Dragon/Platz 1/35 Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.D - ### FINISHED ###

PlaStix

Nice job Stixs, those figures look really good. There is a little artist licence with stowage, the millions of photographs taken only a small number have ever been published. The rest are probably lost forever, so stowage away.

• Thanks 1

Hi Stix,

Liking all of the figures except the 'pointy-finger' one. I always think pointy-finger figures look too contrived. Perhaps change his motives and have a messenger pigeon, budgie, or an eagle perched on his finger? 🙂

Joking aside, great work as always. The base is going to be another work of art, I'm sure. You have bases down to a tea tee.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

On 11/02/2019 at 13:09, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Stix and :wow:

Already looks superb; cant wait for the final instalment!!

Hi Nigel. Thank you very much, as always. Not quite at the final installment over the weekend but I did get a bit more done on the base as you will be able to see below.

On 11/02/2019 at 13:12, Robert Stuart said:

Mmm. I'm intrigued by your base ...

mmm.........in what way???....

On 11/02/2019 at 17:02, Hewy said:

Looking great, a Quality  base in progress 👍👍,  how have you done the edges on the mdf,  did you just sand them after cutting out with a jigsaw?, or have you routed them

Hi Glynn and thank you for you comments. I used a coping saw at an angle to cut around the base with the base held flat on my bench. I then filed it with a half round file before finishing it off with, first course glasspaper, and then very fine glasspaper. Hope that helps.

On 11/02/2019 at 19:16, modelling minion said:

Very, very nice Stix.

The figures look great and the base will be another masterpiece by the look of it.

Hi Craig and thank you - you are too kind.

On 11/02/2019 at 20:16, Ozzy said:

Nice job Stixs, those figures look really good. There is a little artist licence with stowage, the millions of photographs taken only a small number have ever been published. The rest are probably lost forever, so stowage away.

Hi Ozzy and thank you. Yeah there does seem to be a multitude of different ways to do the stowage. I am going to keep it fairly simple on this one.

On 11/02/2019 at 23:36, Badder said:

Hi Stix,

Liking all of the figures except the 'pointy-finger' one. I always think pointy-finger figures look too contrived. Perhaps change his motives and have a messenger pigeon, budgie, or an eagle perched on his finger? 🙂

Joking aside, great work as always. The base is going to be another work of art, I'm sure. You have bases down to a tea tee.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder and thank you for your comments. Yeah I know what you mean about the pointing figure but I've painted him so I'm going to use him! There's got to someone pointing at something to explain the other figures all looking in the direction he's pointing - I'm sure they wouldn't be that co-ordinated on their own!! :winkgrin:

With regards the base; I'm not planning on doing anything even vaguely interesting with it. It's going to be a patch of land for the Pz.IV to be parked on!

On 12/02/2019 at 09:33, FrancisGL said:

Excelent set, as always, and the base small and simple but very effective, I love it.:popcorn:

Cheers Stix 👍

Hi Francis and thank you for your kind comments.

Not much to report on this project today - most of my modelling time over the weekend was spent on the 1/48 Pz.IV J I'm also making. I did get some basic green stuff on but I had to wait for it to dry each time.

First off I added Woodlands Scenics Blended Turf - held in place with diluted PVA woodglue:

33238750758_d3a1d5edaf_b.jpg

Then, once dry, I added a mix of Woodlands Scenics light green Foliage netting and a little medium green Underbrush - again held in place with diluted PVA woodglue:

47126899081_b81d5cac26_b.jpg

I did make a start on the tufts and grasses but it was getting a little too dark for photos.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 18/02/2019 at 12:38, Robert Stuart said:

The simple elegance of your approach

You are too kind Robert. 

On 18/02/2019 at 21:04, modelling minion said:

Excellent work on the base Stix, very effective.

Thank you Craig. Bit more done over the past couple of days although not a lot.

On 19/02/2019 at 05:19, Hewy said:

It is very effective indeed, looks a nice place to have a picnic, 

Splendid job

Thank you Glynn - and yes - apart from the Pz.IV that's going to be spoiling the view soon!

On 19/02/2019 at 23:45, wimbledon99 said:

After watching your builds, Stix, I so need to have a bash at a base some time soon. I keep saying it but never seem to drum up the courage :wonder:

Hi Nigel. It would be worth having a go at making a base at some point - they set off the model nicely - hopefully, even a very simple one like the one I'm doing for this project.

As I mentioned to Craig, above, I've done a little bit more on the base - adding some grass tufts mostly:

32226789607_809a2c8d58_b.jpg

Next I need to get the Pz.IV attached and then I'll finish the rest of the base. There's not much else I'm going to do with this one apart from make the tracks look bedded in.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

wow:wow:

It's those damnable yellow flowers again! They really are excellent - lifting the groundwork from superb to perfect! You'll have to remind me where you got them Stix and don't say 'an online shop' I want the company/product names please!

Rearguards,

Badder

On 21/02/2019 at 19:13, Badder said:

wow:wow:

It's those damnable yellow flowers again! They really are excellent - lifting the groundwork from superb to perfect! You'll have to remind me where you got them Stix and don't say 'an online shop' I want the company/product names please!

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder and thank you. The flowers are from the Army Painter range and are the set called Meadow Flowers. I must admit I can’t remember which model shop I got them from - probably the one that closed down a while back in Derby - but they were bought in a shop rather than online. They are available online though.

Well I managed to get this project finished at the weekend:

46476027464_132ea4cda7_h.jpg

More photos can be found in the -

Gallery: Here

Armour RFI section: Here

Diorama RFI section: Here

Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment and offer support or advice in my thread.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

15 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder and thank you. The flowers are from the Army Painter range and are the set called Meadow Flowers. I must admit I can’t remember which model shop I got them from - probably the one that closed down a while back in Derby - but they were bought in a shop rather than online. They are available online though.

Well I managed to get this project finished at the weekend:

46476027464_132ea4cda7_h.jpg

More photos can be found in the -

Gallery: Here

Armour RFI section: Here

Diorama RFI section: Here

Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment and offer support or advice in my thread.

Kind regards,

Stix

That looks amazing. You say you brush painted it? It looks airbrushed! I love the piece you chose as the base, the whole thing in general is much better than I could ever hope to achieve. Lovely work Stix!

RJ

Well Stix, another immaculate build. from your good self. Very well done 👍👍

I wish I had an ounce of your patience for adding all the subtle improvements to the model and dio it really makes your builds stand out.

Cheers Greg

Hi Stix,

I WILL forgive your use of 'Pointy Finger Man', because he's been painted beautifully.

I am disappointed that you didn't take up my suggestion and perch a budgie on his finger though.

Everything else is utterly perfect.

A contender for the trophy, yet again. Win this and we'll have to start thinking about a handicap!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...