XB-70 Valkyrie Italeri 1/72 terrible kit of great plane

I have the original AMT/Ertl kit that has been 'subassembled' over the years. To my dismay the decals suffer from the usual 'extreme yellowing' of AMT decals, where the carrierfilm actually turns brown... 

Bought another kit - this time Italeri - with some better decals. Will probably try to finish it?

Your display is very nice with that 'in flight' mode. Looks good. But yes the model will fight anyone!

Flemming

13 hours ago, RickL454 said:

According to "Valkyrie" by Jenkins & Landis the Air Force had North American working on a finish that was hoped to reduce radar return.  Two finishes were developed to be used depending on local temperature of the airframe.    Apparently it would have been opaque silver.  That would be easier than a NMF finish and a little less boring than all white of the prototypes.

Thx for info, sounds like a new project on this kit in the future 🤔

1 hour ago, Ivor Ramsden said:

I don't recall having any problems at all during the build. Maybe some mould wear has taken its toll over the years.

I'm pretty sure this is the case, the wings have serious problems with leading edges and there are issues with fuselage parts matching as well as wings-fuselage crossover...

That looks fantastic.

I bought this kit last month and have the Armoury and Brengun accessories for it. From doing some test fitting, I can appreciate the work involved in creating this masterpiece.

Thanks for sharing,

Mark

hi ALL,

I have a modellin' mate that is buildin' one of these Mega Models and insists on bringin' it

to my house for  Modelling Weekends , thats by Tram, Train then Bus and walkin'.

He lost the windshield 1st time out......so He bought a nutha Kit !  😚💰😵

I attempted to raise Italeri as to His plight....got no response.

....suggested he build a wotif Supersonic Concord  II..... nupe...... not authentic .     hhhhhhrrrr !

cheery "Pre Christmas " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

7 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

and what a size. :wow:

Indeed in this case size matters 😎 it is quite a challenge to find a bit of space for display for this beast.

But having already B-1B in 48 from Revell I'm used to this kind of challenges 😏

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 12/8/2018 at 5:28 PM, Pablo Lewy said:

This is truly a horrible kit, with few really huge parts extremely difficult to snap together, lots of sanding etc...

Believe me that there is even more difficult kit which is in vacform from Contrail. I have started to build it several years ago but never come to end...

Serkan