Dragon/Platz 1/35 Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.D - ### FINISHED ###

PlaStix

This will be the kit I will be using for this STGB:

31310640717_de65330966_b.jpg

As you can probably see from the artwork on the back of the box - this is a simplified Dragon kit with far fewer parts than their usual offerings:

45525993284_5689e6bccd_b.jpg

I'm also going to include some figures from MiniArt:

31310640367_6db58ab8b2_b.jpg

I may also make base for it to go on.

I'm really looking forward to getting started next weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 13

Hi Stix,

It says on the box 'for immediate assembly' so I expect it to be all glued together one minute after 'opening time' 🙃

Rearguards, and good luck,

Badder

• Haha 3

On 10/12/2018 at 18:20, Ozzy said:

A nice selection of goodies Stix, I bet your box is brimming with bit too. Those figures look nice.

Hi Ozzy. You might be surprised to learn that - although this is a Dragon kit - it has far fewer parts than usual Dragon kits as you will see below. So no box full of plastic like your kit.

19 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Stix,

It says on the box 'for immediate assembly' so I expect it to be all glued together one minute after 'opening time' 🙃

Rearguards, and good luck,

Badder

:rofl2:     er......we'll see...........

I decided to take the sprue photos this evening so I can get straight on in the morning. 

All the box contents bar the instructions:

44498834240_d77924a858_b.jpg

Some closeups:

46265201012_fabf1874c6_b.jpg

45402764525_93a52e2776_b.jpg

46265208292_b28d0541ee_b.jpg

46315507181_bc3b8358b3_b.jpg

45402771975_23887de449_b.jpg

46315506881_84079c437e_b.jpg

46315506631_428b4c87cc_b.jpg

The decals:

46265210172_48339de611_b.jpg

The tracks:

46265210122_f9df5da5e9_b.jpg

The instructions:

45402791535_14da0f0397_b.jpg

44498850200_c56dfe8d1d_b.jpg

44498849890_dc44e7d1f6_b.jpg

So, in theory, this should be a fairly straightforward build - the kit seems to get fairly good reviews.

I can't wait to get started tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

Hi Stix,

That certainly looks a lot 'easier' than the usual Dragon fare. I must say that those tracks look particularly good, with open 'eyelets' in the central track guides, and the more open (holey) links in general. Waaaaay better than the Tamiya rubber bands.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Stix,

That certainly looks a lot 'easier' than the usual Dragon fare. I must say that those tracks look particularly good, with open 'eyelets' in the central track guides, and the more open (holey) links in general. Waaaaay better than the Tamiya rubber bands.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder. Yes - having seen some of the sprue shots from other Pz.IV Dragon kits posted in this GB - my 5 sprues look less impressive - should hopefully still be an interesting build though. The tracks are nicely detailed - however, because they are bands, I’ve got to think how I’m going to get them to sag a little over the return rollers.

I have made a start although not done a lot. Because I brush paint - I needed to cut off the parts I'm going to work on first but leave on some bits of sprue so I have something to hold while painting. The result is this:

46323864981_ed34ed25c8_b.jpg

The sprue gates were a little thick in places and there are some thickish seams, on all the parts, that I'm going to remove before I paint - so probably no painting today:

32451983218_0acf855e10_b.jpg

32451983068_26eac329db_b.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

I’ve got to think how I’m going to get them to sag a little over the return rollers.

Pretty sure I'm teaching my Grandmother how to suck eggs here, but....

I run a very hot tap into a washing up bowl to a depth of about 1cm and lay the  two sets of tracks in that. I let the tracks warm up for a few minutes and then very carefully try to stretch one set underwater, holding each end and pulling fairly hard, but only trying to stretch it by a couple of millimetres. (Stretch just one set of tracks and compare it against the unstretched one) If the first set doesn't stretch, I add a bit of boiling water from a kettle, raising the temperature to one hotter than the hot tap, leave the tracks to warm up more, and then try to stretch the first set again.  It may take several more 'top ups' with water from the kettle in order to get the first set to stretch, but I reckon it's better to raise the temperature by small increments until the 'stretching temperature' is reached, than it is to overheat the tracks and risk them stretching too much, distorting and/or snapping.

Once the tracks begin to stretch, you want to raise the temperature just a bit more, to allow for the water cooling during the following process:

and that is to stretch one quarter of the track length at a time.... ie hold one end of the track, grab a section a quarter of the way along and just stretch that section by a few millimetres. Repeat this for each section from the one end of the track length to the other. This way the stretching occurs fairly evenly over the entire length and with little distortion of the track's connecting edges. Stretching an entire track length in one go, by pulling on each end, can lead to overstretch in weaker areas, but more often the middle section especially, and sometimes the track connections along the edge will snap. 

BTW, if you DON'T have extensive nerve damage in your hands/fingers (like what I do) you may find the water temperature a bit unbearable, in which case you may wish to stretch the tracks quickly, a section at a time, out of the water, allowing time for reheating between each stretch.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Badder. That's great thank you. I'm going to try that. I think I have been lucky so far that, either the band tracks I have used didn't require this type of sag, or I have had individual track links. The Sherman I built for the Sherman STGB had an adjustable idler position which gave me enough spare to create the sag. From what I have read about this kit the tracks are quite tight when fitted as is. So I will be using your method.....thank you. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hewy said:

Ohh that'll save some hair pulling out, all the wheels being done already

As badder said I imagine this will be quick, I'll only just have the wheels together and you'll be on the decals😛

Hi Glynn. Yes it should be more straightforward than usual Dragon kits! Not sure about your idea of how far I will be ahead though! Maybe......

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Badder said:

I wonder why in my Dragon Pz IV H the tracks are solid 😞 you would think they would do the same for all the versions.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Yetifan said:

I wonder why in my Dragon Pz IV H the tracks are solid 😞 you would think they would do the same for all the versions.

That’s not good! Not checked all my Dragon Pz.IVs but the A I got recently has similar tracks with hollow guide horns.

Sorry.

Kind regards,

Stix

The Panzer IV used several different types of tracks during it's production, the main variants being early (Ausf.A-E) types were 36cm wide & late (Ausf.E-J) versions 40cm. There were also special winter & Ostketten tracks that were even wider to deal with the mud or snow. As you have noticed some also have solid guide horns & other had holes in them, some later versions also have cleats on them to give them extra traction. 

530.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

The Panzer IV used several different types of tracks during it's production, the main variants being early (Ausf.A-E) types were 36cm wide & late (Ausf.E-J) versions 40cm. There were also special winter & Ostketten tracks that were even wider to deal with the mud or snow. As you have noticed some also have solid guide horns & other had holes in them, some later versions also have cleats on them to give them extra traction. 

530.jpg

Wow Mig - you are mine of information - are you 'putting one in' for the GB - I'll certainly follow along.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

530.jpg

15 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

I'm currently moving my model stuff to a new room, I hope to join in the GB in a few weeks once I'm done.

Thank you very much for the great information and I'm looking forward to when you can join in with a build! 

Kind regards,

Stix

Well in amongst checking on other people’s builds I have been doing a bit of work on mine.

I had to glue a whole TWO parts together to make up each suspension units!:

46287261852_883a496704_b.jpg

...and then, following getting rid of all the seams and sprue gate join areas, I did some painting. I used Revell's Aqua Tank Grey Matt (No.78) which I applied quite thinned with water using an old flat brush. All the parts together:

46287261502_81cef21f62_b.jpg

Some closer views:

46287270572_e4b13bd3a3_b.jpg

44520896970_2501515bde_b.jpg

The detail looks nice even under the paint:

32465751298_b4ef4d89da_b.jpg

32465751108_8bd32fdddc_b.jpg

45425266285_98c4822958_b.jpg

All the above now needs to have the weathering started but I think I will do some work on the lower hull next so I can get it painted too and do the weathering on it and these parts at the same time.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

45425266285_98c4822958_b.jpg

All the above now needs to have the weathering started but I think I will do some work on the lower hull next so I can get it painted too and do the weathering on it and these parts at the same time.

I really like the manufacturer's marks on the tyres. This is why I always like to look at sprue shots - you can see where other kits are better/worse than your own.

Fetches my coat and legs it.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

530.jpg

Hi Mig Eater,

Thanks for the info, here and on my thread,

But perhaps you can tell me.... did the Nashorn ever get Winter/Ostketten tracks? I  ask because the one thing I don't like about the Nashorn are its 'puny' narrow tracks. I think it would look (and perform) a lot better with wider tracks.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Badder said:

I really like the manufacturer's marks on the tyres. This is why I always like to look at sprue shots - you can see where other kits are better/worse than your own.

Fetches my coat and legs it.

Rearguards,

Badder

I should think so too! 😜

10 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Paint already, ohh come on, 

Yeah but only on the running gear! Still a bit to do yet!

This afternoon I got on, as planned, and started adding the parts to the lower hull that I decided I wanted to - I add the parts that I think won’t interfere too badly with the painting and basic weathering.

44523960840_bfbfb59c0f_b.jpg

45617635414_1104f468a7_b.jpg

46341024391_f9c87ecfd7_b.jpg

44523966560_dbdbdb1883_b.jpg

46341024661_8c5399e69a_b.jpg

Painting of the lower hull will be next but that will be next week.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6