Revell 1:32 Spitfire Mk IIa - Edinburgh Gate Guard tribute

Evening folks,

Built this 1:32 scale Revell Spitfire as a commission build for a mate who wanted a mk 1 or mk II Spitfire for his WW2 memorabilia collection. He wanted it to resemble "XTD" which is the fibreglass gate gaurd now on display at Edinburgh Airport. The replica its has " Blue Peter " written on the side and has a four blade prop and a bright red nose cone. The kit itself went together with no real issues and was build OOB with the only addition being harness straps made from tape placed into the cockpit. I just used the cockpit decals provided with the kit. As usual, I weathered the kit using the preshading method and masking tape to seperate the camouflage colours. For the first time I tried using the " maskol" method of replicating the paint as having been worn through on heavy traffic areas, around the cockpit and a couple of the acess panels.  An easy method of spraying silver then applying the maskol and rubbing off after the top coat has been applied. Very easy and effective...

Used Hannants "Xtracrylix" thinners on this build, so much better than my usual Tamiya thinners and would highly recommend.

Cockpit 2

Maskol Chipping

Masked Port

Unable to source the "XTD" decals or correct serial numbers " L1067" etc, but it looks like a Spitfire and the new owner is very pleased, as for payment ... a couple of nice bottles of red wine 🤩 Always wanted to build a spitfire again and this way I don't have the headache of where to display it ... just the headache from consuming the wine !!

A few pictures of the finished result ..

Finshed Spitfire Mk11a

Finished Fwd Port

Finished Underside

Finished Fwd

Finished Fwd Stbd

20181209_102427

Thanks for looking and all comments welcome. Best wishes 👋

• Like 24

Spitfire handed over and new owner very happy .... as am I , as he has proudly displayed it along with some memorabilia which has been handed down to him from his great uncle. Always like to see the next generation salute their forefathers ( or uncles )

received_340899483131648

NB - The rounds are inert ( Health & Safety 🙄 )

Blue Peter was the personal mount of George Denholm, OC 603 City of Edinburgh Squadron - a lovely modest gentleman with a quite heroic wartime record. I was privileged to meet him and chat about his experiences. One of 'the Few'.   

Someday I'd like to model this aircraft in honour of the man, though decals may be a problem......

Lovely job on the Spit.

Hope I can do half as well.

:poppy:

• Thanks 1