Hannover CL.IIIa - 1:72 Airfix

Here's my Airfix 1:72 Hannover CL.IIIa 3879, operated by an unknown Schlachtstaffeln (Battle Squadron) of the German army aviation, in the Western Front, 1918 which I built in 2001.

This was a 1970s/1980s issue of the kit and I built it OOB. I believe this kit was re-issued a few years ago.

The kit was completely painted by brush with only the varnish being airbrushed. Fortunately, the wing lozenge patterns were to scale in the paint guide of the back of the box so I could trace it on to the kit itself.

I'm well aware the colours used may not be accurate since I went with the colours indicated in the kit's instructions (actually, their Humbrol equivalents). Nevertheless, I was (and am) very pleased with the end result.

The kit isn't rigged as I only had the courage to start rigging a few years later!

Thank you for looking

Miguel

jKPO-gvrv7IQM3R5fQqaV8MwzrZPblngKstxF8i7

IZ1ED7y_zt7JKQFe4triultwT-pqcUaBwTvkjFcj

kiOutKODqnIoEhvmCl9-JteBTVdWondwuoFcgCYx

UMEcnBoBPGRF_Hln43m1gmSbJkyFMjvkLQ-BPUAp

ZxiZ0bPpgm3njGPJmsD1tuuiTNNsh5KF6ExltOrb

Asi4ZaLwU_0FLa5DMYFzi6PhBQ9YRJtOOlQujCLU

Q7IJ1KAOSxbWAjhGBfJ9gyJoob_LDzrQiSP3aBky

sjq57p2w55WrN8GjLjiVBiCEeHtcPVuGgPAIJc_6

rOguGjBIDvKqc3_F6RgT7960wKFu8IR7_HwFJZC_

4p1oATLK_LPmnHqNmfwX9Xp537C7M8ma4TvbVJbA

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree with others - stunning result!

How you had the patience to paint the lozenge is beyond me ................

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Wow. Superb. Amazing. Stunning. Fantastic. Brilliant. Impressive. Outstanding. 

I couldn't decide which word to use, so you can have the lot!!!!

It's been many, many years since I have built this lovely little model from Airfix, but Miguel, my friend, you have taken it to another level.

Your hand painting is a sight to behold.

Well done.

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2018 at 10:04 AM, Mig88 said:

I only had the courage to start rigging a few years later

You had the courage (and, clearly, ability) to brush-paint that lozenge camo, but not to try rigging? I know which of the two I would find easier! 

Superb result. 

Jon

• Thanks 1

I've always wondered if anyone, anywhere had ever finished an Airfix 1/72 Hannover in lozenge scheme: even if you have transfers for the wings, that fuselage will surely defeat any transfer sheet.  Now I've seen it done.  Regardless of the accuracy of the colours, the execution is amazing.  "Well done" doesn't begin to cover it.

• Thanks 1

On 28/10/2021 at 19:56, S. Uehlinger said:

True Outstanding Work!   Just finished my Hannover, will be posting....

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing it...

On 28/10/2021 at 21:00, cngaero said:

Wow. Superb. Amazing. Stunning. Fantastic. Brilliant. Impressive. Outstanding. 

I couldn't decide which word to use, so you can have the lot!!!!

It's been many, many years since I have built this lovely little model from Airfix, but Miguel, my friend, you have taken it to another level.

Your hand painting is a sight to behold.

Well done.

On 28/10/2021 at 21:21, Jonners said:

You had the courage (and, clearly, ability) to brush-paint that lozenge camo, but not to try rigging? I know which of the two I would find easier! 

Superb result. 

Jon

:blush:

18 hours ago, Allan31 said:

Magnificent results Miguel.

I'm with you, rigging is a skill set I have not even begun to master. The thought of rigging even a Dr1 in any scale scares me.

How did you do those wonderful rib tapes?

They were painted freehand! Really!! If you look closer you'll see they are uneven.

18 hours ago, Brandy said:

Outstanding effort on the painted lozenge. I cheated and used Aviattic decals on mine.

Ian

Many thanks to everyone. I really only have time to check the forum properly on weekends and this "revival" has been a surprise this morning. Despite the kit's age, I think it stands up well and can be made into a decent replica the real hurdle being the overall lozenge scheme used often on this plane. Isn't it odd how some kits that are partially targeted at a young or beginner level often have the hardest paint scheme options of the type depicted?

Miguel