Cloudy lacquer

Jezleaman

Do you know what caused the cloudiness? Is the un-thinned bottle cloudy or did it cloud up upon/after application? What about your thinner?

Just to make sure, you didn't apply Tamiya X-21 Flat Base straight out of the bottle, did you? I've never used the stuff, but I've read many times about its use as an additive to other Tamiya paints--it's cloudy applied by itself.

Unfortunately I haven’t got an airbrush kit so I’ve had to use Halfords spray cans for the body colour and the clear lacquer. The cloudy case after application - I noticed it once I went to check it about 10mins after spraying it. I’ve read only that it can happen if there’s too much moisture?

How long was there between the main colours and the clear coat? I've read that some paints give off fumes as they cure and the process can take anything up to 1 - 2 weeks before the process is really complete.

Chris. 

PS: The air moisture theory sounds fairly unlikely, to be honest.  

It’s been a good 3 weeks since body colour. I’ve even already done a coat of clear lacquer and it went on really well. Just had a couple of specks of dust so I had to wet sand and then apply this next layer of clear lacquer which seems to have gone a bit milky/cloudy at the bottom of the model. Could it be too cold? 

Does the cloudyness seem rough or feel smooth

If rough, it could be that the varnish dried before hitting the model, you may have had some blow back if the model was resting on something and may polish out

Damp and cold can affect the varnish, but it would have to be very damp, cold can also cause blooming to a finish, was it quite cold when you sprayed and did you warm the spray can up in a jug of hot water first.

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

PS: The air moisture theory sounds fairly unlikely, to be honest.  

Sadly not. It's a combination of two things. Excess moisture, and damp or cold conditions. The way to combat it is to warm the can in a bowl of warm water before spraying, spray in warmer conditions and use a hairdryer to gently warm the surface before or after spraying. Basically just keep everything warm and it won't happen. I've had this numerous times but only with Halfords paints and clear coats. They are prone to it. The technical term is:

"blooming" 

"A milky white haze or mist formed on the surface of the paint film. Cause. Moisture condensing on, and being trapped in the wet film. This may be due to: a) Spraying during cold, wet or humid weather"

1 hour ago, Steve Noble said:

Sadly not. It's a combination of two things. Excess moisture, and damp or cold conditions. The way to combat it is to warm the can in a bowl of warm water before spraying, spray in warmer conditions and use a hairdryer to gently warm the surface before or after spraying. Basically just keep everything warm and it won't happen. I've had this numerous times but only with Halfords paints and clear coats. They are prone to it. The technical term is:

"blooming" 

"A milky white haze or mist formed on the surface of the paint film. Cause. Moisture condensing on, and being trapped in the wet film. This may be due to: a) Spraying during cold, wet or humid weather"

@Steve Noble thank you for this. I take it the only option is to wet sand the areas back and spray another coat of clear lacquer? 

32 minutes ago, Jezleaman said:

@Steve Noble thank you for this. I take it the only option is to wet sand the areas back and spray another coat of clear lacquer? 

Sometimes you can just apply another coat whilst it's still wet and it will reactivate the previous layer. However if it's proper dried already then yes, wet flat the "bloom" out and reapply the clear coat, making sure to spray in conditions that will eliminate any more bloom forming..

• Thanks 1