F-4D Phantom, `Trapper`, 432nd TFW, Udorn, Thailand

8 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

This- is - an - AWESOME PHANTOM!!!! If you have time, do you mind a quick rundown on how you did the metal tail section--sorry if I missed the WIP--nevertheless--great job--I echo those who were originally fooled into thinking this was the real thing--Best, Erwin 

Thanks Erwin, for the metal tail parts I just painted the area matt black, then brushed on Humbrol(s) enamels: chrome 191, followed with a few areas in silver 11, matt varnished, drew in the lines with pencil and then dry brushed some olive drab 66 to weather it. then a coat of Klear/Future to gloss it back up a bit. 

Cheers Russ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2018 at 16:13, russ c said:

Hope you enjoy , thanks for looking, 

Cheers Russ

Hello Russ,

what a joy! Great! I made this in 1:72 in the 70ties. My little Snoopy Spook is safe under glass, i will post it....

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, replicant said:

Hello Russ,

what a joy! Great! I made this in 1:72 in the 70ties. My little Snoopy Spook is safe under glass, i will post it....

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom, look forward to seeing it.

Russ

3 minutes ago, George72 said:

Just made me sad. Such perfection I'll never be able to replicate. My sincere congratulations!!

Thanks George, if I can do it then anyone can. You`ve probably not wasted as much time as I have building them. I was lucky with the light when taking photo`s.

Cheers Russ

13 hours ago, russ c said:

Thanks Erwin, for the metal tail parts I just painted the area matt black, then brushed on Humbrol(s) enamels: chrome 191, followed with a few areas in silver 11, matt varnished, drew in the lines with pencil and then dry brushed some olive drab 66 to weather it. then a coat of Klear/Future to gloss it back up a bit. 

Cheers Russ

Russ C--thanks for the info--it truly turned out amazing--very impressive!  I can't wait to see your next build!  Best, Erwin

• Like 1

:clap2:I love it!!!!  The first pic on the top must be the original?? At least it looks so! Absolut realistic scene and top king model and very well done photgraphy

All the best

Andy

• Like 1

Lovely.

I'm reading Max Hastings' Vietnam right now and this has jumped right out of the book!  

The subject, the weathering, the look, all are spot on.

Top work. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Tinkerman said:

Absolutely fabulous, Russ. looked for the WIP, but no find. Need to know, what paints you used ? keep up the great work 

Thanks Tinkerman, I`m too lazy to do WIP`s I`m afraid, 🙂. The paints used were: Humbrol Enamels: 91 dark green weathered with 155 Olive Drab dry brushed onto it, green 30 with 117 weathering, tan 118 with mid stone and grey 140 weathering, underside is light grey 166  and white weathering, most of the metal is chrome 191.

All weathered with olive drab 66 and 155 to suggest leaks, dirt shadows etc.

Hope this helps

Russ 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, At Sea said:

Lovely.

I'm reading Max Hastings' Vietnam right now and this has jumped right out of the book!  

The subject, the weathering, the look, all are spot on.

Top work. 

Thanks At Sea, funnily enough I`m reading the same book too, very good so far, just finished the French bit.

Cheers Russ 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, russ c said:

The paints used were: Humbrol Enamels: 91 dark green weathered with 155 Olive Drab dry brushed onto it, green 30 with 117 weathering, tan 118 with mid stone and grey 140 weathering, underside is light grey 166  and white weathering, most of the metal is chrome 191.

All weathered with olive drab 66 and 155 to suggest leaks, dirt shadows etc.

I saw this on my phone at work yesterday, I was impressed then, even more so now I've seen it on the laptop, that is truly superb Russ, a scheme I'm keen to emulate in 1/72 one day so your paint hints are well welcome. Thanks. Off to look for some 1/72 decals in this or similar. :) 

6 hours ago, russ c said:

I`m reading the same book too, very good so far, just finished the French bit.

Cheers Russ 

Thanks @At Sea & Russ for the recommendation on this, as a member of the generation that lived through the later Vietnam war, I'd be keen to read this, I do like Hastings style & find him very readable.

Steve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I saw this on my phone at work yesterday, I was impressed then, even more so now I've seen it on the laptop, that is truly superb Russ, a scheme I'm keen to emulate in 1/72 one day so your paint hints are well welcome. Thanks. Off to look for some 1/72 decals in this or similar. :) 

Thanks @At Sea & Russ for the recommendation on this, as a member of the generation that lived through the later Vietnam war, I'd be keen to read this, I do like Hastings style & find him very readable.

Steve.

£13.50 in Sainsbury's right now...

£/word better than a free bible at a hotel.