Badger's 1/72 Revell Panzer IV ausf H

badger

Hi All

This is what I plan on building for this:

IMG_20181210_195939

IMG_20181210_200051

I'll be backdating it slightly to a mid version as the oob kit builds a late (If I remember correctly).

I also have these shiny bits for it

IMG_20181210_200149

Looking forward to this starting

All the best

Ben

• Like 6

Setting a high standard there mate - I'll try to keep up - but I'm just going OOB.  All those tiny wheels and individual track links are a bit scary - but I'm going to give the same kit a go.

GO BADGER!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Looks a nice kit Ben, you've got some nice bit to go with her.

Thanks fella - I have a bit of a thing about the Panzer IV as it's my favourite German tank by far.

23 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Setting a high standard there mate - I'll try to keep up - but I'm just going OOB.  All those tiny wheels and individual track links are a bit scary - but I'm going to give the same kit a go.

GO BADGER!!!

Cheers Steve

I'll need plenty of encouragement I think as my recent GB form has been sadly lacking.

I use a steel ruler to line the wheels up against. Put a blob of bluetack under the hull and squash it down to the right height so the wheels just touch the ground when you fit them on the axles.

Apply glue to the axles, pop on the wheels and use the edge of a steel ruler to get them all straight and true.

Easier said than done but it's worked for me in the past.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, badger said:

Thanks fella - I have a bit of a thing about the Panzer IV as it's my favourite German tank by far.

Cheers Steve

I'll need plenty of encouragement I think as my recent GB form has been sadly lacking.

I use a steel ruler to line the wheels up against. Put a blob of bluetack under the hull and squash it down to the right height so the wheels just touch the ground when you fit them on the axles.

Apply glue to the axles, pop on the wheels and use the edge of a steel ruler to get them all straight and true.

Easier said than done but it's worked for me in the past.

All the best

Ben

Top tip no1 - thanks mate ;)

• Like 2

Time to move this thread off the bottom.

And modelling has started!

2018-12-15_09-49-28

Aiming to get the basic hull and turret together tonight.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

Suffice to say that I'm not following assembly sequence suggested by revell as, frankly, the way they suggest doing things is ludicrous and would lead to multiple breakages (at least from me anyway).

Instead I'm going to build the basic lower hull, upper hull and turret, then attach the hull halves together before adding the small bits.

• Like 1

Little bit of advice for anyway building this kit. 

Make sure this bit (indicated by the point of the file is flush with the top of the mounting, otherwise the rear fenders don't fit or are very wonky.

2018-12-15_10-27-42

Hope this helps

Ben

Edited by badger
Forgot photo
  • Like 2

And that's the hull together.

Have built a fair few of these over the years and this one has definitely gone together the best.

2018-12-15_10-49-59

I'll put it down to a thorough cleanup and a couple of dry runs

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

Cheers Steve but I'd hardly call it a masterclass.

Last job for tonight was to add the major pieces of the Part etched zimmerit set. These are just superglued on and generally fit very well, just a little trimming of the glacis plate was required.

IMG_20181215_233810IMG_20181215_233819

I've already built this kit with the same etched zimmerit set, so to ring the changes I've decided not to use the hull top piece or the pieces to cover the side skirts as from what I can tell it was very rare for these areas to be zimmerited.

May also leave it off the fenders but haven't decided yet.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That is progressing really well and I like the fact the Zimmerit looks worn. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks Stix - its been a fun build so far. I rather like the used zimmerit as well as it makes a change from the neat, perfectly applied style most aftermarket manufacturers offer.

A little update tonight. The addition of the etched zimmerit means I've had to devise a new build sequence to that offered in the instructions as I need to get the zimmerit on before adding any of the detail parts.

IMG_20181216_221124

This is now almost done, with a few bits around the mantlet and the mudguards (if I fit it on these) left to do.

IMG_20181216_221147

The rear section of the gun barrel has been cut off the mantlet as there is a turned metal one to be fitted later on (if I do it now I'll definitely snap it off again!).

Once the zimmerit is done then I can start adding the smaller bits and apply the eduard etch set which includes replacement grab handles and a few other bits alongside the much nicer skirts.

Calling it a night for today though so more soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

Hopefully not going to have nightmares of the 36 individual wheel halves that need cleaning up 😫

Very much the worst part of a panzer iv build!

• Sad 1

That Zimmerit does really look excellent!

17 hours ago, badger said:

Hopefully not going to have nightmares of the 36 individual wheel halves that need cleaning up 😫

Very much the worst part of a panzer iv build!

One of the reasons I try to get them out of the way first!

Hope you got a good nights slieep.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That Zimmerit does really look excellent!

One of the reasons I try to get them out of the way first!

Hope you got a good nights slieep.

Kind regards,

Stix

Was a reasonable night thanks.

Putting off the road wheels for a little longer I settled down with a festive winter cider and did some research on what I needed to do to backdate this to a mid version.

Primary source was panzer tracts vol4 which has some very clear plans and a neat summary of all the changes by date for each version.

Based on this I decided to go with a Sept 1943 build version before the introduction of steel return rollers and cast idler in Oct 1943. This means I'll need to swop the kits return rollers for the rubber rimmed version.

The other change was to remove the 3 pilze jib boom sockets from the turret roof as these were added in July 1944.

Now you see them

IMG_20181217_205213

Now you don't!

IMG_20181217_205623

Off to raid the spares box for return rollers - back in a bit.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

Result!

These are rubber rimmed return rollers from an oop Armo conversion to backdate the Revell kit to an ausf F1/2.

2018-12-17_09-23-07

I won't be needing them for the conversion as I'm using a Trumpeter lower hull that comes with nicer ones.

They're a bit basic but they'll do the job.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Next task was to have a play with the hull machine gun.

The sandy bit is the Revell part, the other is a turned brass replacement from Barrels in Scale. Just need to drill the mounting hole out deeper.

2018-12-17_10-00-01

• Like 2

Just found this ET models etch set in the box to my ausf F conversion. Whilst it is meant for an F, I can see that at least some of it will be useful for this build to supplement the Eduard set.

Particularly useful bits include the lifting hooks for the turret and the fitting straps for the turret bin.

2018-12-17_10-24-20

Time to call it a night now though

All the best

Ben

• Like 3