Hispano Aviación Ha1112M4L. "Battle of Britain".

Artie

Hi all...I've came accross this pic of the sole two seater Buchón used during the filming of the famous movie. It was one of the two planes built, and was used to carry a camera operator in the rear seat.

Obviously, it sports the original canopy, and not the terrible looking one that G-AWHC carries today,

P26_two-seat_ME-109.jpg

TM93B_two-seat_ME109_in_color.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for posting Artie,and yes your right about the canopy fitted now. Although in pseudo BoB colours , a two seater is far too early for the period. As it is so unique I believe it should have been restored to stock Spanish air force colours with original canopy.  

Keith. 

• Like 2

Restoring it to its film livery would be good (50th anniversary of its release next year!).  But accurately reproducing the film single seaters seems beyond the restorers, its not just a paint job on a standard buchon.

A full on bright blue single seater with wing fences and rockets would look spectacular on the warbird circuit, mind you it would confuse most air show visitors...

• Like 1

I agree.....that "Peugeot Blue" Hispanos looked impressive.....

There's a funny story behind that colour. Well, I'd dare to say it's just an "urban legend".....When they were first deployed to 71 Escuadrón, they were painted in the so called "Peugeot Blue", just because the Unit's commander had a Peugeot in the same colour, and he ordered to paint the fighters in that colour....IMHO, that's just a fake story. No official record can back it...

My preference goes to the second colour scheme, applied by the early sixties, and locally known as "Inmaculate Conception", aluminium over mid blued.

From 1958 to 1961, some of them were deployed here in Tenerife, at Los Rodeos aerodrome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

But accurately reproducing the film single seaters seems beyond the restorers, its not just a paint job on a standard buchon.

ARCo have done pretty well with Yellow 10 with a lot of work done researching the scheme, and on another currently flying I think they even clipped the wings.

• Like 1

I think I may have been misunderstood here, as my comments were for the two seater only. The single seaters are famous for their part in the film and wholly support their being flown in the film colours,  but although obviously on the set the two seater was kept almost out of shot except the odd gaggle shot I suspect. Good call on the silver /blue scheme Artie but I suppose at the moment it all boils down to commerce at the moment, and selling a flight in a "German Messerschmitt".

Keith 

• Like 1

In a recent FlyPast article on this machine the original blown hood was rejected as ‘flimsy’ and ‘unsafe’, hence the G-12 modification. The same article says that the original canopy still exists, so it could be used or modified by a future owner.

On a more personal note I agree with some of the other posters. Whilst it’s nice to have them in their BoB film garb, wouldn’t it be appropriate for at least one to wear it’s true colours and yes with rocket rails? It would clean up in Spanish air shows!

Trevor

• Like 1

The thing is that just two of them were actually built. Keeping the only survivor in its original configuration would be very nice. I can understand and support painting them like those used on the movie, but those Luftwaffe lookalikes are just poor pretenders. On the other hand, at some point, a few Hispano HA1109J1-L were painted to resemble "tropical BF109F" and used in the film "The Star of Africa" .

51MEV+nUkqL._SY445_.jpg

4d1ac0724b8c9a5819cb096bf70b88a6--in-dis

300px-Hispano_Aviaci%C3%B3n_HA-1112_K._1

Yes, Paul...that's the most beautiful colour scheme, IMHO. It was called "Inmaculada Concepción" (Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception). That colour scheme was applied to most of the spanish Air Force aircraft by the early sixties. The blue undersides are often a bad representation of the real colour....RAL 50015 is a very good match. Humbrol 89 seems a good match...Top surfaces were painted in Aluminium enamel, and not NMF....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artie said:

d6f1971dc17bb5fe43a0ff6be5ab1371.jpg

At last!  A prototype for all those models, with heavy weathering, paintchipping, visible panel lines, soft tyres AND open flaps - all on one plane!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4