Does anyone find the Iwata Eclipse uncomfortable to hold?

nheather

I have an Iwata Eclipse CS which I bought following many recommendations.  Now let me make it clear first, I extremely happy with the airbrush, it performs just as good as I had been told.

BUT - and this may be down to my anatonmy, but I find it a little uncomfortable to hold.  I can use it, but it does sit naturally in my hand, with my finger on the trigger and able to move the trigger through full movement.

My other airbrushes, an Iwata HP-B-Plus for detail and a Sparmax DH-125 for large jobs and primer are very comfortable by comparison.

Anyone find this and is so, any tips.

Would the taller trigger help or would that just make matters worse because my finger would have further to move.

Anything else that you have tried?

Cheers,

Nigel

The CS doesn't have the air guide underneath the body like the other two, this maybe the problem if you have got use to holding the other two.

I have a couple of Tamiya HG's which are the same design body wise but with a taller trigger, which I find the other way around to you comfort wise.

3 minutes ago, little-cars said:

The eclipse feels a little chunkier to me than a lot of other brushes.

Grex produce an add on grip that fits a lot of airbrushes,

Grex Airbrush Handle/Grip

Yes ‘ve seen that but it looks like it turns it more into a pistol grip type.  I originally started out with an Iwata TR - I had tried one and initially liked it but after a little time decided I preferred to hold the brush like a pencil for detail work.

Cheers,

Nigel

35 minutes ago, colin said:

The CS doesn't have the air guide underneath the body like the other two, this maybe the problem if you have got use to holding the other two.

I have a couple of Tamiya HG's which are the same design body wise but with a taller trigger, which I find the other way around to you comfort wise.

I think it is exactly that, the air guide seems to fit nicely in my hand.  Are you saying that you find the taller trigger helps for you?

Cheers,

Nigel

I find the Tamiya's more comfortable than the Iwata because they have no air guide, it could be because they both have taller triggers I'm not so sure on that though.

I do find the Tamiya trigger better than the Iwata though imho, and the P shaped trigger on the newer one is very comfortable to use, again imho

So, just done an experiment.  Stuck a blob of blu-tak on top of the trigger to lift my finger position.

Not perfect but felt better, so have bitten the bullet and ordered the taller trigger.

I’ll let you know what I think when it turns up later in the week.

Cheers,

Nigel

1 hour ago, colin said:

Where are you obtaining the taller triggers from Nigle

It’s a standard Iwata part:  IWS-6123

So any Iwata spares dealer - I used graphicair.com as they are a little cheaper than the main distributer airbrushes.com.

Postage costs (for such a tiny part)  with them both is high, but airbrushes.com particularly eyewatering at over £5 to send an envelope weighing a few grammes.

No improvement in the pad, just a longer arm.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

19 minutes ago, Bryan71 said:

I’m finding the same problem with my Harder and Steenbeck Infinity.Not had it long works fine but just don’t like the feel of it.

Element Games / Cult of Paint / Harder and Steenbeck have just done a kickstarter for customised Evolution and Infinity models.

One of the key improvements, is a taller sculpted trigger, which will eventually be available for retrofitting to the standard H&S brushes.

Details of the kickstarter is here 

So may be worth keeping an eye out to see if that will improve the comfort of your Infinity.

HEALTH WARNING - clearly the kickstarter is not goung to say anything but good about the new design.  But I watched a Youtube video this morning about a miniature painters opinion on the ‘best’ brush and he had been given one of the customised Evolutions to try without any strings.  He did rate it but said he wasn’t sure about the trigger design himself as it is designed on the basis that your trigger finger comes straight down the length of the brush rather than slightly to the side.  He said that it would have been better if it was angled by a few degrees - but I guess they didn’t want to do that as it would make the trigger left or right handed and they wanted it to be reversible.

Cheers,

Nigel

On 10/12/2018 at 06:03, nheather said:

Element Games / Cult of Paint / Harder and Steenbeck have just done a kickstarter for customised Evolution and Infinity models.

One of the key improvements, is a taller sculpted trigger, which will eventually be available for retrofitting to the standard H&S brushes.

Details of the kickstarter is here may be worth keeping an eye out to see if that will improve the comfort of your Infinity.

HEALTH WARNING - clearly the kickstarter is not goung to say anything but good about the new design.  But I watched a Youtube video this morning about a miniature painters opinion on the ‘best’ brush and he had been given one of the customised Evolutions to try without any strings.  He did rate it but said he wasn’t sure about the trigger design himself as it is designed on the basis that your trigger finger comes straight down the length of the brush rather than slightly to the side.  He said that it would have been better if it was angled by a few degrees - but I guess they didn’t want to do that as it would make the trigger left or right handed and they wanted it to be reversible.

Cheers,

Nigel

Trying to find one now

1 hour ago, Bryan71 said:

Trying to find one now

The trigger on its own you mean.

You won’t find them yet.  The kickstarter only finished a few weeks ago and is trying to get brushes out to investors in December.

The company has said that some time after the kickstarter customers have been sorted out the new style needles and triggers will be made available as standard spares.  I’ve noticed in this month’s Airfix magazine H&S are already advertising the new needles on their standard products even before the kickstarter investors have got their’s - I imagine their will be unhappiness if the general public get in first.

But realistically I suspect we are a few months off seeing the needles and triggers available as spares.

If you are talking about buying one of the custom brushes then the kickstarter page is still allowing late pledges.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

7 minutes ago, nheather said:

The trigger on its own you mean.

You won’t find them yet.  The kickstarter only finished a few weeks ago and is trying to get brushes out to investors in December.

The company has said that some time after the kickstarter customers have been sorted out the new style needles and triggers will be made available as standard spares.  I’ve noticed in this month’s Airfix magazine H&S are already advertising the new needles on their standard products even before the kickstarter investors have got their’s - I imagine their will be unhappiness if the general public get in first.

But realistically I suspect we are a few minths off seeing the needles and triggers available as spares.

If you are talking about buying a customer brush then the kickstarter page is still allowing late pledges.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thankyou thought getting rid of the Infinity and buying an Iwata.But the trigger looks interesting 

2 hours ago, Bryan71 said:

I’m finding the same problem with my Harder and Steenbeck Infinity.Not had it long works fine but just don’t like the feel of it.

I could never get on with the Infinity trigger for some reason, I don't think it was the height or shape of the trigger, just couldn't get the fine feel correct, I would pull back slightly and could see what seemed to be no change a little further and wham too much.

5 minutes ago, colin said:

I could never get on with the Infinity trigger for some reason, I don't think it was the height or shape of the trigger, just couldn't get the fine feel correct, I would pull back slightly and could see what seemed to be no change a little further and wham too much.

I have the Evolution CR plus and it’s fine but hate the Infinity CR plus

just looking at Iwata’s now 

• Like 1

Well the tall trigger arrived - waste of money.

And I’m not saying that beacuse although taller it didn’t really improve the feel - if that had been the case I would have considered it a worthwhile experiment.

No, it is because it is barely any taller that it makes any difference.  At first I thought they had sent the standard trigger but I rechecked the part number and it is correct.  And then comparing the two carefully, it is taller but only by about 1mm - so little difference and for me they may as well be the same trigger.

Bit disappointed with Iwata to be honest, to call it a taller trigger and list it as a spare part for the Eclipse CS is a little misleading.  I suppose they would argue that it is taller, and they are right, but only by a smidge.  Maybe seasoned professionals could feel a difference but I doubt that many of us could.

I’ll try and get some pictures up later, but for anyone thinking to do the same, don’t bother, save your pennies for better things.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, nheather said:

Well the tall trigger arrived - waste of money.

And I’m not saying that beacuse although taller it didn’t really improve the feel - if that had been the case I would have considered it a worthwhile experiment.

No, it is because it is barely any taller that it makes any difference.  At first I thought they had sent the standard trigger but I rechecked the part number and it is correct.  And then comparing the two carefully, it is taller but only by about 1mm - so little difference and for me they may as well be the same trigger.

Bit disappointed with Iwata to be honest, to call it a taller trigger and list it as a spare part for the Eclipse CS is a little misleading.  I suppose they would argue that it is taller, and they are right, but only by a smidge.  Maybe seasoned professionals could feel a difference but I doubt that many of us could.

I’ll try and get some pictures up later, but for anyone thinking to do the same, don’t bother, save your pennies for better things.

Cheers,

Nigel

Can I ask how much it was and we’re did you get it from

57 minutes ago, Bryan71 said:

Can I ask how much it was and we’re did you get it from

£15.67 including postage - from graphicair.com - not enough to die in a ditch over but enough to be a little irritated.

It’s on my brush now so I’ll probably leave it there.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

1 minute ago, nheather said:

£15.67 including postage - from graphicair.com - not enough to die in a ditch over but enough to be a little irritated.

It’s on my brush now so I’ll probably leave it there.

Cheers,

Nigel

Be interested to see a pic noticed they do the square one for the customs.

2 hours ago, Bryan71 said:

Be interested to see a pic noticed they do the square one for the customs.

Will sort some photos out, probably not until tomorrow now though when there is some decent light.

But think you will be disappointed.  The Eclipse Kustom trigger is near identical to the standard Eclipse trigger.  The business end, where your finger gies is the same shape, size and trigger.  There is a little extra material underneath the Kustom trigger pad  - that may be where it gets the ‘extra’ height from.

Cheers,

Nigel

6 hours ago, colin said:

Your getting the Custom and Kustom ones mixed up, the Custom Micron V2 trigger is not the same in anyway to the Eclipse Kustom trigger

Colin is right the Custom trigger is different and at £40ish

Don’t think I am mixing anything up.  I’m comparing two triggers that fit the Eclipse.  Why would I even stop to discuss one tgat doesn’t fit.

There are two triggers that fit the Eclipse

IWS-6121 the standard one

IWS-6123 : the so-called taller one

What I’m reporting back is that there is very little height between the two.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1