Badger's 1/72 Revell Panzer IV ausf H

badger

17 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. Very impressive progress! And great work on the schurtzen - very nicely done! :clap2:It's all really looking stunning!

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks Stix

To be honest the schurtzen have gone together better than I expected. Bit worried the turret ones could be problematic but we'll see when I get to them.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Last update for today.

The hull schurtzen are done and temporarily fitted - they will be removed for painting.

I've left the first two on the right side as missing in order to show off the rubber return rollers that mark it as a mid ausf H, otherwise these would be completely hidden.

IMG_20190203_224158

I then had "fun" attaching more tiny pieces of etch, including the turret lifting hooks which are two pieces each :bangin:

IMG_20190203_224205

My tip for microscopic bits of etch is that I have a small piece of thin wood that has some double sided tape on. I stick the fret to this and using a sharp knife cut the pieces off. The tape holds them in place and prevents pinging.

The fret can then be peeled away and the pieces picked up with some needle nosed tweezers and attached to the model.

More tomorrow - off to rest my eyes now.

All the best 

Ben

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, badger said:

Last update for today.

The hull schurtzen are done and temporarily fitted - they will be removed for painting.

I've left the first two on the right side as missing in order to show off the rubber return rollers that mark it as a mid ausf H, otherwise these would be completely hidden.

IMG_20190203_224158

I then had "fun" attaching more tiny pieces of etch, including the turret lifting hooks which are two pieces each :bangin:

IMG_20190203_224205

My tip for microscopic bits of etch is that I have a small piece of thin wood that has some double sided tape on. I stick the fret to this and using a sharp knife cut the pieces off. The tape holds them in place and prevents pinging.

The fret can then be peeled away and the pieces picked up with some needle nosed tweezers and attached to the model.

More tomorrow - off to rest my eyes now.

All the best 

Ben

TOP TIP Ben and excellent work - I can't wait to see the results when the paint starts to go on.

All the best - Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ben. It looks to be going beautifully! Great tip about dealing with PE too! :thumbsup:

I'd be tempted to leave one or two of the schurtzen panels off the other side too, to show off your detailed work. Pz.IVs often lost several in use.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BIG X said:

TOP TIP Ben and excellent work - I can't wait to see the results when the paint starts to go on.

All the best - Steve

Cheers Steve. Still a while to go until paint I'm afraid.

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. It looks to be going beautifully! Great tip about dealing with PE too! :thumbsup:

I'd be tempted to leave one or two of the schurtzen panels off the other side too, to show off your detailed work. Pz.IVs often lost several in use.

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks Stix. I'm still pondering the schurtzen and will probably leave it until I have the base made up for it before I fully decide.

Right onto tonight's progress - more stupidly tiny bits of etch!

First up was the rain guards and grab handles over the turret side hatches.

This required a rectangular piece cutting out and folding twice to create a "z" shape.

My process for cutting out bits of etch is shown below 

IMG_20190204_204620

Fret stuck to some double sided tape

IMG_20190204_204706

Bits cut out with a sharp scalpel and starting to remove the fret.

IMG_20190204_204710

Fret removed leaving bits stuck to board

IMG_20190204_204811

Bits removed with needle nosed tweezers to apply to model

I then folded these twice with the help of my folding tool and stuck them on. There were then two microscopic triangular braces to go at either end which really taxed my patience and eyesight.

Once done the final bit was to add the grab handle and repeat on the other side.

IMG_20190204_221312

Next I worked on the inside of the front mudguards which is flat and featureless in the kit.

Each side had five separate pieces of etch added to represent the various fixtures and plates on the real thing.

IMG_20190204_221247

Finally I started the scenic base by sticking some blue foam offcuts to one of my usual wooden bases.

IMG_20190204_204013

This will get carved to shape once dry and smoothed out with some polyfilla.

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 6

Nice tip, I tend to use a clear slip case (or how it's called in English)

L-MAP-KANGARO-A4-PP-0-14-KLEURLOOS-(c)10

I put my PE in it and start cutting. just to avoid unnecessary bending. These are pretty cheap, so when it 's cut up completely replacements are easily found. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Very impressive work with the PE - some of it must be microscopic! Looking forward to seeing what you do with base.

Kind regards, 

Stix

59 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Those teeny bits are making my eyes hurt just looking at them! Top job!

Thanks chaps!

Well the good news is that the etch is now almost done.

IMG_20190206_223420

I've finished the hull and am working on the turret schurtzen. Just have the doors left to do which I hope to finish tomorrow.

IMG_20190206_223312

The last couple of nights have been spent fitting the final few bits of ridiculously tiny etch, including chains and retaining pins on the front towing eyes, chains on the rear plate, jack block strap, turret side door handles, rear reflector on the mudguard, three spare track links on the rear plate and many more.

IMG_20190206_223322

I also fitted a sight to the anti aircraft mg and a retaining bar to the spare wheel storage rack.

IMG_20190206_223334

I've folded up the front pieces of the turret schurtzen as well as rolling the rear piece. These will be fitted after painting along the doors I have left to do.

IMG_20190206_221102

Hopefully this will be ready for paint by the weekend.

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Hewy said:

My kit finally arrived yesterday, I've got to say yours is absolutely top draw, the sight on the mg barrel, god only knows how you managed to position it, do you use a magnifying visor

Thanks for the kind comments.

Although I have a magnifying visor I don't use it as I find it very uncomfortable with my regular glasses.

A good light, very fine tweezers and a steady hand are essential, alongside taking your time.

I use a sharpened cocktail stick to apply the glue first then hold the part in place with the tweezers until the glue sets.

More soon

Ben

• Like 2

And the etch is done!

The last few pieces were to make up the two turret schurtzen doors - each one consisting of seven pieces.

These have now been assembled and put to one side ready for primering.

IMG_20190207_213146IMG_20190207_213424

With construction of the tank finished I spent a bit of time carving the base to a rough approximation of the final shape.

IMG_20190207_215255

This is then going to be skimmed with polyfilla and textured with a variety of shot blasting powders and fine gravel to recreate a country track with a high hedge at the rear, sloping down to a stream at the front.

More soon

All the best 

Ben

• Like 4

Couldn't resist a quick play with the polyfilla before bed.

2019-02-07_10-35-05

This looks very rough but is just the basic shapes being built up and it will all be skimmed over once its dry.

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

Hi Ben. Well done on getting the etch done. Your patience with it has produced detailing in 1/72 that is rarely seen in 1/35!! :hypnotised:

Great start on the base too!

Kind regards,

Stix

I'm ashamed to say I've just gone back through your build, and it's only then you get the full gravity when you've got the kit in front of you of the quality of modelling here, excellent 72nd building, and I'm sure it'll be a quality paint job too, I've pinched a couple of tips and ideas too☺️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. Well done on getting the etch done. Your patience with it has produced detailing in 1/72 that is rarely seen in 1/35!! :hypnotised:

Great start on the base too!

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks Stix - I've really enjoyed this so far which is good as I have a few similar projects in the stash with the same amount of crazy etch.

Thanks for all the support - much appreciated

27 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I'm ashamed to say I've just gone back through your build, and it's only then you get the full gravity when you've got the kit in front of you of the quality of modelling here, excellent 72nd building, and I'm sure it'll be a quality paint job too, I've pinched a couple of tips and ideas too☺️

Pinch away - sharing's caring!! I'm rather pleased with how it's turned out but am almost too scared to paint it now, especially as I've not done a tri-colour scheme since I was a kid and (badly) brush painted my matchbox kits with humbrol enamel that was always slightly glossy in places and dead matt in others!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've spent a bit of time whilst "working" researching how to make a realistic hedgerow.

Have just ordered some rubberised horsehair as the guide I found used this as a base and I rather liked the effect.

I've got a fair stash of other scenic bits that I'm sure will be used, so my plan is to get the base ready for when this arrives.

Hoping the torrential rain here in the south east will clear up enough tomorrow to let me nip outside and get the tank primered.

Edited by badger
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, badger said:

that was always slightly glossy in places and dead matt in others

Back in the day eh, half the time if I didn't have a colour that was remotely close I'd resort to felt tips, or leave it bare plastic if that was near enough 😁,as far as I was aware badly was the only style of painting back then, no spanish

• Haha 3

Quick update

I've spent an hour sculpting the base which is almost ready for texturing now.

2019-02-08_09-43-30

I just need to tidy up and smooth out the edges a little - a good sanding session tomorrow should see that done then I can crack on with the groundwork (a task I rather enjoy).

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

And we have paint!

The wind eased off for an hour this morning and I was able to nip out and prime the panzer.

IMG_20190209_103442IMG_20190209_150919

After lunch I fired up the airbrush and gave it a coat of Tamiya XF-60 dark yellow. I thinned this 2:5 paint to thinners and dropped the compressor down to 20 psi and it sprayed beautifully.

IMG_20190209_153159

This was a huge relief as I've been having problems with spatter and the paint drying on the needle.

IMG_20190209_153214

Quite pleased with this.

The photos have a slightly blue tone due to the lighting in my spray booth.

Now to pluck up the courage to do the green and brown.

All the best

Ben

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Nice! 👍

14 minutes ago, Hewy said:

👍👍, breath is being held for you

Cheers chaps!

Off to go and play with the next colour in a min 🤞

All the best

Ben