colorful CF-104's

72modeler

Some very nice pictures there, hope you don't mind if I add some info.

The top picture with the 3 special schemes was taken in 1983 when each of the Canadian Squadrons based at Baden Sollingen painted one of the their mounts in special colours to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the base: 421 Sqn, painted theirs in red with a large white arrow and native american chief, naming this aircraft Red Indian. 441 Sqn. painted theirs in black with white chequers and a large "441" on the tail. 439 Sqn. painted theirs in their "traditional" tiger scheme.

Earlier 421 Sqn had painted another CF-104 in a different red and white scheme, seen in the picture immediately below. This was in 1981-82 ad the aircraft was known as Flying Coke Bottle

Another 441 Sqn. "Checkerbird" is seen in another picture in the page, this time painted in black/white chequers overall. This was in 1981 and it's interesting to see that one aircraft in the formation is still in the older overall green scheme while the other two are in the then brand new camouflage.

And another tiger striped Starfighter is also shown on the page, this one was taken in 1977. 439's tiger patterns have evolved over time, I suggest any modeller interested in these to get the Belcher Bits decal sheet, that have schemes for most of these.

The red white and blue 417 Sqn aircraft wore this scheme in 1983 just before leaving the CF-104 and disbanding. I believe the aircraft flyinf in formation with the USN Phantoms are also from 417, the picture is of course much older.

The aircraft launching rockets was with AETE (Aerospace Engineering and Test Establishment) in 1974, was used to test the then new CRV-7 rockets.

Last bit of trivia: the castle overflown by both the 1977 Tiger and the overall green aircraft is Hohenzollern Castle, not far from Stuttgart and the former base of Baden Sollingen (that is today Karlsruhe/Baden Baden airport)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1