Tamiya 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk.1

Was walking along a night flea market in Pattaya, Thailand when I came across an old man selling this kit. Of all the places to have found a kit. Managed to buy it for about the equivalent of GBP8. 

It seems to have all the parts but the decals are gone. Some of the parts have been cut from the sprue but it seems all there.  Now wondering what to do with it. 

Should I build it? I mainly do jets.  Have to stencil and spray the decals though. Too bad the fella is not selling a 1/48 F-14 or something.

IRZnksV.jpg

• Like 3

Build it! Biplanes aren’t my thing but built the Swordfish I and II and enjoyed the experience. Does the kit include the parts for the wheeled version? If so, there are aftermarket decals available.

Howard

14 hours ago, Howard Moon said:

Build it! Biplanes aren’t my thing but built the Swordfish I and II and enjoyed the experience. Does the kit include the parts for the wheeled version? If so, there are aftermarket decals available.

Howard

Yes has parts for both the wheeled and seaplane. Actually I found the decals stuck between some pieces of paper. Not sure if they still work. 

As I read the instructions I realised that you cannot build it without buying the Tamiya PE set of bracing cables for the Swordfish. It is sold separately. Perhaps this is why the person gave up as it was hard to find in Thailand. Fortunately I can get it here. But it is going to cost double what I paid for the kit, ha ha. 

61069.jpg

Agree with the learned chap above. Be careful with the PE braces though. Some builders had problems getting them to fit(Me), it seemed like they were just a tad too long. What I ended up doing was cutting off the lower attachment points, gluing the upperattachment points in place and then added a wee drop of CA to the lower end and held it in place until it set. Having said that, yours will probably slot into place quite nicely

• Like 1

That kit for eight quid? Build the thing! The Big H has decal sheets for the Swordfish so you won't even have to cut stencils. Pre-war, carriers on the China station often put floats on their aircraft when they were moored at Hong Kong or Wei Ha Wei for any length of time so as to be able to continue flying without having to put to sea every time they wished to do so.

Martian 👽

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your encouraging comments. I have gone ahead to spring for the PE set from Tamiya. Cost me about GBP8 same as the kit, ha ha.

Sorry I did not post earlier, as I was busy building the cockpit. Here is the completed cockpit without the pilots.

N4OKFVE.jpg

With the radio under the gunner. 

KJweA8c.jpg?2

• Like 1

Not buying the PE kit for the instrument panel, and that part of the decal is also missing. So I will make do on my own.

The instrument panel is well molded in my opinion. One of the better Tamiya molds despite the age.

Sprayed the panel black and then overaly with my mix of cockpit green to give it some texture and shadows.

Initially I thought I fill in each panel with white and when that dries with black so I can scratch the dial lines.

NX2BTOv.jpg?1

However that did not turn out too well. So I got some old decals from other kits and cut out the dials to put into the panel. Not an easy feat as I had to cut 3mm and 2mm diameter dials.

yaJaXhD.jpg

• Like 3

Here is where I need some advice.

The previous owner started to paint the pilot, operator and gunner before he/she gave up and sold the kit off. It was painted in red brown as you can see. I don't recall any fleet air arm uniform in this color.

The Tamiya instruction is to paint it in red brown however when I google for FAA pilot it seems their uniform is dark blue?

Can anyone direct me to the right color scheme for the FAA pilots?

This Tamiya kit comes with two sets of crew figures and some other wing parts. So I have 6 crews! Will only use 3, which is to repaint what you see below, and see if anyone else wants the other three 1/48 FAA crew.

Gkjn9hD.jpg?1

FAA uniforms were blue, but they also issued a brown “Sidcot suit” - a kind of precursor to the familiar, modern flying overalls.  I have a photo of my Dad (a Swordfish / Barracuda Observer) wearning one.  His flying boots (black, zip at the front, as Tamiya have shown) survived until the 1980s, but alas my feet are a lot bigger than his so I never got to fly in them.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 12:06 AM, CasualModel98 said:

Yes has parts for both the wheeled and seaplane. Actually I found the decals stuck between some pieces of paper. Not sure if they still work. 

As I read the instructions I realised that you cannot build it without buying the Tamiya PE set of bracing cables for the Swordfish. It is sold separately. Perhaps this is why the person gave up as it was hard to find in Thailand. Fortunately I can get it here. But it is going to cost double what I paid for the kit, ha ha. 

61069.jpg

This photo etch set is available at the North East Model Centre. 

https://www.northeastmodelcentre.co.uk

Give them a call. I saw it on the upgrade racks just yesterday. Good prices too

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the long silence. Was busy and had no time to take photos. Well continuing the build journey. 

As I was building this disaster struck! I dropped the model and broke all the float support! Arrgh!

spacer.png

They are not as strong as they looked.

I thought about it long and hard. Part of me wanted to just toss it into the bin, then the stubborn modeller in me took over. 

I brought a hand drill with bits ranging from 0.1mm to 1.5mm and used that to drill holes into the fuselage and the spars.

I then used thin wires to reinforce the spars and glue them together.

spacer.png

Here is how they looked after the 'fix".

spacer.png

• Like 1

I assembled the model, nothing to shout about as my skills are not too good. So I won't show the steps here as many others have done a far better job.

And yes, the PE set of wing wires were a real pain to fit and glue, often either too long or not holding in place. I also managed to get superglue all over the place.

The decals were old and some of them broke apart so I had to paint them and use other decals for the lettering.

So here is the finished model for what its worth. 

spacer.png

I decided to load it full and take some liberty with the weapons load and paint schemes. At this load it is not likely to be able to take off in real life, ha ha.

spacer.png

Yes I did not get the roundel quote right but at this point I just wanted to finish and move on.

spacer.png

• Like 3

For a more interesting look I painted with different shades of grey and chrome to the body. Yes the roundel is weird, just take it that the RN ran out of red paint for this onTried to give the engine some contrasting looks instead of just black metal.

spacer.png

Front view with the wires a bit out of alignment and curving. It is not easy fixing the cables.

spacer.png

I pre-shaded the body, wings and tail to show the undulating surface between the ribs. The blue band is painted on as the decal broke into pieces.

spacer.png

I did not know how to weather the floats. Here is the full weapons load.

spacer.png