BOAC Cunard Super VC-10 in 1/144

Another outstanding build Dave, thank you for sharing.

The VC-10 is one of the most graceful airliners built, I think especially due to the beautiful design of the rear end. I love how years ago we were converting Airfix standard VC-10s into supers, and now we're going the other way with Rodens kit. I've got one stalled on my shelf hoping to be an East African Airways Super someday, but I've never been too convinced by the plan view of the Roden nose. 

What grey did you use for the lower surfaces, looks spot on?

Jeff

• Like 3

Great job , looks ace  . SGD was one of the unlucky ones that never made the cut for the RAF K4 conversion programme  and ended up at Brize with SGE , SGF and Gulf Air Standard RVJ on the scrap pan and Fire Dump 91/92 . I was robbing bits of all of them for the ones we had in the hangar... I always picked a nice hot sunny day for it too !

Good work , thanks for showing . Always good to see a Ten !

• Like 2

A great result Dave, and I would think even in its previous state worthy of presenting in the RFI forum. :thumbsup:

I have a started Airfix VC-10 languishing in the cave on some distant forgotten shelf that needs some TLC to get finished. perhaps one day it might end up here.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

This is superb, as I knew it would be, and as Dennis says it does look good sitting on that base it really finishes it off.

Interesting to note your model is just a little earlier than mine because you don't have contrasting door outlines.

I'm glad you've posted it because I've noticed a couple of omissions on my model, I completely missed out the two black squares on the top of the fuselage, I guess they're aerials of some sort, and the red light on the top of the tail. So much for my standards! I'll have to fix those two.

8 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

In the early summer my wife decided we were going to redecorate our shared office-cum-hobbies-room

Ah, that explains your low production rate over the recent months! Good to see democracy is alive and well in your house too!

I too have more Roden Supers to convert to Standards which I'm looking forward to doing, which livery is yours going to be Dave?I

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments everybody.  Makes it all worthwhile :)

8 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

....but I've never been too convinced by the plan view of the Roden nose. 

What grey did you use for the lower surfaces, looks spot on?

Jeff

That's interesting Jeff. I can't say I've noticed an issue with the nose shape.  I have a copy of "Silent, Swift, Superb" by Scott Henderson which has some three-view drawings although they're pretty small scale. To my eyes the kit nose doesn't look glaringly wrong alongside the drawings.

The grey is Halfords Racking Grey

2 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Dave,

This is superb, as I knew it would be, and as Dennis says it does look good sitting on that base it really finishes it off.

Interesting to note your model is just a little earlier than mine because you don't have contrasting door outlines.

I'm glad you've posted it because I've noticed a couple of omissions on my model, I completely missed out the two black squares on the top of the fuselage, I guess they're aerials of some sort, and the red light on the top of the tail. So much for my standards! I'll have to fix those two.

Ah, that explains your low production rate over the recent months! Good to see democracy is alive and well in your house too!

I too have more Roden Supers to convert to Standards which I'm looking forward to doing, which livery is yours going to be Dave?I

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian. There are a couple of subtle differences between the early BOAC Cunard livery and the later version with the door outlines.  The early version (as on my model) has the narrow blue stripes extending forward from the fin which are absent from the later scheme and the extreme aft of the cheatline extends right to the end of the fuselage instead of finishing at an angle just behind the engines. Despite the problems I had with the decals, Ray did an excellent job of providing alternatives for both schemes as well as clear and comprehensive instructions.

We'd been saying for some time that the "den" really had to be redecorated but it was one of these things that kept being put off until my wife took it on herself to phone the painter, get a date from him then tell me what she'd done!  I'm glad she did otherwise it would never have happened. It was a huge upheaval but worth it. As well as the nice fresh decor we now have vinyl on the floor which makes finding dropped things so much easier!

The Standard livery is tba but the British United delivery scheme (navy stripe, red lettering) is the most likely at the moment.

god damn it - VC-10's just look so amazingly sexy don't they

A great looking model and a reminder for me that I am lucky enough to have been alive long enough to remember these birds thundering over my house every day as a child living in Wokingham wearing BOAC and then BA's Negus colours

That's a very nice bit of civil modelling there and for me, something that instantly draws my attention on the forum.

Keep Calm and Vicky-ten on

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

.. I am lucky enough to have been alive long enough to remember these birds thundering over my house every day as a child living in Wokingham wearing BOAC and then BA's Negus colours

Thanks GS. In the 1960s and 70s my aunt and uncle lived in Uxbridge and when we made our every-other-year trip down from Scotland at least one full day's spotting at LHR was de rigeur. LHR was a very different place then but I'm glad I can remember seeing VC-10s in the flesh, so to speak. They really were awesome aircraft.