1:48 Specat Jaguar GR.3 - 16 Sqn, RAF Coltisall, 2005

I seem to be on a theme of RAF jets lately and I've had this one in the stash for a couple of years so finally got round to building it. 

To be honest, it isn't one og my best builds - I think I've got the dark grey too dark. Its also a very old kit and it shows in the fit. I used the Eduard PE set for the GR1 and replaced the ejector seat with a resin Martin Baker Mk 9 from PJ Productions. The decals were from the Model Alliance Jaguar GR3 RAF Special Schemes 2005 Part 1.

DSC_1700.JPG

DSC_1684.JPG

DSC_1686.JPG

DSC_1690.JPG

DSC_1691.JPG

DSC_1692.JPG

DSC_1694.JPG

DSC_1695.JPG

DSC_1696.JPG

DSC_1699.JPG

• Like 31

I don’t think you’ve got a lot to be ashamed of there; the upper surface grey doesn’t look too far out at all.  One of the very few things that you could have done differently is to model the engine suction relief doors on the sides of the main intakes fully closed (fill and sand flush works most times) as these were only open with engines running, unlike the powered doors on TSR 2 or the “droopy” upper doors on Harriers.

9 hours ago, stever219 said:

One of the very few things that you could have done differently is to model the engine suction relief doors on the sides of the main intakes fully closed (fill and sand flush works most times) as these were only open with engines running, unlike the powered doors on TSR 2 or the “droopy” upper doors on Harriers.

The kit is moulded that way sadly, so unless you were to cut these out and rebuild them, you don't have much choice in the matter :( Like I said its a very old Airfix kit vintage early 90s

Always one of my favourite 'special' schemes, and not too shabby a build of it ( I'm hyper critical of any Jaguar 🙂 ) - just one thing that I noticed - you've got the nose door lights on the wrong side of the door

2 hours ago, JagRigger said:

Always one of my favourite 'special' schemes, and not too shabby a build of it ( I'm hyper critical of any Jaguar 🙂 ) - just one thing that I noticed - you've got the nose door lights on the wrong side of the door

Ahhh thank you for that - I thought they looked a bit odd! Should the domes be the same colour as the interior of the nose wheel bay then?