Bristol Sycamore 1/72 - S&M Models

My first helicopter, I did a lot of mistakes, but at the end i’m  satisfied also because the kit is not the easiest on the market (thank to S&M for giving us a kit of this interesting subject)

I used some etched, built new landing gear with Albion alloy tubes, open 2 doors and folded  rotor blades Colours are from Gunze

4001243D-0C91-46C5-922A-550B31276FE6_zps

F8FFDF2E-50CD-4BEF-B5C8-CBB8CDE991A6_zps

4425EA94-001C-4D64-AE99-31691D3CE484_zps

Sorry for the low quality of the photos

Edited by ivan ferrando
  • Like 39

Very nice model. Does the kit decal sheet include the 202 Sqn mallard emblem, or did you add it from spares?  As it stands, your model represents a very specific part of XJ380’s history as a ‘gate guardian’ at the RAF SAR HQ at Finningley. Quite why it was given a 202 Sqn badge, when 202 never operated the Sycamore, suggests that a sense of history was not one of the SAR heirarchy’s strong points at the time!

Jon

• Like 1

Lovely Sycamore, looks great in the rescue scheme. 

Did you have any issues with the fit or anything else?

I've got this kit in my stash, I'm hoping to do this, the Airfix Whirlwind and Sea King and a Matchbox Wessex all in RAF Rescue yellow.

4 hours ago, Jonners said:

Very nice model. Does the kit decal sheet include the 202 Sqn mallard emblem, or did you add it from spares?  As it stands, your model represents a very specific part of XJ380’s history as a ‘gate guardian’ at the RAF SAR HQ at Finningley. Quite why it was given a 202 Sqn badge, when 202 never operated the Sycamore, suggests that a sense of history was not one of the SAR heirarchy’s strong points at the time!

Jon

thank for your appreciation.

Yes, the decals came from the kit, i used as a photografic reference, some pics of XJ380 founded on the web, that represent (i think), as you said the subjet in gate guardian laying or at least out of service.  Unfortunately I didn't foud a good doc about operational history in British service. 

4 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Lovely Sycamore, looks great in the rescue scheme. 

Did you have any issues with the fit or anything else?

I've got this kit in my stash, I'm hoping to do this, the Airfix Whirlwind and Sea King and a Matchbox Wessex all in RAF Rescue yellow.

thank for appreciatiation

The join between the rear and the cabin (trasparent part) demands a good filling, wich i did with Milliput and cianoacrylate for finishing. The worst part is the undersire.

I scarth built the landing gear beause the pieces of kit are not so good. Pay attention to place a pin for every rotor blade because their weight give fragile the joint.

With Whirlwind, Wessex  and Sea King they will be a fantastic sequence to display (at home or model shows) very good idea

I also used some etched part from AGB

IMG_3878_zpsw5eh1dve.jpeg

IMG_0289_zpsv4cyvwkw.jpeg

IMG_0287_zpstp50k45k.jpeg

IMG_0184_zpsuc8kzzgr.jpeg

• Like 2

Back in my younger days "S&M" meant something else entirely.  🤔

That sure is a nice helicopter model though!

Love the fidelity in the legs and details.

Superb weathering and shading too.

:goodjob: