Badger's 1/72 Revell Panzer IV ausf H

badger

Well ............ (turret is loose)

IMG_20190209_215220IMG_20190209_215224

It's not as bad as I had expected to be honest.

There's a bit of overspray / spatter and a couple of awkward joins between colours (turret roof for example). I would also have preferred the lines to be a bit thinner to get more definition between the colours.

Having said that I am not unpleased with the result, considering this is genuinely the first time I have ever airbrushed anything other than a single colour finish.

My plan is to leave it now tonight then tomorrow go back over it with the dunkelgelb and tidy it up a bit.

Hopefully then, after it's been weathered it'll look how I want it.

Thanks for looking in

Ben

• Like 5

Just now, BIG X said:

Brilliant work Ben

Thanks mate.

It's not quite what I wanted truth be told but I think I was expecting a little too much for a first time.

Just had another good look at it and it really isn't too bad.

Sadly my compressor shut itself off (temperature cut off) before I could do the last bit of red brown so there'll be a second session in the spray booth (hopefully tomorrow).

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Very Well on the way  now Ben,  a bit of extra dunkelgelb  and it will be looking  great

Thanks Hewy - appreciate the support.

Hopefully get chance to do a bit more on this later this afternoon.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Calling the tri- colour on this done now.

2019-02-10_04-12-14

Still got a bit of spattering as can't seem to get the airbrush to spray a neat line no matter how much I thin the paint or drop the psi on the compressor.

Hopefully some weathering will sort that out.

Far happier with this result though

All the best

Ben

Ps - enjoy the match Steve! You still have 75 mins now 🤣

• Like 5

Decal time - actually these are more correctly transfers as they are dry rub from the MIG range.

Earlier in the thread I commented I wasn't looking forward to applying these as I've not had good results with them in the past.

I rather nervously cut them out (they are individual) and lined the first one up on the turret schurtzen.

IMG_20190210_212713

I quickly realised that the backing paper is very rubbery and prone to distorting, hence the slightly misshapen "8".

IMG_20190210_213935

After a stressful 10 minutes I'd done one side. They seem rather large but I like the fact there's no film to go silver.

2019-02-10_10-08-03

The balkenkrez is a revell decal.

I figured as these were masked and painted very often by the crews any issues could be put down to poor masking on the real thing!

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

I wasn't happy with the revell crosses as felt they looked a bit too big so I swopped them for some smaller dragon ones - much better.

Sadly the "4" on this side went on very wonky. Luckily this will be facing the rear of the base so won't be as noticeable.

2019-02-10_10-46-42

I had a major problem with the 2 Panzer Division trident sign in that I couldn't get the transfer to adhere over the zimmerit.

In the end I stuck it to some clear decal film and then applied this as usual, luckily the dry rub transfer didn't react to the water.

2019-02-10_10-45-51

The tank itself has had a brown wash to start the weathering process.

More soon

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 4

Last update for tonight.

The final decal was to add the number on the rear turret schurtzen.

This proved rather tricky due to the curved surface until I hit on the idea to tape it to a paint bottle.

2019-02-10_11-10-01

This made things much easier. There's a tiny bit of distortion on the 4 but I'm fairly happy with how that's all gone tonight.

I wouldn't use the transfers over decals if I had a choice, but they weren't too bad once I got used to them.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

A proper adventure there Ben...  I concur with you on the wonkyness of 'the real thing' - I was considering how 'neat' mine look on the PSC kits when compared to actual photographs - where a lot of the numbers look like they were simply painted 'freehand' by someone who had been on the lager...

Smashing results and very resourceful solutions - Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ben. Well you have been very busy and your progress is looking excellent! The paintwork and camo have turned out wonderfully and it really is enhanced with the damaged Zimmerit underneath. And I seriouysly wouldn't worry about the numbers - if you hadn't mentioned there was an issue I would not have noticed and, as Steve suggested, quite a lot of the real ones were certainly not perfect!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cheers chaps - I've mostly been enjoying this so far.

Tonight was the biggest chore - painting the rubber tyre on the road wheels. I've managed to do them all - little bit messy in places but that will all get hidden behind some weathering.

I use a mix of black and earth brown to replicate weathered rubber. Think these might be a bit too black sadly, but I'm not repainting them all now.

2019-02-11_10-45-33

The vallejo paint I used (with a large drop of retarder to slow down drying times), is still wet, hence the glossiness in the photo.

Managed to loose my first piece of etch tonight - one of the front hatch latches pinged off into another dimension so I've made a new one and got it fitted and painted.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

Nice work. For painting rubber, I mix a dark grey with a bit of black, but some matte over this will tone it down. Don't forget to tip the teeth of the drive sprocket and the contactsurface of the return roller with steel now these are still reachable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Silenoz said:

Nice work. For painting rubber, I mix a dark grey with a bit of black, but some matte over this will tone it down. Don't forget to tip the teeth of the drive sprocket and the contactsurface of the return roller with steel now these are still reachable.

Thanks for the comments - think I will have to matt varnish as the tyres have dried a bit shiny sadly.

I've tried mixing grey/black but it always looks too grey for my liking. Studying tyres on road vehicles and construction equipment shows the rubber fades but has a brown tone, hence the idea to add brown.

Had forgotten the wear on the sprocket and idler - good spot - thank you.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

23 hours ago, badger said:

The vallejo paint I used (with a large drop of retarder to slow down drying times), is still wet, hence the glossiness in the photo.

Are you using retarder to slow drying on the model, or just to stop it drying on the pallette? 

If the latter, try using a wet pallette. I use one for minifigs, and it was a revelation. You can buy one from an art shop, or make one in a shallow plastic box with a layer of wet kitchen cloth in the base, covered with a layer of baking parchment. Acrylics mixed on top of the parchment will stay usable for hours, or days/weeks if you stick a lid on. This also enables you to make a graduated mix of two shades and load your brush from different bits of the spectrum you made. With a dry pallette you need to keep making a new mix. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

The  early  nerves look to have been layed to rest , that's smashing  paint work  Ben, good job 

Many thanks - it's not quite as good as I wanted but I'm pretty happy with it.

48 minutes ago, Churchill said:

Are you using retarder to slow drying on the model, or just to stop it drying on the pallette? 

If the latter, try using a wet pallette. I use one for minifigs, and it was a revelation. You can buy one from an art shop, or make one in a shallow plastic box with a layer of wet kitchen cloth in the base, covered with a layer of baking parchment. Acrylics mixed on top of the parchment will stay usable for hours, or days/weeks if you stick a lid on. This also enables you to make a graduated mix of two shades and load your brush from different bits of the spectrum you made. With a dry pallette you need to keep making a new mix. 

Great tip - I'll look out for one of them as I do dabble in wargames figures from time to time and this sounds like it might be very useful.

Will try the home made version first then if it works for me, go pro.

In this case the retarder was to give me a bit more working time on the model as vallejo drys quite quickly and I wanted to be able to brush it smoothly around the wheels. The fact it also slowed drying time on the palette was a bonus.

Right on to tonight's progress.

I've been working on the base on and off for a few nights but decided tonight to get it further along so I can start the groundwork as this is one of my favourite bits of a model.

I sanded the filler smooth around the sides and once dry brushed on some pva glue.

I then added a couple of different shot blasting powders and a sand to add texture.

2019-02-12_10-53-49

Next I started adding a hedgerow at the back using some rubberised horsehair I've bought for this project.

This gave a pleasing random effect and will have some leaves added to it in due course. I will add a bit more to the hedge later on using some other items from my scenics box.

2019-02-12_10-57-23

More soon

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
Missing photo
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

Great looking base Ben - really nice work.

Thanks Steve - more to come on this - hoping to get some primer on it tonight as it's quite nice out.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

6 hours ago, badger said:

Thanks Steve - more to come on this - hoping to get some primer on it tonight as it's quite nice out.

All the best

Ben

Yeah - that didn't happen! Traffic was horrible on the way home and it was cold and dark when I finally got in so no chance to spray outside.

Oh well - have to wait until the weekend, plenty more I can be getting on with though.

• Like 1