Dragon/Platz 1/35 Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.D - ### FINISHED ###

PlaStix

Hi Stix,

Sorry I'm late to this one but I'm sitting here waiting to start 'Dad's Taxi Service' tonight and thought I'd have a good catch up with the GB threads. Fantastic start and loving the 'lessons'.

Happy New Year!! 🎆

• Like 1

On 29/12/2018 at 19:04, Ozzy said:

Nice progress Stix, you’ve definitely brought you grey to life. 

Hi Ozzy and thank you. This is the thing with single colour AFVs - making the one colour finish look 'interesting'. I'm still pondering the final weathering which, I hope, will stop it looking a bit monotone.

On 30/12/2018 at 05:57, Hewy said:

Looks great👍 terrific job

Thank you very much Glynn.

On 30/12/2018 at 13:13, FrancisGL said:

Fantastic job with tools and equipment, Definitely, these little details provide a great quality to the vehicle when they are in place...:popcorn:

Cheers Stix :santa:

Hi Francis. Thank you for your comments. I usually try and get items like the tools finished early so that I'm not left with them to do after completing the main parts of the tank.

On 30/12/2018 at 16:58, fatfingers said:

Aye up Stix.

Looking grand. Paint and dry brushing gives a realistic 'steel' look to the model :thumbsup:

Regards 

Steve 

Hi Steve and thank you. It's a good job that dry-brushing helps because it's one of only a few techniques I have available!

On 31/12/2018 at 23:14, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Stix,

Sorry I'm late to this one but I'm sitting here waiting to start 'Dad's Taxi Service' tonight and thought I'd have a good catch up with the GB threads. Fantastic start and loving the 'lessons'.

Happy New Year!! 🎆

Hi Nigel and thank you for your comments and Happy New Year to you too.

Not had much chance to do anything significant on this over the past few days. First job was to cut the tools and other stuff (in the last photo above) away from the sprues and tidy up and paint the areas where they had been attached. No photo though as they look pretty much the same as they do in the photo above but without the sprue bits attached!

Then I made a start on the weathering processes on the sides of the lower hull. Some chipping was done first with very thinned Humbrol Gunmetal, followed by very, very thinned Revell's Anthracite applied by very fine pointed brush. Then I added some very thinned  Railmatch Light Rust in places. Finally, for now, I added some light runs down the sides using very thinned Light Rust, Light Grey, Anthracite and Citadel's Nuln Oil. I'm going to add some thinned mud colours (probably stippling them on) before attaching the suspension units.

45831494854_9a933aa397_b.jpg

32682150848_064a515b90_b.jpg

I did similar processes on the suspension units:

45831493964_de85cd6a8b_b.jpg

Back to work tomorrow so probably no modelling until the weekend.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Happy New Year!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 9

On 01/01/2019 at 19:25, Badder said:

Happy new year Stix,

As always, great to see the old wet and dry-brushing being used to great effect.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder and Happy New Year to you too. Thank you very much for your comments. I must admit that, until I start getting the washes and dry-brushing on, I'm always unsure as to whether I'm going to be able to replicate the processes I have done before and get the effects I want - hence the reasons why I keep putting some stages of the weathering off. Looking forward to getting some more done on this over the weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 04/01/2019 at 18:17, FrancisGL said:

The contrast with the resources you have chosen are very interesting, and the appearance is magnificent, I love ...:popcorn:

Cheers Styx :santa:

Hi Francis. Thank you very much for you comments. 

This weekend I have been working on the weathering on the sides of the lower hull.

First up I stippled on some very, very thinned Humbrol Dessert Yellow. I use this to sort of represent dried, slightly dusty, earth.

31676173407_3db3a54cd4_b.jpg

32743086698_29e9852e77_b.jpg

Next up I stippled on some very, very thinned Humbrol Dark Earth. It's a little difficult to see mach of what I did because of the poor light quality this morning:

31676180337_f88517c2b1_b.jpg

39652361923_6d5ff915c6_b.jpg

At this point I needed to get the suspension units glued in place. To make sure they were level I temporarily placed the inner road wheels in place and added some weight in the lower hull:

45702915395_5a062da2fc_b.jpg

With the wheels removed:

31676190047_39dcf8106a_b.jpg

46617158361_99e5085a48_b.jpg

Then I weathered the suspension units to match the sides of the hull:

46617165421_4b550bb10a_b.jpg

31676194737_a91e63a54b_b.jpg

I did add some Vallejo Mud but the light quality wasn't very good to make it worth taking any photos.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 8

Progressing nicely on the muddying Stix.

I can picture the dark earth even though it doesn't show much in the photos. 'tis amongst my favourite colours.

I take it your base will be of dry Balkanian foothills rather than wet Balkanian marshland?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

On 05/01/2019 at 22:43, Badder said:

Progressing nicely on the muddying Stix.

I can picture the dark earth even though it doesn't show much in the photos. 'tis amongst my favourite colours.

I take it your base will be of dry Balkanian foothills rather than wet Balkanian marshland?

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder and thank you for your comments. Yeah I'm going to leave the wet mud weathering to the your good-self.

On 05/01/2019 at 22:46, Hewy said:

Quality, very effective look

Thank you Glynn.

On 06/01/2019 at 08:40, Ozzy said:

Nice weathering Stix's, it's something I'm hopefully going to do myself over the weekend.

Hi Ozzy. Thank you and I hope your weathering has gone okay.

23 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

As the mates have said before, the weathering so far is very effective, I love the mixture between gray / sand...:popcorn:

Cheers Stix :santa:

Hi Francis and and thank you for your comments.

Today has seen me concentrating on the sides of the lower hull again. As I mentioned above - yesterday I got the base mud weathering on using Vallejo's European Mud:

32754379018_68603f4944_b.jpg

39663678533_434c378830_b.jpg

I use a cocktail stick to apply the mud.

As you can see from the above photos, some of the weathering streaks I added to the hull before have been partially obscured by the stippled on weathering and the mud. So next I spent a bit of time re-applying some of the streaks over the weathering. I didn't redo them all figuring that some of the weathering would cover some of the older streaks.

32754382458_1b6ec1e8a6_b.jpg

45714082785_ed07283862_b.jpg

Then I felt I had got most of the trickier weathering on the hull sides out of the way so it was time to attach the running gear. Everything except the drive sprockets is glued in place. I had to take the photos below under electric light as it was too late in the day for decent daylight photos.

45908839214_0b2d780c30_b.jpg

45908839004_ffd8f7bb7d_b.jpg

46633420771_2608e3146a_b.jpg

46633420341_ef66e40456_b.jpg

Edit: Please note - Badder (below) noticed that in the last four photos the mud looks quite orangey! The colour is a bit off due to the photos being taken under electric light. It is still actually the same colour as the photos above these!

The wheels, rollers, sprockets and idlers will all need to weathered at some point to match in with the lower hull sides.

After I had got the above attached I did a test fit of the tracks but they were way too tight - even just to go round and join up, let alone have some possible chance of offering some sag between the rollers. So I spent some time carefully stretching the tracks. I have currently got them so they are two links too long - which I think should be enough. So I will get these painted next.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder and thank you for your comments. Yeah I'm going to leave the wet mud weathering to the your good-self.

Oh Bal.......kanians. I had hoped you were going to say, 'no, I'm going to wet mine as well at some point'.

If I can't get the lid off my oil stain bottle, I might have to change my hull to one covered with frozen mud, frost, ice and snow!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Thank you Glynn.

Hi Ozzy. Thank you and I hope your weathering has gone okay.

Hi Francis and and thank you for your comments.

Today has seen me concentrating on the sides of the lower hull again. As I mentioned above - yesterday I got the base mud weathering on using Vallejo's European Mud:

32754379018_68603f4944_b.jpg

39663678533_434c378830_b.jpg

I use a cocktail stick to apply the mud.

As you can see from the above photos, some of the weathering streaks I added to the hull before have been partially obscured by the stippled on weathering and the mud. So next I spent a bit of time re-applying some of the streaks over the weathering. I didn't redo them all figuring that some of the weathering would cover some of the older streaks.

32754382458_1b6ec1e8a6_b.jpg

45714082785_ed07283862_b.jpg

Then I felt I had got most of the trickier weathering on the hull sides out of the way so it was time to attach the running gear. Everything except the drive sprockets is glued in place. I had to take the photos below under electric light as it was too late in the day for decent daylight photos.

45908839214_0b2d780c30_b.jpg

45908839004_ffd8f7bb7d_b.jpg

46633420771_2608e3146a_b.jpg

46633420341_ef66e40456_b.jpg

The wheels, rollers, sprockets and idlers will all need to weathered at some point to match in with the lower hull sides.

After I had got the above attached I did a test fit of the tracks but they were way too tight - even just to go round and join up, let alone have some possible chance of offering some sag between the rollers. So I spent some time carefully stretching the tracks. I have currently got them so they are two links too long - which I think should be enough. So I will get these painted next.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

I note a marked difference in colour between the mud on your 'unwheeled hull' compared to that of the 'wheeled hull'.

Did you re-colour the mud, or is that just down to the lighting?

I ask because I have to say I prefer the earlier mud. That's just my personal taste of course. It's great mud either way.

We seem to be at exactly the same stage btw.

Did you use a hot water bath to aid the stretching of your tracks, and did you stretch short lengths at a time so as not to overstretch the middle section?

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Badder said:

Oh Bal.......kanians. I had hoped you were going to say, 'no, I'm going to wet mine as well at some point'.

If I can't get the lid off my oil stain bottle, I might have to change my hull to one covered with frozen mud, frost, ice and snow!

Rearguards,

Badder

I did think about a wet mud base but I did that for the M3/M4 STGB. Some of the photos I've found of Pz.IVs in the Balkans don't look badly damaged or very weathered.

8 minutes ago, Badder said:

Did you re-colour the mud, or is that just down to the lighting?

I ask because I have to say I prefer the earlier mud. That's just my personal taste of course. It's great mud either way.

Hi again Badder. It is just the lighting. I normally try to take my photos in natural daylight where possible - where I do my modelling is next to a south facing window. Even on dull days I can stick what I'm doing on the window sill and it gives, I think, a better representation of the colour. This afternoon it had got too dark so I took the photos under electric light and the mud looks quite orange!! It isn't!!

18 minutes ago, Badder said:

Did you use a hot water bath to aid the stretching of your tracks, and did you stretch short lengths at a time so as not to overstretch the middle section?

I couldn't get to the kitchen sink this afternoon - the evening meal was in progress! - so I resorted to a hair drier. I did try to do the track stretching in shorter sections but found that heating the next section warmed the previous section enough for it to return to it's original length! Anyway they are still stretched at the moment. I held them up on the glass on the back window to get them to cool down more quickly.

And yes we do seem to at similar stages but I think you may edge into the lead over the next week. I won't be able to get much done until the weekend. Hope yours goes well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 06/01/2019 at 19:05, Ozzy said:

The weatherings going nicely thanks, yours is coming along nicely.

Yes your progress does seem to be very good! :clap2: ....and thank you. :thumbsup:

On 06/01/2019 at 19:46, Hewy said:

Nice bit of mud work stix, 

Thank you Glynn but most of the credit should go to the product - not the applicator! Vallejo's mud products are really good!

16 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Stix this is shaping up to be probably your best build yet.

The painting is (as always) superb and the weathering effects on it are superb, the mud effect looks very realistic and I hope mine turns out half as good.

Hi Craig. Thank you very much - you are far too kind as always. I'm sure yours will be excellent!

I have managed to find a bit of time over the previous two evenings. On Monday evening I got the tracks painted with thinned Revell's Anthracite:

45928874104_b748df8dbf_b.jpg

Then yesterday evening I dry-brushed them with Humbrol's Gunmetal:

45928873324_fc18a64eb2_b.jpg

They do not actually look that silver in reality! It's the electric lighting I'm having to take these photos under during the evening.

If i get chance I may try and get some of the weathering started with some washes this evening.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work on the tracks Stix, the anthracite with the dry brushed gun metal works very well and I'm sure you will be giving them a very used look as well.

Thank you Craig. I have started on the 'used' look yesterday evening as you will see below.

17 hours ago, Hewy said:

See, if I'd just have Flippin well waited till you do a step by step on your tracks, I wouldn't have made a pigs ear of mine, 

🤪

:rofl2: Well there's another step below! 

Yesterday evening I was able to get very, very thinned washes of Humbrol's Desert Sand applied to both sides of both tracks:

31733245787_128f64777b_b.jpg

This gives them a slightly dusty, yellowy appearance. If you check out this thread below it gives some more information about WW2 German track colour and you can perhaps see why I go down the route I do.

I think I still need another thinned wash of Desert Sand on the outer faces of the tracks then I will start the next stages of the weathering.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Stix. 1st off I wish you the most prosperous of new years. Now on to business:As ever only one remark. 

Beautifull job so far mate!! 

Regards:

Shaun 

• Thanks 1

Hot damn! That looks good!

I'm amazed by what you accomplish with craft paints, a brush and some washes.

Meanwhile, I spent the last few days with a veritable chem lab of oils, thinners, filters, etc., to weather my IS-2, and it looks like hot garbage.

Guess it goes to show how far a little artistic skill can take you (and how no amount of fancy product can hide lack of said skill).

I hope you can post more how-to videos soon. Teach me, sensei!

• Thanks 1