Supersonic Bloodhound Car Project NO LONGER Axed

JohnT

It seems reports of the projects death are premature

see below

Seems the cash ran out despite it being so far advanced.

report on BBC here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46480342

I guess the days of the Mallard, Blue Riband Atlantic Crossings and who flies fastest, longest, highest are pretty much behind us

1 hour ago, speedy said:

Yeah my wife’s got an email today saying it’s up for grabs at £250k.

Steve.

Nice Christmas present and had advantages

1  Get to work really quickly

2  Speed cops cant catch you

but

think of the insurance and fuel consumption though.  Tires will be expensive as well and the local garage will do a lot of teeth sucking at service time.

• Haha 5

Gutted. I volunteer at my son’s primary school, running a mechanics club for 10 and 11 year olds. We have been involved in a lot of the STEM projects that the Bloodhound team have been using to outreach to schools and the kids have loved it. We even have our school name printed on the tail fin of the car after winning one of the rocket car challenges they ran. That was one of the main goals of the project, to engage and inspire young engineers of the future. In a way they have achieved this over the last few years but it’s such a shame that the people with proper deep pockets can’t see past investment with no real monetary return. 

Great shame. it was a huge showpiece of our British engineering talents. Also a possible apprenticeship boost for future  young engineers in all the disciplines.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they're going to honour all the people that donated cash to have their names and photos on the side of her.  Will we ever see it run at full tilt? :hmmm: Who knows? :shrug:

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:57 PM, JohnT said:

trophy outright

My Dad's equivalent of the 1966 World Cup moment . He told me the story as if it was a current competition in the 1960s . Couldn't wait for the next  one... When is the next one Dad ? …….

On 12/7/2018 at 9:21 AM, JohnT said:

Nice Christmas present and had advantages

1  Get to work really quickly

2  Speed cops cant catch you

but

think of the insurance and fuel consumption though.  Tires will be expensive as well and the local garage will do a lot of teeth sucking at service time.

There is the advantage that it will have a tighter turning circle than a harley davidson...

• Haha 3