Seeking Javelin FAW2 information

planemodeler

Hi All -
I am looking to convert the Airfix Javelin FAW9 to the FAW2 configuration.

I have found for the most part the exterior differences would be:
No vortex generators on the wings
Fixed stabilizer
Different engines
Smooth wing leading edges - no gun or antenna fairings.
Two wing guns each wing.

Big question is, is the wing leading edge straight or did it have the kink in it?

Does anyone have any plan drawings available that may show the layout and possibly panel lines?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you all very much in advance !!!!!
Neil

As Graham mentioned a different radome but also obliquely hinged. Another big difference is the rear end pen nib fairing. It did have vortex generators like the FAW.Mk.5  and the leading edge was kinked . Also had Aden cannons and pitot on left wing only.

Edited by T-21
  • Like 1

Hello Neil!

FAW.2 had a straight wing leading edge (viewed from the front) and the same plan form as FAW.9. Actually FAW.2 was an upgraded FAW.4 with American AI22 radar and it entered service several months later than FAW.4.

You didn't mention the scale but I guess you are talking about the 1/48 scale model. Then you have to:

- replace the seats with resin ones

- modify the rear cockpit

- modify the radome

- add a wind screen wiper

- remove In-Flight Refuel probe hatches on top of starboard intake

- add small hatches with whip aerials on the sides of the intakes

- fill the holes for Re-Heat cooling intakes on top of the rear fuselage

- use only two intake probes for artificial feel (those L -shaped tubes on top of the rear fuselage)

- remove all Vortex generators and replace them with smaller "FAW.4" style generators

- remove flame tubes from the leading edge

- fill the wing pylon slots and remove those bullet form fairings

- "fix" the air intakes as they were slightly narrower than on FAW.9

- replace the rear fuselage and jet pipes with a resin part (Alley Cat)

- scribe new panel lines to the fin as the hydraulic power control system was different than in FAW.9; hence different hatches

- fill the ground sockets in front of the main landing gear bay and re-scribe a new one on port intake side

- re-shape the starboard wing tip as there was a pitot tube only on the port wing tip

- add whip aerials under the stabilizers

And there may be other modifications needed as well. I listed these by heart. I suggest that you don't trust on drawings as there aren't really accurate ones available. Photos are a good source as are the original handbooks. I have literature on the subject so if you need something specific do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Neil.

Were you aware that Scale Aircraft Modelling Vol 4, No 4, (Jan 1982) had a 7 page article by Peter Lockhart, on doing a conversion using the Heller and Novo Javelin kits, this also had 1/72nd 3 view drawings.  Aviation News Vol 2, No 20, had 1/72nd plans of the Javalin.

Robin.

• Like 1

Hi All -

Thank you very much for the info !!!!!

I need to do more research about the vortex generators.

Some I've read said that they were introduced with the FAW4, which makes sense T-21 that the FAW2 would have them.

But googling shows some FAW2's(?) without the generators.

Antti_K, thank you for the list and the images, a great help !!!!

also, thank you Robin, a quest is in progress to seek that particular SAM issue.

Again, thank you all very much for your help !!!!!

Neil

• Like 1

Good morning Neil,

the vortex generators are an interesting question. Photos show that for example a certain FAW.4 was pictured both with and without VGs. My interpretation is that originally some FAW.4s left factory without Vortex Generators and they were added later. This in turn should prove that all FAW.2s (later version despite the number) had VGs.

Anyway Vortex Generators of the earlier marks were smaller than those of FAW.8 and 9. And there was only two rows of them: one just aft of the leading edge and the other just in front of the aileron.

Cheers,

Antti

14 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Interesting to note that the manuals still showed the original squared off exhaust fairings and not the 'pen nib' types seen on the production aircraft. (or is it just my eyes?)

Duncan B

Hello Duncan,

nothing wrong with your eyes🙂 This maintenance training manual covers all marks between FAW.1 and FAW.4. These two pictures are labeled as FAW.2 although they don't show the "pen nib" rear fuselage.

Antti

• Like 1

Hi Antti,

those images from the manual are great, thank you for posting them.  I have Javelin kits in 1:48 (Mk.7), 1:72 (Mk.7) and 1:144 and these will be of great use for  me.   Would it be OK for me to pm you about obtaining some images for the Mk.7 and Mk.9?

Best Wishes

Mike

• Like 1