fully cure), so any more progress won't be until Tuesday at the earliest.

Once the resins dry, I'll need to tidy up the edges, repaint and repair the base, then I can attach the tank, carry out final touchups on this and add the figures and nameplate.

Going to be down to the wire methinks.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Tense moments - but you are bringing it home in style Ben.

All the best,

Steve

Thanks mate.

It's been 3 1/2 hours and no seepage (have just checked), so think that's worked :yahoo: .

What state the base edges will be in remains to be seen :tmi: , but at least resin can be sanded down 🤔

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

Realised there were a few bits I could be doing while I wait for the base to dry.

The panzer has had the branches I finished yesterday applied. The white spots are wet glue which should dry clear.

2019-03-10_06-48-49

Might try and fit the crew later

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

Hi Ben. Stunning modelling, especially in 1/72!! The Pz.IV itself just gets better and better but the base is just stunning - and the rabbits are great! I hope you manage to get the water sorted. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the Gallery soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

16 hours ago, Churchill said:

Looking amazing there, love the bunnies and the chamfered edge to the water will look very professional when you make it work. 

Many thanks Churchill - just hope the resin sets and I can get a decent edge on it - may need polishing but I have a variety of Tamiya sandpapers ready and waiting

9 hours ago, Hewy said:

This is going to look absolutely top drawer when it's all together, smashing job

Many thanks Hewy - I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out so far

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. Stunning modelling, especially in 1/72!! The Pz.IV itself just gets better and better but the base is just stunning - and the rabbits are great! I hope you manage to get the water sorted. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the Gallery soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks Stix - I rather like the base and have been looking for something to use the rabbits on (I have a selection of wildlife from Langley Miniatures who are a railway modelling company, but do some excellent bits and pieces).

The water is drying as we speak - will leave it today and investigate tomorrow as hopefully it will be dry then,

Photos will be in the gallery as soon as it's finished

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

Just popped into the garage and had a peak. It's worked!! :yahoo:

Mostly. There is a slight rough bit at the front as it wasn't entirely set solid when I removed the tape, which pulled the shields off and slightly disturbed the resin. However I am pretty sure this can be sanded down once its fully dry.

The top edges will need a trim down anyway but on the whole I'm pleased with it.

Most importantly though. I have water!! 

It's now wrapped back up and put away to dry for a bit longer.

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

Time for an update.

After several days curing I decided to unwrap the base. It had set nicely and so was time to start tidying it up.

I have spent a couple of hours sanding down excess resin from the sides and the top. It's now been polished a couple of times, but needs a bit more before I'm totally happy with it.

Then it's a case of repairing the edges, repainting the black and varnishing it.

There's a small amount of repair work to the grass then I can attach the tank and complete final touch ups.

Not long now

2019-03-16_04-49-31

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

Talk about keeping us waiting!! Well it looks excellent and I hope all the remaining bits and pieces come together on time! 🤞🏻

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Talk about keeping us waiting!! Well it looks excellent and I hope all the remaining bits and pieces come together on time! 🤞🏻

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix

It will be finished tonight !!

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

Brilliant work Ben - it's been well worth all the effort.  I'm cheering you on from my sick bed - so seeing it in the gallery will really cheer me up.

All the best - Steve

• Thanks 1