Colourcoats in 125ml tins

We have started offering our paints in 125ml tins aimed at large scale and radio controlled modellers. These are both more convenient for larger paint jobs as well as offering a significant saving against an equivalent quantity in our usual 14ml tins. 🙂

We started with some RN colours, and those are all that I have listed so far. We can offer (within a couple of days' lead time) 125ml tins in any of our colours which we have bulk stock already prepared so if you have something large in mind, just email us to ask and we can let you know quickly whether we can turn it around quickly or whether it needs bulk remanufacture first.

e54bf556-c7ff-4a93-b7f0-7c9bc3d1cba0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I approve of this message.

For my particular interests, it might well pay me to buy in larger tins as I tend to have multiple models that use the same colours.  I will see how far the original small tins do, first.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have you ever thought of doing an acrylic range or one that is more suited to brush painting? I personally love the colours,..... the best around,.... but the enamels are a bit thin for brush painting.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Have you ever thought of doing an acrylic range or one that is more suited to brush painting? I personally love the colours,..... the best around,.... but the enamels are a bit thin for brush painting.

Cheers

Tony

I'm no expert or great painter and a novice in modelling terms but when I use Colourcoat paint I have learned to expect to brush on a couple of coats and I add a drop or two of thinner as well - seems to dry quicker?? Now do the same with my Humbrol.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harley John said:

I'm no expert or great painter and a novice in modelling terms but when I use Colourcoat paint I have learned to expect to brush on a couple of coats and I add a drop or two of thinner as well - seems to dry quicker?? Now do the same with my Humbrol.     

Cheers John,...... I`ve just found them a bit wishy washy for brush painting,......... I do expect to apply at least three coats so I`m not expecting a first application coverage,...... and they seem to dry quite thick,...... I obviously need to play about with them as I do like the accuracy of the colours on the tin lid, they look superb.

Thanks,

Tony

• Like 1

We've tried and rejected a number of acrylic formulations. We are averse to the idea of multiplying the storage space requirements and the staggering investment cost to replicate our very large range in another formulation for what would be very marginal (if any) increase in revenue and so far no acrylic seems capable of mimicking an enamel's flexibility. If it brushes it won't spray well and doesn't adhere. If it sticks it dries too fast to brush, etc.

We're just too small an outfit with too little capital to multiply the range, even if I didn't have good reason to believe it would be a commercial disaster.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

We've tried and rejected a number of acrylic formulations. We are averse to the idea of multiplying the storage space requirements and the staggering investment cost to replicate our very large range in another formulation for what would be very marginal (if any) increase in revenue and so far no acrylic seems capable of mimicking an enamel's flexibility. If it brushes it won't spray well and doesn't adhere. If it sticks it dries too fast to brush, etc.

We're just too small an outfit with too little capital to multiply the range, even if I didn't have good reason to believe it would be a commercial disaster.

No worries and thanks for advising,.....it is just a shame as I love how your product looks, the colours look so right,..... I just don`t have the facility to use an air brush and I`m searching for a new alternative to the old Polly Scale range, my last bottles of which I am currently running out of.

Cheers

Tony

42 minutes ago, tonyot said:

No worries and thanks for advising,.....it is just a shame as I love how your product looks, the colours look so right,..... I just don`t have the facility to use an air brush and I`m searching for a new alternative to the old Polly Scale range, my last bottles of which I am currently running out of.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

I understand. Polyscale was the only acrylic I was ever able to get consistently good results from. Whatever magic fairy dust was in that stuff has eluded me so far (and everything else I've tried).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I desperately need some of your paint...but I live in Germany and the German distributor you mention seems to want to get out of the paint business since the demand seems to be in no relation to getting the paint over from the UK! What's the issue with just packing the stuff up and sending it over...I mean paints from Japan are also available here as is xtra color and Humbrol. Currently I need the two Japaneese Navy paints ACJ16 and ACJ17...wouldn't mind the bigger bottles...

thanks

Uwe

On 3/2/2019 at 12:10 AM, anj4de said:

I desperately need some of your paint...but I live in Germany and the German distributor you mention seems to want to get out of the paint business since the demand seems to be in no relation to getting the paint over from the UK! What's the issue with just packing the stuff up and sending it over...I mean paints from Japan are also available here as is xtra color and Humbrol. Currently I need the two Japaneese Navy paints ACJ16 and ACJ17...wouldn't mind the bigger bottles...

thanks

Uwe

Hi Uwe,

The issue with just sending it over is that it's illegal. I didn't make the rules but apparently value my liberty and family home more than those who do just send it.

To send paint legally, it has to be under IATA rules for air or sea transport and ADR rules by road. Those who packed it must hold certificates which costs hundreds to get and anyone driving the truck with it on board must be ADR trained and there are additional rules for vehicles with hazardous goods on board. The vast majority of carriers simply refuse to carry hazardous goods so they don't need to worry about training and so they can move paclages from hub to hub by air freight. A service which covers all this legally costs hundreds per shipment.

I will be happy to get a firm quote from a hazardous goods forwarding agent for you, but it will be approximately £300 to send a package of paint to Europe.

Others may be willing to just quietly put them in the post, but they are the fools who cause these draconian rules to exist in the first place.

Call me selfish but I don't plan on paying a £60,000 fine (what Amazon was fined for doing exactly this) or spend time in prison for the sake of toy aeroplanes, AFVs or ships! Selling paint is not an income for my family - at all. When I write that down it makes me wonder why I waste so much time on this for no gain. Hmm. Anyway, the point is that selling paint isn't actually all that important to me and so I see no benefit at all in taking unnecessary risks in committing crimes which I won't even benefit from.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

@tonyot you tried mission model acrylics? I’ve found these brush well 

To be honest I have never heard of them,..... but thanks for the heads up,..... I will search them out.

Much appreciate.

Cheers,

Tony