Shavrov Sh-2 Amodel......... "Gone Fishin'........"

46238144951_57154d8d39_b.jpg

Here’s the Amodel Shavrov Sh-2 built for a forthcoming club display (and because I like VVS planes, even though, strictly speaking,  this isn’t one!). This kit is one of Amodel’s earlier efforts and is believed to be from the early 1990’s. It looks pretty crude in the box. However once cleaned up the parts go together okay but nothing fits with precision.

There are decent review and build articles here

http://modelingmadness.com/review/preww2/russia/bakersh2.htm

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Sh2.html

and a search on Britmodeller will find more builds from @JWM and @Colin1967.

There are several boxings of it, which may differ in contents. Most builds seem to be the Soviet ambulance or captured Finnish options but I was intrigued by X-104. Translating the inscription on the nose ("Главрыба" - GLAVRIBA - fishing) indicates it was operated by the Commissariat for Fisheries Protection around 1940. From the early boxing I had, it’s not actually possible to build X-104 out of the box as the propeller and wheels are different to those supplied. I believe the green/blue colour scheme is correct for Soviet government non-military aircraft of this period. Later boxings have incorrect black decals for X-104 and specify a grey or silver overall colour. They seem to have gone backwards here.

31900095968_abd60aaf9e_b.jpg

The wheels and propeller were replaced from the spares box – white metal unknown prop and cereal box car wheels. The interior was detailed with improved seats, seat belts and hammer-finish instrument panel with undercarriage winding handle – all wasted effort as it’s invisible under the parasol wing.

]44421034050_621c707462_b.jpg

The builds quoted above were followed and the struts were replaced, the engine was detailed with pushrods and exhausts, control cables and the circular inspection panels were added. Contrary to other builders experiences the decals were awful. They were continuously printed which isn’t helpful when many were white decals on white paper. They stretched alarmingly and a couple disintegrated despite being coated with decal bonder. Replacements were made on the Alps printer.

44421032020_e51e110bbe_b.jpg

44421033170_4aa96610c0_b.jpg

Even though the result is acceptable it wasn’t a really pleasant build. Many parts needed replacement or modification and many were fragile - the wheel retraction tracks on the kit are pretty crude and were replaced with fine strips of plasticard. The ends, which protrude above the hull, must have been knocked off half a dozen times. Similarly, the prominent exhausts, absent in the kit, were made from fine-core solder and were equally fragile.

46238143911_6de3095668_b.jpg

Amodel have upped their game since this one came out and it’s not representative of their current output. It wasn’t an easy build but it’s very cute!

• Like 26

Great work on the very short run kit! I like the prototype as well. It had a very interesting production history which restarted several times, in the 30s, during early and late WWII, and then after the war. Sh-2 was a hydro analogue of U-2/Po-2 biplane and was used extensively for civil and military purposes across all of the USSR. 

Glavryba is an abbreviation for Главное Управление рыбной промышленности Наркомпищепрома СССР which is in English Head Directorate of fish industry of People's Commissariat of food industry of USSR. So kind of 'Headfish' :)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Glavryba is an abbreviation for Главное Управление рыбной промышленности Наркомпищепрома СССР which is in English Head Directorate of fish industry of People's Commissariat of food industry of USSR.

Thanks to all of you, especially Dennis for the helpful translation. I believe the NKVD used them also.

flying boats of different size... What is next?

It's hard to find something easily built that one of our club members hasn't yet done. Suggestions welcome for kit of obscure flying boat, not too large! Maybe a Laura or even better - a Jacht 71 - if i can find one?

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 8/13/2019 at 5:11 AM, corsaircorp said:

1. Great job on this CEO fisherman !!

2. Now a Shagbat will look great in your collection

1. Thank you.

2. Yes indeed, one is on my build list -  I have both the Matchbox and Valom kits and I even have some nice decals with nose art! I have to get my threesome of Venturas done first and then a Hillson Praga. I can assure @Moa  that it will be in a civil scheme (as is my Sh-2 here) but he may well not like it!

• Haha 2