Heather's Workbench - the French connection, 1940 style

15 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

always wondered why chips and crisps aren't ( potatoes are veg aren't they?)

Quite.  A packet of Walkers counts for one of your five-a-day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 14/12/2018 at 10:49, Meatbox8 said:

Quite.  A packet of Walkers counts for one of your five-a-day.

Does that mean if I pig out on a whole pack of Kettle Chips I've had my five-a-day intake? I'm up for that. :yahoo:

The itch proves impossible not to scratch. I've already said I may build up several models to the "ready for paint" stage, and would you believe it the Dewoitine D.520 fell off the shelf and ended up on the bench. :innocent:

46274704002_d624a0b1da_b.jpg

A look in the box. This is very different to what I normally expect. Half the job's already done! What's not to like?

46324847181_31a694f3f2_b.jpg

The instructions, covering how to assemble the 25 parts, not counting the alternative spinner. The decal sheet looks okay. 

46274702742_1969bb8845_b.jpg

Two marking and camouflage options, both post June 1940 armistice. Now, the dilemma: the other French types I will build are all Battle of France markings, which would make this model an outlier. While telling the Vichy story fits well into my 1940 overall theme, I think I will seriously consider taking this model back in time a short while. I should be able to repurpose the markings supplied to fit the May to June period, and indeed I have a reference for the less colourful markings option in just such colours. The only variation, for those that are interested, is planes flying in the Vichy controlled part of France after June 1940 had to have white rings applied to roundels, and a white bar on the fuselage sides. If I can trim those features from the fuselage markings on the decal sheet, all well and good. If not, there may be a spot of compromise involved. 

46274702062_606c53d978_b.jpg

There's not much to it, really. This could be classed as a coffee break build. That moulded pitot tube on the port wing will have to be replaced by some brass wire, I think. It's already been bent.

46324844511_86cda98283_b.jpg

The office is basic. There is no instrument panel, and I'm not sure about that bollard that is supposed to be the control column. I don't think I shall worry over that, just add some tape belts and a little painted detailing here and there.

46274700582_a8c27b83f0_b.jpg

I think you can just see there is in fact a seam line along the fuselage. Some sanding will be required!

46324842571_d6367d087f_b.jpg

Very tiny amounts of flash are present here and there. A goodly level of detail is evident on the parts. The sprue tree includes some components that are not numbered, and don't appear in this model for whatever reason. Why they are there at all is anyone's guess.

31385954817_bf4d412415_b.jpg

Fitting the wings to the fuselage is pretty easy. I took the precaution of slightly shortening the long pegs on the wing moulding, and carefully cleaning up the mating surfaces on both main parts.

31385953487_fe827d908a_b.jpg

Some test fitting showed the fit was excellent, but needed a little careful scraping to get the rear of the fuselage to sit down properly. I did use cement to hold things together, though it's more or less a snap fit. In the end, a little sanding and some PPP filler was applied to get a neat join everywhere.

31385952657_383783b91c_b.jpg

Tail and air intakes on, plus the radiator underneath. Nearly finished! I found the tail wheel needed a tiny bit trimming off the mounting peg so it sat at what I think is a more accurate level.

46324838331_0edb0af310_b.jpg

I've taken the rather unorthodox approach of more or less completing the build before painting. I'll need to paint the cockpit, and mask and fit the canopy, but I felt it would actually be no problem at all to paint details after the main camouflage has been applied. 

So, that's it. On the shelf with the Bloch, pending some increase in loft space temperature. I fear it may be some time, so I wonder if another kit will appear on the bench in the meantime. Whichever one it turns out to be, it won't be as quick to assemble as the D.520, that's for certain!

• Like 23

18 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

fell off the shelf and ended up on the bench. :innocent:

...this often happens when I go to a model shop. :shrug:

Great strides on the build but I think I would've done a bit of work in the 'pit', particularly if the canopy is going to be open.

Next?

Stuart

5 minutes ago, Courageous said:

particularly if the canopy is going to be open

It's not. It would need some work to make it open. Experience says there's probably very little that will be really visible in the cockpit at this scale, so I won't lose any sleep over it. 

Next? Not sure. I'm tempted by the Curtiss 75, but there's also the MS.406. The twin-engined planes will have to wait for some cabinet space to magically appear. Single-seaters can be squeezed in to gaps. The Mureaux might be fun. Hmm. :think:

• Like 3

Your prerogative Heather.

I think the only French fighter I have is a started Potez 631 by Azur in 1/48. Not to sure what I'll do with as like you, I have no space for the 1/48 let alone a twin!

I think you should tackle the Hawk next  :wink:

Stuart

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

It's not. It would need some work to make it open. Experience says there's probably very little that will be really visible in the cockpit at this scale, so I won't lose any sleep over it. 

Next? Not sure. I'm tempted by the Curtiss 75, but there's also the MS.406. The twin-engined planes will have to wait for some cabinet space to magically appear. Single-seaters can be squeezed in to gaps. The Mureaux might be fun. Hmm. :think:

HB's MS406 goes together the same way. The kit markings aren't Armee De L'Aire 1940, though.

Cabinet space is a problem for sure. I'm thinking my Do 217 will have to be an out door plane with  regular dusting breaking off parts. 

I dragged out the little Frog Blenheim yesterday with thoughts of finishing it. My scribing is far worse than I remembered. Still I think 

I will get it finished. At least it will fit in the back of my cabinet.

Heather, I can highly recommend this book - I've found it invaluable for my odd foray into French a/c of the period:

https://www.amazon.com/French-Aircraft-1939-1942-Dominique-Breffort/dp/2352501970/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1544915184&sr=1-1&keywords=french+aircraft+1939-1942

That is a ridiculous price, by the way - I bought mine new back in the day and it wasn't anything close to that much!! I am sure you could find it a lot cheaper on your side of the Atlantic!!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

HeatherI can highly recommend this book

Thanks Paul. I had a look, because good reference books are always worth having. I can find volume one at a reasonable two-figure price. Volume two, however, for whatever reason is at a stratospheric price. :shocked:

I like books. I would love to add the volumes to my library. Even as a Christmas present, though, those prices are beyond me. I shall, for now, continue to rely on the internet, my knowledgable friends here on BM, and what comes via the kit makers' research.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2018 at 1:40 PM, Heather Kay said:

There are one or two other aircraft that have been flagged up for my wish list, but this is the current French Air Force 1940 collection. It ought to keep me busy for a while. :drunk:

no mention yet for the Caudron C 440-5 Goéland - first flown in 1935 and an important school and training type in the inventory of the Armee de l'Air ..and the Luftwaffe post armistice.  The type became the most-produced aircraft in French factories during the German occupation.  RS Models do a lovely little kit, at least three different boxes details on BM here

AcaudronC445.jpg

• Like 3

..the Curtiss H-75 book (A4 hardback, 450 pages, a fantastic reference..) produced by Lela Presse is currently on half-price special offer at their website here

a page extract below; note extensive photo captions in English....(author and editor are friends of mine so I'm OK to post this, hope it's of interest..)

Curtiss1.jpg

Curtiss2.jpg

• Like 2

I have to say there are some brilliant books out there. Thank you to everyone adding to my wish lists! However, while my inner librarian would snap them up in an instant, I really can’t justify the expense for just one model. I try to get more general publications which give me a good overview of what I’m trying to build. 

I would love to be spending all my time hyper-detailing all my builds. I’ve done it in the past, but there is always a trade-off between enjoying the build process and getting bogged down in tiny details that will hardly be noticed once the model's on a shelf. I’ve started to take a more overall impressionistic view of my hobby, where I get something at the end which is identifiable as what it supposed to be!

• Like 7

I gave myself some more plane modelling time. The Curtiss was chosen, after some prompting earlier in the thread!

46329820261_da46d292ac_b.jpg

The AZ Model kit gives a choice of three Battle of France aces, and will build the A-1 and A-2 variants of the plane. The chief visible difference between the two is the quantity of machine guns in the wings. I've opted for the second variant: H-75A-2 No 158, Groupe de Chasse I/5, flown by Lieutenant Edmond Marin La Meslée in May 1940. He was credited with 16 victories.

46329820001_118d8b5d27_b.jpg

The instructions are typical of the short run kits, being a little vague in places, but nothing that can't be overcome by test fitting parts. The colour call-outs are shown using Humbrol colours. 

46329819921_75845e64cc_b.jpg

An addendum is printed on the rear sheet covering the modifications required if you want to build the A-1 variant.

46329819781_cdf5b6f7fc_b.jpg

One thing always bothers me about full rudder markings as beloved of the French, and that is how to fit the darned things to the model. In this case, the rudder is a separate part, so I plan to paint and decal it before fitting it to the rest of the model. The transparencies come in four parts, two quarter lights, the sliding part of the canopy and the windscreen. I doubt the canopy will fit in the open position, but as I want to also use it as a cockpit mask I won't be finding out. ;)

46329819261_6cd6d1ddbb_b.jpg

There's no resin or PE in this kit, so printed seat belts that are intended to be cut out is a new one on me. I've decided I'll use the old masking tape routine.

46329819581_99a6cdec7b_b.jpg

46329819661_05a7e35da9_b.jpg

Pretty standard fare. Some mild flash here and there.

46329819491_57a9ee9d96_b.jpg

The sort of raised cockpit wall detail we've come to expect these days.

46329819351_3ee43cbfdf_b.jpg

Rudder pedals, a basic but adequate instrument panel, halfway decent engine details - don't forget it's mostly hidden in the cowling. Most detailing is lightly engraved. 

46329818981_566f08b103_b.jpg

These are the wing gun barrels. We're at the limits of the injection moulding process here, and I can see it won't be at all easy cleaning the gate up on such small parts. Worst case, I'll substitute some brass wire and forego the nice moulded detail.

45417342325_3c27f8eeb4_b.jpg

I've made a start with painting by slapping something approaching the US cockpit green about. Note the arrow on the engine firewall. 

46329818791_a836b90cfb_b.jpg

It's not repeated on the instructions, so I've guessed - correctly - the arrow points down. There is a similar arrow moulded on the half-relief cylinder row to aid orientation. However, I found the arrow conflicts with the cylinder orientation as drawn. I found this after gluing everything together, of course. 

46329818641_39ef84ecfb_b.jpg

Some sub-assemblies go together, with some paint here and there. That was Saturday done.

45428056115_fec01231fe_b.jpg

I had hoped to get further with the build today, but life threw the inevitable spanner in the works. Various calamities occurred, but we're back at it now. Some cockpit paint detailing was done, the masking tape belts fitted and gently coloured with a brown pencil, and the basic tub installed in one half of the fuselage.

45428055745_a24f15e479_b.jpg

A different view showing the IP. The control column has since been painted. Unlike the shaving required when fitting the cockpit and IP in an Airfix Spitfire, this limited run kit needed only a gentle pass with a scalpel blade, chiefly to remove the paint from the mating edges, and it fitted like the proverbial glove.

44523703480_158058422f_b.jpg

Buttoning up. With no locating pins, I started with the tail end, using Revell Contacta. Once that was aligned, and clamped, I worked along the spine to the cockpit using liquid cement. Another clamp behind the cockpit, and I then applied cement along the underside join. Finally, with a little careful alignment, some more cement around the back of the cowling, followed by some tape to hold alignment. I'll leave that to harden overnight before I begin the gentle sanding process. Like the HB Dewoitine and the RS Bloch, I don't think I'll need very much filler at all, which is impressive.

Edited by Heather Kay
  • Like 14

The AZ Hawk looks like a nice kit.

Just out of interest and looking at the painting instructions for the kit options, does anybody know whether the French had official camouflage schemes, or did they simply specify the colours to be used with the painters applying random patterns?

AW

10 hours ago, Andwil said:

Just out of interest and looking at the painting instructions for the kit options, does anybody know whether the French had official camouflage schemes, or did they simply specify the colours to be used with the painters applying random patterns?

The latter is the way I understand it. 👍

• Like 2

A bit more work today, as I had a day of being in and out and paying work is hard to concentrate on under such circumstances.

31418833387_6d3522e989_b.jpg

I had assembled the wings last thing the previous day. After the neat fuselage fitting, the wings were a bit of a disappointment, but I must remember this is a limited run kit and such things are expected. The trailing edges are a little thick, and upper wings not quite the same size as the lower parts, leaving a slight step. I made sure the step was to the rear with the leading edges as clean as possible, and sanded away until I felt happy with the way it looked. Fitting to the fuselage needed a little fettling here and there, with a smear of PPP around the roots and around the front under the nose. 

I painted the engine parts. The instructions have an odd combination of aluminium, gunmetal and silver/chrome. I found some photos of a preserved flying Hawk 75 - happily in French colours - and followed the colours I could make out for the engine. I used a satin black as the basic colour, followed by a mix of matt black and Humbrol Metalcote steel around the gear hub and details. The bolt ring holding the hub in place was treated to a little Metalcote aluminium, after which I buffed the steel with a dry brush. After that, the front cowling could be fitted. 

45445701195_14b4a39a79_b.jpg

I hope you can see from this shot the cowling doesn't really fit all that well. I needed to trim a little from the rebate area behind the nose guns, and accept a step on one side or the other. The important thing, I felt, was to make sure the cowling looked centred, as it's the "face" of the plane.

31418833557_cab45c5fb6_b.jpg

I added some more PPP around the problem cowling area, and while that dried I fitted the horizontal stabilisers. 

45635174784_2104f985c7_b.jpg

From beneath you can sort of see how poor the fit for the wing parts was at first. I'll need a smear of filler at the stabiliser roots.

45635175004_7c2d94a031_b.jpg

After cleaning up the PPP with a damp cotton bud or three, some careful sanding was done to try and fair in the cowling step. 

45445701375_2d487bedaf_b.jpg

It's getting there. Hopefully, I've not lost any major engraved details. Still to fit round the engine area is a chin intake and the exhaust shrouds. Then, I reckon I should mask the glazing and fit that so I can think about priming.

Crikey! That's a third plane almost ready for priming. Dare I break into another one? What's left of the single-seaters? The MS.406 and the Mureaux 117. Hmm, we'll see.

• Like 9

Very interesting topic ,i have  started to become interested in French WW2 aircraft ,i recently finished the HB MS406 & D520 ,plus the Smer Bloch 152 ,the HB decals are a bit fragile .

Also got on the go 2 Smer 1/72 French bombers ,the Amoit 143and the other one i can't remember the name .

3 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Very interesting topic ,i have  started to become interested in French WW2 aircraft ,i recently finished the HB MS406 & D520 ,plus the Smer Bloch 152 ,the HB decals are a bit fragile .

Also got on the go 2 Smer 1/72 French bombers ,the Amoit 143and the other one i can't remember the name .

I have a Smer Bloch, too. I think it may not be built, as it doesn’t really stack up to the RS kit. Then again, as it’s a Heller mould I might save it for the Heller Group build when it arrives. :)

The fragile HB decals have been noted, thank you. I’ve had a look on the Hannants site for suitable aftermarket decals covering French planes, and they’re a bit thin on the ground. I may have to dig a bit deeper if I think I need them. 

Hi Heather,

re the markings for your Curtiss, the blue of the roundels and rudder appears very suspicious on the decal sheet. Far too bright, unless it is the photo.

Possibly better to paint the rudder with the right colors?

Your builds are rather impressive. Congrats!

JR