MAD STEVE'S 2018 BUILDORAMA

D1fuN0

Morning Chaps and Chapesess :bye:

Well, there it was, gone!

It wasn't until I started getting all the pictures together that I realised how much I had actually built this year.... 22! :) 

So, Are you all sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin.

Tamiya Kawasaki H2R

The best Tamiya bike I have ever built. The detail is incredible, the fit is fantastic, just a pity that there is no fork set for it really. If you've built the 1199 Panigale, this is better :) Took me 18 months to finally build it, but fantastic! Added the Studio 27 carbon decals, which is why it took me so long to finish it and I didnt want to do the usual chrome black finish.... It just had to be green, TS Candy Lime Green 

6a5c6b30-104a-4f21-ad05-c2f82cdaa2e8.png

Tamiya Kawasaki GPZ400 

This was purchased on a holiday in Thailand a couple years ago, very nice kit indeed. Finished in Tamiya TS22 Lime Green

44c659ca-0d31-4cd9-9001-9743bd4917ce.jpg

Tamiya Suzuki RM250 One of the ones off my seriously want list. Finished in Zero Champions Yellow 5d351fe3-cd97-4636-8e8d-8326fd15372b.jpg

Tamiya BMW K100

I actually started this a couple of years ago and eventually got round to finishing it this year because I thought I had lost the front fairing - duh! :)  - Tamiya TS18 Metallic Red 

d638b416-f6ba-4ccb-842e-c9a9855d769d.jpg

Aoshima Ape 50 Monkey Bike. 

This kit was given to me as part of a challenge at our Nationals last year. The Instructions for the challenge were 'Go Ape' . From the get go I wanted to do a Speeder Bike and It took a good few months of planning and thumb sucking to get it right, building and rebuilding. Only the seat, tank and handlebars are from the kit.   575eac98-9897-48f0-8f63-cfdfcff37b8f.jpg                                                                                                                                  Italeri Volvo FH16 XL  - Love trucks and happily carrying on building them. Finished in TS 41 Coral Blue 128853c1-db1a-493c-9669-6ab594f99529.jpg                                                                                                                                     Italeri Technocar 20 Foot Container Trailer 

This was such a cool one to build that I want to do a few more. The trailer has excellent detail but I did have a few issues with the container trying to get it to fit together, but if you ignore the instructions and build it logically it goes together perfectly. Container finished in Tamiya X7, Trailer in TS 29 Semi Gloss Black 

a0d0ab23-4adf-4ca8-901c-5fc32c3a7c95.jpg

Revell Krupp Titan 

An absolute gem of a kit. I love the classic trucks and this one was a corker. (and its massive :) ) Cab finished a mix of XF3 Flat Yellow & X8 lemon Yellow and Chassis XF7 Red

72935b32-652d-4be9-9cbb-72e4d93d835b.jpg

Italeri Mercedes Benz 2238S

Another of the kits that I built years ago that I wanted to do again. This one had a wicked warp in the chassis that probably took more time to get right than it did to build the kit. Chassis finished a mix of XF7 red & XF9 Dull red and the Cab TS 93 Pure Blue 

bc5a6e99-5373-44e7-867b-0c1f8573581a.jpg

IBG - Scammell Pioneer R100

This is a kit that I have been praying for from the first time I stuck the old Airfix Tank Transporter together :) Its a fantastically detailed kit, but its not an easy one to build and to me, the instructions are a little back to front. I wanted to do a civilian one and finished it in X8 Lemon Yellow & Flat Clear. 

7ef965f0-9e98-4d06-bb05-31cf251c08f2.jpg

Revell Jeep Honcho 

Another I have been after for a while and was very happy when it was re released again. Finished in TS 18 Metallic Red 

b839d146-042c-4fac-b0f9-6610188e62cb.JPG

Revell Chevy Suburban 

Its been a long time coming for this to get into an Injection moulded kit, and it really is a fantastic kit. Finished in TS98 Pure Blue & TS76 Pure White 

d5c9139a-325e-4a9f-ac62-3e0bfdf9797c.jpg

Italeri Restored Willys Jeep (24th Scale) 

I actually built one Military Vehicle this year, woohoo :), Well sort of. This is an excellent kit, goes together like a dream, fits perfectly and looks just right. Finished as a restored Jeep, In Tamiya XF 62 Olive Drab.

927772b9-bfe3-4586-9d0e-297f07304f73.jpg

Airfix Maserati Merak SS

Another of the youth rebuilds. These kits really aren't that good so it fought all the way (so much easier when you just stuck them together on a saturday morning :) ) Finished in Tamiya TS 47 Chrome Yellow . This was actually a turning point in my modelling career where I stopped using Bare Metal Foil for window surrounds and started using AK Extreme Metal Aluminium instead.

1b069463-565c-47fd-a2eb-eecb8534ede3.jpg

Airfix Jaguar XKR GT3 - 32nd Scale 

I love these 32nd scale kits from Airfix. They have a lot of detail but man do the tyre's suck!  The decals are quite intense in this one and I eventually resorted to cutting them up to get them to fit better. Finished in Tamiya TS 29 Semi Gloss Black . I also added a bit of CF decaling on the front and rear.                          8876994c-f1e3-4d94-b83e-49e8c3b04ea4.jpg

Airfix Mini Countryman WRC 32nd Scale 

I think this is the best of Airix's 32nd scale car kits, but I did have issues trying to get the decals to fit, they seemed to be too small? I purchased a second kit and lovely jubbly it had 2 sets of decals in it :) but they all did seem to be the same. The black outlines around the windows are not very funny to get right, and those tyre's again... One plus tho, the way that the front suspension is built, you can cut it apart and turn the wheels :) and I added seatbelts too.  Finished in X7 gloss red.

93c49fdd-0f81-45f2-8d87-ed8780002284.jpg

Tamiya Nissan Skyline GT R 2000

This is a fantastic kit. packed with detail and comes with a Photo Etchset and Seatbelts.  Finished in Tamiya TS26 Pure White 

a85ef338-a1da-4f52-80f6-6ab68716285a.jpg

Monogram Triumph TR7

Well firstly, its a TR7, and its been sitting in my cupboard for years looking all forlorn and dejected. It really is a very simple kit and only had like 25 parts so I thought why not give it a go and see what we can make of it. Finished in Tamiya TS34 Camel Yellow     

e2e6599d-a9a1-4ae1-8e74-2477c99fda82.jpg

Esci Audi Quattro 

I actually started this one about three years ago and its been through a couple of colour changes, first red, then yellow, before I decided that its looks better in TS 17 gloss aluminium. I know they aren't that well detailed and they are a bit outdated now, but I love the old Esci kits and the decals still work 30 odd years on :) 

c39e6a94-dd3a-4945-9391-f4baac977268.jpg

Polar Lights - Batmobile 1968 TV series.

This was fun, and another of our friendly challenges at our Nationals. It has a pre painted body which isn't too bad but it was a fun build.

7e815432-4229-4a0f-98cf-e9d89a3b975e.jpg

Tamiya Porsche 934 Vaillant 

Another one that's taken a long time to get right, mainly because of the masking of all the black areas is quite a mission. After a couple of attempts I eventually stopped using tape and used Bare Metal Foil instead and that worked, but it took ages to get the residue from the BMF off (first time that's happened). Finished in Tamiya TS Cobald Green this was actually a fun build.

7ec20f89-794b-4c97-a6dd-3a98250b065d.jpg 

and finally 

Aoshima Mazdaspeed AZ1

Yep, you are right, never heard of it, but if you were a frequent visitor to GT4 on PS2, you will recognise these tiny little cars from a few of the challenges. A friend of mine had one up for grabs and it went into my grubby little paws at near light speed. Its a very simple kit, not really much too it, but it comes with coloured lenses, windscreen masks and 2 sets of wheels so a nice one. The longest job was actually the whole glazing effort which needs to be masked inside then painted, then masked outside as well and painted. Excellent little kit, absolutely loved it. Finished in TS17 Gloss Aluminium

19a278eb-06fa-49d1-bea1-586f92ca2672.JPG

Well, That's it then....

I'm actually sorry that I didn't take part in any of the Group Builds this year... I was looking through some of them yesterday and they looked fantastic, especially the Classic Airfix one, I should really have joined in on that one. 

I also haven't built any Military stuff this year which is quite a surprise really, but I do have a couple that are in the starting blocks, and I'm currently busy with an RNLI Lifeboat and a BE2c, both from Airfix, as well as a couple of cars & trucks still on the go. 

Thank you to everyone on Britmodeller for being such a great bunch of guys and girls and a big thank you to the Mods for sitting around and drinking tea all day :) 

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas 

Mad Steve 

Edited by MAD STEVE
  • Like 19

Apologies but it appears the format went a bit wollobly on a couple of the entries and I don't know how to fix them. I have given myself a good talking too for being such a doosh at computery things and biscuit rations have been cut for the morning... :) 

• Haha 2

You have been a busy boy, that must have made a major dent in the stash! At this rate you'll need to spend part of 2019 building a multi-storey car park in the garden.

I also have a fascination for old vehicles, so my fav's are the Krupp Titan, the Scammell and of course the nan a nan a nan a nan a... stop that…. Batmobile. I would be tempted with the Krupp myself, but I would have nowhere to store it.

25 minutes ago, Gorby said:

You have been a busy boy, that must have made a major dent in the stash! At this rate you'll need to spend part of 2019 building a multi-storey car park in the garden.

I also have a fascination for old vehicles, so my fav's are the Krupp Titan, the Scammell and of course the nan a nan a nan a nan a... stop that…. Batmobile. I would be tempted with the Krupp myself, but I would have nowhere to store it.

Nah, there's still a good few hundr couple (hello dear :bye:) in there :) 

You need to stop playing around with those silly toy aeroplanes and go and buy the Krupp, plenty of places for it, (Kitchen counter top, dining room tables, bedside tables, hell, I bet there's even room in the kazi for it :) )

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MAD STEVE said:

You need to stop playing around with those silly toy aeroplanes and go and buy the Krupp, plenty of places for it, (Kitchen counter top, dining room tables, bedside tables, hell, I bet there's even room in the kazi for it :) )

Silly me. You have opened my eyes to the fact that all that's standing in my way of the Krupp is a divorce.

How wise you are.

• Haha 1

Lovely.  The Scammell definitely hits the spot and that TR7 brings back some memories. The one I almost bought was a gruesome green though. With tartan seats...... :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 6:24 PM, Colin W said:

Great to see you doing so many really good models.

One wonders how many more part built ones you have? 

Colin 

oh god Colin, you don't even want to go there..... (around 12) 

• Haha 1