Rob Taurus Hurricane canopies for Airfix 72nd fabric wing

Troy Smith

Anyone have or used this canopy set?

I have emailed Rob Taurus,  with no response as yet

72086.jpg

My question is this, have the canopies been corrected, or are they a straight copy of the Airfix kit canopy which from the photo they appear to be,  having a too high horizontal frame line , I ask because the Airfix canopy is too tall

the canopy is touch too tall, and the horizontal  frame line is too high, I added a black line to the photo to make it clearer.

Hurricane_AF_fabric_canopy_IMG_0374.jpg&

and the real thing in case anyone doen't trust the drawings [the Bentley ones BTW]

hurricane_mk1_l1592_05_of_26.jpg&key=654

Now, Airfix have made the spine correct to scale, but the that means the thickness of the canopy makes it too high.

If the top rail as not too high, then you could probably just sand the bottom edge of the canopy, but the rail means that won't work. The windscreens are also affected, forgot to photograph it, but I think the above shows the problem.

see

One final point. the kit canopy look like a very good match for the taller canopy featured on the Hurricane prototype

hurricane-1.JPG

Hawker had problems with canopy rattling in flight and raised the canopy rails by 2 inches on the production models, making the canopy shallower by the same amount.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Troy,

Sorry for the delay in replying to this post. I've dug out one of my canopy sets today and test fitted it to my Airfix Hurricane. You get two canopies in the set, an open one in two separate parts and a closed one. Ive cut both out and test fitted to the model as shown below. They are only roughly placed on the model and should fit better when tidied up  and although they are an improvement over the kit parts, I don't think the framing is as low as it it is on the real thing but hopefully the pictures will help you decide.

31561721517_244617bbd0_b.jpg

Airfix Hurricane Canopy Closed by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

31561721627_76a748e84c_b.jpg

Airfix Hurricane Canopy Open by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

Regards,

Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1