1/32 F-86K Dutch air force

Very nice build. Natural metal is even harder to photograph than paint and yours looks pretty good - including the close ups. What paints and finish did you use?

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Very nice build. Natural metal is even harder to photograph than paint and yours looks pretty good - including the close ups. What paints and finish did you use?

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm! Overall it's Revell 66 99 silver (Thanks Joseph), and after gloss coat and the decals I used Humbrol 135 semi gloss as a final coat, but as you can see it came out quite mat-tish. I power-stirred the jar for maybe 5 minutes. Still, I think the looks befit the model this way. For the muzzle area, fuselage panel, and exhaust I used Tamiya X-32 with a drop of black added.

Edited by Grunticus
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grunticus said:

Thanks Malcolm! Overall it's Revell 66 silver, and after gloss coat and the decals I used Humbrol 135 semi gloss as a final coat, but as you can see it came out quite mat-tish. I power-stirred the jar for maybe 5 minutes. Still, I think the looks befit the model this way.

You are welcome Grunticus. Most of the pictures I have seen of Dutch F-86Ks, and most other natural metal aircraft of the period, show that they weathered to a fairly dull greyish sheen. Your model looks pretty convincing. I have never tried the Revell metallic paints but I am always experimenting so ma give them a try.

Cheers

Malcolm

7 minutes ago, Baldy said:

You are welcome Grunticus. Most of the pictures I have seen of Dutch F-86Ks, and most other natural metal aircraft of the period, show that they weathered to a fairly dull greyish sheen. Your model looks pretty convincing. I have never tried the Revell metallic paints but I am always experimenting so ma give them a try.

Cheers

Malcolm

That's what I did. After spraying the U/C in this colour I decided to use it over Tamiya X-32 for the entire model. I placed this Sabre next to my HK 1/32 Meteor F.4 in Tamiya X-32 to see the difference, and it's no contest. Revell wins this one even though I haven't been fond of Revell paint in the past. I am aware of the various "magic"  NMF paint lines available, but given the prices these days of a jar of paint I experiment, like you. As you pointed out, compared to the pictures the overall impression of the finish is quite pleasing (Non-Fiat below though).

yhMnhYX.jpg

Edited by Grunticus
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Grunticus said:

Thanks Malcolm! Overall it's Revell 66 silver, and after gloss coat and the decals I used Humbrol 135 semi gloss as a final coat, but as you can see it came out quite mat-tish. I power-stirred the jar for maybe 5 minutes. Still, I think the looks befit the model this way. For the muzzle area, fuselage panel, and exhaust I used Tamiya X-32 with a drop of black added.

Did you mean 99 by any chance? 66 is Olive Grey.

I like the model, hope my 1/48 Special Hobby turns out nearly as well.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

Did you mean 99 by any chance? 66 is Olive Grey.

I like the model, hope my 1/48 Special Hobby turns out nearly as well.

OMG. Yes, obviously I made a mistake and it is Revell 99, not 66. Why is there no dot on the lid? 😅

• Haha 1

That was the F-86K's nickname with the KLu.

In het land stond de F86K bekend als Kaasjager. De herkomst hiervan is twijfelachtig. Het kan herleiding zijn van de “K” s maar in de tijd van aankomst was een prominente Amsterdammer, de heer Kaasjager, in het nieuws omdat hij het parkeerprobleem op wilde heffen door de grachten te dempen.

So it might be because there was a politician in Amsterdam of that name (wanting to solve the parking problems) and because the F-86 was also a "K"

Edited by ruudster