Airfix 1/72nd Phantom FG.1

Bish

For a long time i have avoided Airfix kits, only building the odd one of there older ones. But i have ben gathering a collection of their new tooled kits ove rthe last couple of years and finally got round to building one. The Phantom was a really nice kit, there were a couple of fit issues which i think were self inflicted. The only really down side with the kit was the decals, mainly the stencils. The 250+ took me 6 days to apply. I added an Eduard Big Ed set, resin wheels and metal pitot tube. The tractor is from F4 models and the base from Coastal kits. Its not completly finished as i am awating the release of some RN deck figures including a tractor driver, from Air Graphics.

31838600618_48575e4a93_c.jpg

45710535901_c2157c6ef5_c.jpg

45710534511_0afd89a795_c.jpg

45710531881_2b49e5225e_c.jpg

30770053887_0a106d5738_c.jpg

• Like 71
  • Thanks 1

Sweet build. Nicely presented and will look nicer when the ground crew arrive.

Not my scale but I have build many of the newer Airfix 1/48 kits - they are mainly very good but all have annoying little nuances and detail discrepancies. Hopefully in time Airfix will get better at the small details!

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks all.

The tractor was a nice kit, if a little pricey.

Malcolm, i have built up a bit of a collection the last few years. I am hosting an Airfix 80th Anniversary GB next year on another forum, so am planning to get a taste of some more of their new kits.

Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated. Ian, yes, when i saw it i nearly felt the same. This is the decal sheet, of course you can take off the 2 other marking options, cockpit decals and the weapons i didn't use.

43802346335_6132244405_c.jpg

And this is the instruction sheet just for the stencils.

30840741208_295fdebc4e_c.jpg

Thats why it took me the best part of a week at a couple of hours a night.

I remember when I built a 'Sundowner' phantom years ago, using MicroScale stencils. Something of the same: those 200+ stencils. But when you begin, it is a matter of perseverance: A true modeller never gives up!