`Repeat Please`

Hi tc2324,

excellent diorama, but I am afraid you will have to explain where you got your idea from!!!

Me, living in middle of nowhere in African bush.... Me, not watching movies....

JR

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Brilliant idea for a diorama and very well executed.  

I doff my cap to you sir!

"...correct RT procedure shall be maintained at all times, and the radio not used for private Polish 'chit chat'.

Now, and for reasons God only knows, this squadron has been declared operational."

• Like 7

Nice one. Must watch the film again. 

2 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Very imaginative. Interesting that the movie serves as an inspiration in its own right these days.

It's sobering to realise that the movie is coming up to its 50th anniversary. But the BoB was less than 30 years before the film. 

The movie is historic in itself now.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, noelh said:

It's sobering to realise that the movie is coming up to its 50th anniversary. But the BoB was less than 30 years before the film. 

Indeed. And Bader, Tuck, Lacey, Galland and others were around to advise on it.

• Like 2

Nice diorama and well executed.  I was all of 14 when it came out if I recall the year correctly.

Given the improvement in the Warbird scene and assuming that they could get co-operation they could soon remake it along with more flying Hurricanes and even a Stuka.  Still no flying 110's, Dorniers and Ju88s and how many He111's are still flying these days?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Very clever ,but i thought there was only one 109 masquerading as an Hurricane ?

3 in the shot below, but think a total of 5 were actually repainted in RAF green/brown.

45030399735_b2140d21a2.jpg 

• Like 4

Absolutely brilliant and from one of my favourite scenes in the film.  If I may make just one pedantic observation, I think they removed the tailplane support struts from the Buchons that masqueraded as Hurricanes, 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Absolutely brilliant and from one of my favourite scenes in the film.  If I may make just one pedantic observation, I think they removed the tailplane support struts from the Buchons that masqueraded as Hurricanes, 

Thank you,

As for the struts, most of the photo`s I googled showed them with the struts fitted so I just went with that. 👍

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tc2324 said:

3 in the shot below, but think a total of 5 were actually repainted in RAF green/brown.

45030399735_b2140d21a2.jpg 

Hi ,after i had posted my comment i had a look on youtube and i saw there were three 109s in the shot .

Going back to the film ,did that happen in real life ?I know the Poles and the Czechs were mad keen on getting to grips with the Germans .

Anyone heard of a book called "Airmen In Exile"? Seems the high ups in the govt and the RAF were not keen on European nations having their own separate squadrons ,they wanted the pilots to be split up and fly under normal RAF squadrons .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cocky05d said:

Hi ,after i had posted my comment i had a look on youtube and i saw there were three 109s in the shot .

Going back to the film ,did that happen in real life ?..........Seems the high ups in the govt and the RAF were not keen on European nations having their own separate squadrons ,they wanted the pilots to be split up and fly under normal RAF squadrons .

I read that so I plucked my copy of 'The most dangerous enemy' off the shelf and with amazing serendipity opened it exactly on the right page. According to Stephen Bungay it was the opposite. Dowding was extremely apprehensive about foreign pilots infiltrating the RAF so all the Poles were transferred to the Polish Airforce and the two famous fighter Squadrons were formed, 302 and 303. But in fact many Poles refused to leave their RAF squadrons. 

It also seems they did ignore their often less experienced RAF officers and were very aggressive in battle for obvious reasons. So that scenario is very plausible.

I definitely recommend that book by the way. Perhaps the best book about the battle.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1