Badger's 1/72 Revell Panzer IV ausf H

badger

Hi Ben. Well the Pz.IV itself is looking excellent and I do like what you have done so far with the base. It seems to be all coming together beautifully. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. Well the Pz.IV itself is looking excellent and I do like what you have done so far with the base. It seems to be all coming together beautifully. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix - have managed to pop out tonight when I got home and primered the base so there might be a bit of progress on it tonight now.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

No progress on the base tonight as it was still drying out and a bit too smelly to work on.

Instead I matt varnished the tyres to remove the shine and started the detail painting on the panzer.

I've base coloured in the wooden sections of the tools ready for the steel work and some wear and tear.

Next I added some chipping to.the damaged sections of zimmerit using a light sand colour as zimmerit had an ochre pigment added to it so therefore any chipping would show up as a sand colour, not red primer or dark grey!

IMG_20190214_220543

This will be toned down a little with a wash once dry.

The big news of the night was fitting the rest of the turret schurtzen. This was rather delicate and more than a bit fiddly but I'm quite pleased with the result.

IMG_20190214_220608

There's a couple of paint touch ups to do, but nothing major.

Have just noticed I've bent the sight on the mg - oops!

All the best

Ben

• Like 6

Feeling a bit left out with all the excellent progress that's being made by @BIG X, @Hewy and @Churchill so thought I'd better show what I managed to do last night.

Tools have started to be painted - couple of bits left to do and the spare tracks on the front have been painted ready for washing and weathering.

IMG_20190217_111705IMG_20190217_111727

The base has also been primered, ready for some attention with the airbrush

2019-02-17_11-24-11

More later

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

Tonight's work has mostly been on the base.

Bit rough yet but the idea is starting to come together.

2019-02-17_10-44-41

Forgot to add tank tracks so this will be rectified tomorrow

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lawzer said:

wow - as already said you'd never know that was 1/72! 👍

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. Absolutely fantastic work - both on your Panzer IV and the base. It really is going to look awesome! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers chaps!!

Was hoping to do a bit today as am off on holiday for a couple of days.

Sadly I then had the great idea to do some decorating! 

Hopefully get chance to do a bit once I've tided up

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 1

Quick update on this.

Have flattened out an area on the base for the tank to sit and added track marks.

2019-02-19_11-21-37

Also managed to sneak into the garage and spray the tracks really for shading and weathering.

Currently adding the water to the base with mixed results. No photos yet but will take one if it works.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 3

No progress tonight as have been painting and decorating all day to try and get finished as in work tomorrow.

Water didn't go so well - mostly leaked all over my mat so need to think on a new plan.

All the best

Ben

• Sad 1

Sadly no progress tonight as been busy gloss painting skirting boards and door frames ready for a new carpet to be fitted tomorrow.

Hopefully there'll be some progress over the weekend.

All the best

Ben

Curses - just spent ages painting all the tools on the panzer only to discover German tools were treated with a black coating to prevent corrosion.

Currently repainting them 🙄

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

Well mine are a very dark burnt metal and they are staying that way :whistle:

Sadly mine were quite a bright steel colour, albeit very neatly painted 😭

Once I discovered they should be black, I tried living with it for an hour but it was bugging me so they got repainted (a bit less neatly unfortunately) in a black mixed with a bit of grey to tone it down to a more scale shade.

IMG_20190223_141507

I also painted the cleaning rods, wire cutter handles, tow cable, rear spare track and a few other bits around the hull.

The anti aircraft mg34 had the ammo belt painted brass (still need to add the links in black) and the cartridge bag was painted blue grey with a black top as per the real thing.

The turret schurtzen and some touch up areas were shaded with brown wash to match the rest of the tank.

I then added wear to the sprockets and idlers with steel and then washed the hull sides and lower hull with Vallejo oiled earth wash. This needs a bit of pastel work then it's ready to fit the tracks, as my model is set in Normandy in June 1944 so it will be dusty but not muddy.

IMG_20190223_141423

The base has had more water effects added - I found the trick is to just do a tiny bit at once to prevent it overflowing.

2019-02-23_02-13-03

I then did a bit more on the figures, finishing their faces and hair ready to work on the uniforms next session. These look a bit messy at the moment but hopefully it will all come together at the end.

2019-02-23_02-26-26

I also started working on the exhaust, painting this burnt umber then stippling various red brown and orange shades ready to add some pastels to bring it all together.

2019-02-23_02-29-01

All in all a productive session but a very late night :bangin:

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 4

Tracks have been sprayed gunmetal, then have had a black wash. Once dry these will have a sepia wash to give the metal a brown shade and tone down the metallic effect.

2019-02-23_02-49-35

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

WOW - That is a massive amount of progress.  It is all looking brilliant.  What are you using for the water - is it a watered down PVA or a special product.

All the best,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

WOW - That is a massive amount of progress.  It is all looking brilliant.  What are you using for the water - is it a watered down PVA or a special product.

All the best,

Steve

Many thanks Steve.

Was a good session but a very late night.

For the water effects I am using this.

2019-02-23_10-13-34

Not sure it's still made any more but I've had a bottle for about 10 years so figured it was time I used it for something. Thin layers seem to be working much better and it's now about 3/4 of the depth I want.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, badger said:

Tracks are on - need touching up in places but off to bed now as far too late

All the best

Ben

Looking forward to some pictures in the morning - nighty night :sleeping:

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, badger said:

For the water effects I am using this.

2019-02-23_10-13-34

Not sure it's still made any more

GW used to encourage players to scratchbuild their own scenery. I'm not sure that attitude fits with their current business model. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1