Sikorsky S55 in RN Markings

Hi Folks

Number 7 from the shelf of doom the Revell H19 kit.

This is one built by Sikorsky and sold to the Royal Navy while Westland were tooling up to produce their version.

The photo I worked from shows it to be lacking the winch which was a bonus as the one in the kit bears no relation to real real thing.

The only things I did to it were some home made seats, mesh over the openings above the engine and rubbed down the rivets.

It's time someone did this as new moulding considering it was probably the first useful helicopter available to many armed forces.

Ian

hpCnY2i.jpg
jvuOM6u.jpg
tJXFofn.jpg
TNq3aE0.jpg

• Like 31

Very nice indeed.  Your model really brings out the character of the Whirlwind.  Totally with you on the need for new kits if this type.  I'd really like to start a series of RN Whirlwinds with their myriad colour schemes and marks but we're not exactly snowed under with kits.

Looks lovely Ian,

Pity that you didn`t go for the correct yellow roundel outline,....... but it still looks brilliant pal,

Cheers,

Tony 

Edited by tonyot

Tony

I know we discussed the yellow ring but the photo of WV198 was taken in the UK and the ring is the same tone as the white in the roundel.

I'm not sure whether 198 was taken to Malaysia can't find out much about it.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tonyot said:

Looks lovely Ian,

Pity that you didn`t go for the correct yellow roundel outline,....... but it still looks brilliant pal,

Cheers,

Tony 

The model is correct!  The roundels were outlined in white. I have shots of these in colour showing this and this actual machine is preserved today in these colours at Carlisle coded 'K'.

French versions had yellow outlines to the roundels  

16 hours ago, camper1 said:

Tony

I know we discussed the yellow ring but the photo of WV198 was taken in the UK and the ring is the same tone as the white in the roundel.

I'm not sure whether 198 was taken to Malaysia can't find out much about it.

Cheers

Ian

No worries and sorry,..... I thought that you`d gone for one of the Malayan based Whirlwinds which did have yellow outlines,..... I`ve realised now that it is a UK based one with titles and white roundel outline! 

Cheers

Tony

Rare as hen's teeth that kit!

I've sent you a PM regarding her operational service,your colour scheme is when she became a display exhibit from 1960.

She even masqueraded as an SAR  HAS 7 at one time compete with dayglo.

She's been restored at Solway Aviation Museum,Carlisle as shown here:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDZJC9LWj2_VmCUMTvDUR

2 hours ago, camper1 said:

It is the Revell kit, from reading about it it's closer 1/50th scale.

Close enough for me.

Ian

I'd heard 49th! Scale aside I think that it catches the look and feel of the Whirlwind.  For its age I think it  is  a surprisingly decent kit  and offers the potential of a very good model as camper 1 has shown us.