HMS Valiant is 2nd SSBN

4scourge7

• 1 month later...

Missed this! Warspite would be logical, but the fourth boat becomes more interesting - another old Battleship name that also became a sub? Or a curveball, like Duke of Edinburgh?

(PS Decades of RN Submarine naming tradition thrown out the window! - in fact since the last Dreadnought/Valiant Warspite!)

• Like 1

From a submarine name perspective, they should name the next boat HMS Conqueror for obvious reasons.

But following the line of Nuclear submarines in the RN based on the naming of HMS Valiant this is the logical list.

1) HMS Dreadnought 1963

2) HMS Valiant 1966

3) HMS Warspite 1967

4) HMS Resolution 1967

All the best Chris

• Like 1

On 18/01/2019 at 20:09, Dave Fleming said:

Only if either of those countries would let it pay them a visit!

I think Ockers/ Convicts would be ok with a visit, but the South Sea Poms would probably say F off bro due to their anti nuke law IRT Nuclear Power and Armed vessels when we give they the yanks a two finger salute in the mid 80’s.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Yes, please, especially if you're offering to pay for them, like last time.

Well the last time the South Sea Poms subsided the Convicts Shipyard building the ANZAC Frigate, they got two over price tin cans that could do sweet F all and if they brought them from the old Jerry they could’ve got 3 well equip Meko’s or 4 that do sweet F all for what payed the convicts for two Frigates. And don’t even talk about the L421 and two overweight OPV’s they got from the same shipyard now run by Big And   Expensive.  Now you lads already know about Big And Expensive Shipyard with your Type 45’s and the yet to be built Type 26’s. 

Edited by Exkiwiforces

We could do with another Vanguard, our last battleship.  But what about Hood or Repulse?  We're coming up on the 80th anniversaries of their losses.  Likewise Barham.

But with QE and POW, perhaps DofE is not completely out of the question.  Without wishing to seem morbid, last night's accident might have made it a certainty if the outcome had been different.  He was a naval officer in WW2, although fairly junior, and is the longest-serving consort in British history.  So there is precedent.  But with T23 frigates lately taking Dukes' names, perhaps his name is already reserved for the lead ship T26.

2 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

We could do with another Vanguard, our last battleship.  But what about Hood or Repulse?  We're coming up on the 80th anniversaries of their losses.  Likewise Barham.

But with QE and POW, perhaps DofE is not completely out of the question.  Without wishing to seem morbid, last night's accident might have made it a certainty if the outcome had been different.  He was a naval officer in WW2, although fairly junior, and is the longest-serving consort in British history.  So there is precedent.  But with T23 frigates lately taking Dukes' names, perhaps his name is already reserved for the lead ship T26.

We currently have a Vanguard.

The Second ship of the CVA01 class was rumoured to have been going to be D of E, which was why I suggested it. Although someone said that name was not favoured as the current Earl of Wessex will adopt the DoE when his father dies.

Of course we do: how could I be so daft!  Thinking back I've even been on board her..................  Senior D'oh! moment!!  I was thinking she was a Polaris boat, which of course she most decidedly isn't  Note to self: look at forums when brain is actually functioning!

But then POW is an inherited title which the current Duke of Cambridge will inherit.  All Regal, Princely, Ducal etc titles are inherited.  If we'd had a King on the throne the 2 carriers might well have been King and Queen.  I think it is highly likely that the current DofE will be honoured in some way with a ship name, but probably a surface ship that can be seen and whose activities can be publicised.  Boomers are hardly ever seen or heard about.  He already has a barracks named after him but it isn't quite the same thing.  Something bigger than a frigate would be nice, but there's fat chance of that for a generation now.  Ocean of course won't be replaced.

One thing is certain: the Lords of the Admiralty will be sweating the last 2 SSBN names.

The SSN sequence would take us to Churchill (popular choice), Conqueror (slightly sensitive?), Courageous which fits in nicely with the 'fearless' naming theme emerging if we do get Warspite.

So my vote would be Courageous - or maybe even Fearless itself! (famous ship)

On 1/18/2019 at 10:31 PM, Das Abteilung said:

I agree would be nice too see Barham would also like to see Royal Oak come back

With Royal Oak being a war grave in home waters, right inshore in the fleet anchorage, and with the embarrassing circumstances of her loss in the anchorage and the constant reminder of the pollution control still in place above the wreck I can't see the name ever being re-used.  Yes, some of the other names mentioned were lost with casualties but at sea and in combat.

For what it's worth I sold the last 3 remaining High Seas Fleet wrecks in Scapa Flow belonging to MOD to the Orkney Islands Council.  Must have been 1987.  I was approached a couple of times about Royal Oak, along with other war grave wrecks like the M and K class submarines off the South coast.  War grave wrecks, which include peacetime losses, are never sold.

Coming back towards topic, believe it or not I was also approached several times while I was doing naval disposals by people wanting to buy decommissioned nuclear-powered subs to convert to undersea tourist vessels - including 1 idiot who proposed to install viewing windows!!  No sale ........

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

'Valiant' should never be used on a 'Bomber', former shipmates would not be impressed. Valiant & Churchill class were 'hunter-killer' SSNs! 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/01/2019 at 21:45, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Since hull 1 is Dreadnought and 2 is Valiant, Warspite’s got to be a decent bet for no 3.

How about HMS Nelson or Rodney for Boat 4, these were two good old Battle-Wagons