De Havilland Vampire FB Mk.9, 1/48 Alley Cat

Baldy

Here is my 213 Squadron Vampire based at RAF Deversoir, Egypt, in the early 50s.

The kit turned out to be more difficult than I anticipated. It has few parts but on cleaning up and washing the components, I had to deal with a number of poorly formed areas and some air bubbles. I had one particular area on the port side under the cockpit which "delaminated" as I cleaned it. Eventually, I sanded way back to good solid resin and had to fill and reshape/re-engrave the whole area. I also had problems with the starboard boom which was bent and twisted - I spent a good hour with a bowl of hot water getting it straightened out. I have had few issues with other Alley Cat kits/conversions in the past.

The kit was finished pretty much OOB once the parts were tidied up. Fit was difficult around the nose section. The only additions were pitot tubes/aerial from metal tubes and replacing the woeful white metal balance weights under the tail with scratch build items (Extruded styrene aerofoil plus milliput)

Paints were Tamiya XF-83 for the Medium Sea Grey and a mix by eye based on XF-65 Field Grey for the Light Slate Grey. Underside was Xtracrylics PRU Blue. The decals were excellent.

Cheers

Malcolm

DvUVaH8.jpg

FcHzKhp.jpg

e1KBDLi.jpg

O1dv4Za.jpg

• Like 39

On 12/10/2018 at 1:20 PM, Lord Riot said:

What a beautiful Vampire. How big is it in this scale? 

Thank you. The model is approx. 20 cm long and wingspan is approx. 24 cm

15 hours ago, BigginHill said:

Great job, i have to confess my one ended up in the bin 🙂

This one nearly went in the bin a few times too!

Thank you all for your kind words

Cheers

Malcolm