HMS Valiant is 2nd SSBN

4scourge7

Not a traditional sub name, but a traditional name looking for a home: HMS Ark Royal

Sacrilege I hear you say, but there isn't going to be much opportunity for it to be used on an aviation related ship in the near future, unless the newly mentioned Littoral Strike Ships come under this banner.

Just now, Seahawk said:

Audacious and Agincourt have already been chosen for Astute class SSNs.

Blimey there's always someone🤣🤣🤣

Still thinking along the right lines👍

As for Ark Royal as thoughtfully suggested by ant Phillips...

That is reserved for when the Big Liz gets renamed....its all a little sycophantic for me QE,POW....but I get the idea...how about Angry (you wouldn't like me)....hmm too aggressive....ooh there's an idea 🤣

Well as the first three are all previous SSN names I would say it's got to be along the lines of Courageous or Conqueror. As Courageous is still in existence as our one and only floating SSN museum, Conqueror is a good bet! After all she is the only SSN in history to have actually fired her weapons in anger

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stealthman said:

Well as the first three are all previous SSN names I would say it's got to be along the lines of Courageous or Conqueror. As Courageous is still in existence as our one and only floating SSN museum, Conqueror is a good bet! After all she is the only SSN in history to have actually fired her weapons in anger

Other than all those that have fired Tomahawks

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 10:21 AM, whitestar12chris said:

From a submarine name perspective, they should name the next boat HMS Conqueror for obvious reasons.

But following the line of Nuclear submarines in the RN based on the naming of HMS Valiant this is the logical list.

1) HMS Dreadnought 1963

2) HMS Valiant 1966

3) HMS Warspite 1967

4) HMS Resolution 1967

All the best Chris

Having called Warspite correctly odds on it is Resloution for the fourth boat, a fitting tribute to our first SSBN and years of faithful service as one of our nuclear deterents on patrol.

All the best Chris

23 hours ago, junglierating said:

Ah indomitable wasnt the Ark supposed to be called that inline with the other two ...Invince  and Lusty?

The third invincible was to be named Indomitable until the Queen Mother intervened personally to have her re-named Ark Royal. Unfortunately despite saying he had no objections, Charlie didn't have the bottle to intervene personally to have POW renamed Ark Royal! Sad when you consider POW will carry the Pennant number R09 - previously carried by Ark Royal IV

On 20/02/2019 at 08:30, junglierating said:

Well Nelson is the barracks in pompey and nobody r nobody is going to name a ship Rodders....anymore

I know about Nelson in Pompey, but the way things are going with all these bases closing down in all the Branches, by the time it came to launching the fourth boat, it would be a fitting tribute to have something at Sea with HIS name on again, Nelson might be available, but, I also like the idea of the name Warspite at Sea again, a great old Lady who served us well in the past

Edited by Papa4ways

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 06:45, junglierating said:

Do you want to upset the club swingers (PTIs)  and home of Naval Sport😡😂

I spent over 30 years upsetting them by not taking the fitness test seriously so why break the habit of a lifetime!!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Didn't see that one coming. Perhaps a royal request? Its happened before. Also makes it harder to cancel, just in case.

I would stick a tenner on you being right

certainly Royal approval when mooted