Heather's Workbench - the French connection, 1940 style

6 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Am I the only one to see that the Hobby Boss D.520 windscreen doesn't fit on the boxtop model?

I noticed that. You persuaded me to dig the box out and see if the kit itself is okay. I’m pleased to report the transparency fits very neatly, so I put the box photo down to hamfistedness and being in a rush to get it photographed. 

• Like 4

I shall sleep soundly tonight after that good news! 😆

Seriously though, I wonder how many people were put off buying it because of that picture.

Also, I've never known how to correctly pronounce some of the French aircraft manufacturer names,

So if you can drop some hints during your builds, I would be most grateful.

18 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

So if you can drop some hints during your builds, I would be most grateful.

I can do my best, but I flunked out of French in 1979! I wanted to learn German, but the teachers said I couldn’t because apparently I wasn’t good enough at French. Of course, English has a lot in common with German, so I reckon I would have been quite good. Stupid teachers. It still annoys me, forty years on. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Seriously though, I wonder how many people were put off buying it because of that picture

I for one.  I have often been tempted to try those Hobby Boss easy build kits as they look quite good, except for the canopies which never look right in the box photos.

AW

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I'm up for all of these subjects!

Impatient of Mars 👽

So am I, but I must remain chilled my Martian friend. One reason is paying work takes precedence. The other is my current display cabinet only has space for one or two little models. I need a bigger house to display all the models I have planned! 

It it would be nice to spend my Christmas piling into this lot, but I’m afraid I have made other plans that involve wrestling with my business web site. I know which I’d rather be doing, though.

• Like 2

talking of ugly critters (..and 'blanks' in your collection..), here's one 'important' French type you haven't mentioned - the Loire Nieuport LN 401/411. A contemporary of the Blackburn Skua or even the Aichi 'Val', the "French Stuka" was a small gull-winged, single-engine 'strike' dive bomber. The navalised variant was the LN 401 intended for service on the French carrier Béarn and fitted with a landing hook, buoyancy 'cells' inflated with CO2 and foldable wings, while the LN 411 was a land-based variant planned to equip regular Armée de l'Air bomber units. The French carrier had cleared off to the French West Indies when the Germans invaded (IIRC) so the 401s were 'stranded' ashore. They were tasked with ground-attack sorties against Panzer spearheads in northern France - on 19 May ten of these were lost to flak during one attack by 20 aircraft on the crossroads at Berlaimont...

ln411-boxtop.jpg

Nieuportln.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Ah, yes. I’m just beginning to learn about the French naval types that fought in 1940. More to add to my wish list!

Oh that's sure !!

A Vindicator as an example… But without the bomb thrower device...

I have some docs if I can help !!

I think it's a bit too late in your case but...

WP_20180710_23_11_28_ProWP_20170104_19_36_25_ProWP_20170104_19_36_15_Pro

Be carefulll when gluing the engine cowling, it's not straight but a bit angled !

Nice collection, I Always liked the dinosaur look of the Amiot 143 !!

Good job Heather !! Keep carry on !

sincerely.

CC

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I can do my best, but I flunked out of French in 1979! I wanted to learn German, but the teachers said I couldn’t because apparently I wasn’t good enough at French. Of course, English has a lot in common with German, so I reckon I would have been quite good. Stupid teachers. It still annoys me, forty years on. 

Agreed a 200%

But if I can help for french or german...

I started years ago to learn russian, but I stopped for ancilliary reasons...:rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Be carefulll when gluing the engine cowling, it's not straight but a bit angled !

The kit, happily, does mention the angle. It’s about two degrees to port, designed to help counter the engine torque. 

5 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

But if I can help for french or german...

All help gratefully received. I’ve had a bash at the French names, with my poorly transcribed phonetics:

Dewoitine - duh-wah-teen

Bloch - either blosh, or like the Scottish loch

Morane Saulnier - more-ann sole-nee-ay

Potez - either pot-ez or pot-ay

Breguet - brej-oo-ay

Amiot - am-ee-oh

Caudron Renault - co-dron renn-oh

How was that? :)

• Like 7

Hey, you're good at this game !!

Dewoitine ! right !

Bloch is like scottish Bloch but not Lommond alas !:cheers:

Morane Saulnier right !

Potez you must pronounce the Z So Potez right too !

Breguet is Bray Guay

Amiot Right !

Caudron Renault Right Too!

Congratulations !!

2,3° to be precise… But no one will take the time to check the 0,3° :whistle:

I'm still searching casually for a Loire Nieuport LN 400 at 1/48

I'm found of Navy birds !

Oh and Loire Nieuport is Lwa re niuh porh

At around a mile from my home there was a german Airfied used for a few weeks in 1940 !

Interesting researches !!

And a lot of crash sites all around my home !!

WP_20180817_22_53_40_Pro

Here's my interpretation of the MB 152's interior, 1/48 of course

But I work on this kit only at Homeapathic doses….

Keep on carrying the good job !

Oh another thing, Capt De Rohan Chabot has been shooted down not too far from here, the street Driving to the Florennes Air Base still bear his name

And his tombstone here in Florennes is decorated by 2 prop blades of his Morane 406 !

WP_20161027_12_18_26_Pro[1]

For this while, this one is the only one finished in my Battle of France serie

It's the 109 of Gunther Lützow based here in Philippeville.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 10

On 12/9/2018 at 1:08 AM, Heather Kay said:

I never came higher than 20th in my class in French, but came 5th or 6th regularly in German. Maybe because my great grandparents were all German, but I doubt it.

Happy to say though that I had the pronunciations right, but only because I asked a Frenchman I work with about Breguet! That is also one of the few WWI companies still in business.  He changed his name to Dassault, (Dass-oh) the rest, as they say, is history.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

I never came higher than 20th in my class in French, but came 5th or 6th regularly in German. Maybe because my great grandparents were all German, but I doubt it.

Happy to say though that I had the pronunciations right, but only because I asked a Frenchman I work with about Breguet! That is also one of the few WWI companies still in business.  He changed his name to Dassault, (Dass-oh) the rest, as they say, is history.

Ian

Sorry Ian,

But the one who changed his name for Dassault was Marcel Bloch !! Because of his origins ! (Hence AMD standing for Avion Marcel Dassault)

And for the little history, they've been sheltered in a french family… The Chirac to name them !

Breguet is still Breguet and they worked with Aerospatiale IMHO.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

Very nice work so far and the potential for some really interesting builds. I think I built most of the Heller kits as a kid mostly because between them and the more offbeat matchbox offerings they were all that was available in the shops. Although 1/72 isn't my scale (anymore) and I seem to be stuck between 1914 and 1929 at the moment  I'll be enjoying watching this thread.

I am itching to get back to these models. Sadly, I'm being held up a bit by this sort of thing:

45377297965_ff95b6becf_c.jpg

This is a 7mm/1ft scale, 1/43rd in other words, Great Western Small Prairie tank loco that I’m building as a commission. I’m a slow and careful builder, with some commissions stretching into the years rather than weeks. I am aiming for this one to be completed and handed over to the professional painter at the beginning of March. In reality, barring unfortunate incidents, this will be pretty much complete by Christmas. Come the new year, and I’ll be back into dozens of 7mm scale coaches for a bit.

i like to reward myself with some aircraft modelling, so I tend to store up the "rewards" to give me a few days at a time on a build or three. With my paint shop in my loft space, and winter arriving, I am very tempted to get several models up to the primer stage to make it worth getting the heating on, so I may well crack open another box or two soon.

Edited by Heather Kay
Proof read before submitting it, darn it!
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Sadly, I'm being held up a bit by this sort of thing:

Sadly? Heather, I can see,hear and smell the steam oozing out of that machine.

A thing of beauty. You take your time and enjoy it.

On the other hand, I've done commission builds in the past and wanted to get on with my own stuff.

So I know how you feel. It will pass.

oh lordy lord that is impressive,and you reward yourself with French Fancies?

flippin heck 

Strickers

Edited by HAMP man

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Sadly?

I’ve built quite a few locos over the past few years I’ve been doing this professionally, and I’ve come to the definite conclusion I really don’t like building locos! Making them look pretty is fine enough, it’s the making the damned things go that irks me. Once the locos in the queue are done, I’m not taking new ones on. I shall be concentrating on coaches. There are four waiting to be finished, and I’ve got 15 waiting to be built!

So, that’s 2019 full, and probably mostly into 2020 too! :frantic:

Edited by Heather Kay
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

45377297965_ff95b6becf_c.jpg

That is beautiful model engineering Heather. I dabbled a while back in 4mm scale but got frustrated at trying to turn this into a running P4 true scale engine. I'll probably finish it one day as a static engine. Its the DJH 9F, although suspect you know that!

DSC_1474

Terry

Edited by Terry1954
  • Like 4

On 12/8/2018 at 9:08 PM, Heather Kay said:

If it's any consolation I opted to do German as I thought it was similar to English and, thus, would be a doddle.  How wrong I was !  German grammar is really hard, for me at least, and I really struggled with it.  The structure of sentences is completely the other way round to English.  Plus there's all that Der, Die, Das stuff. I find French a lot easier except in pronunciation, where German is a lot more straightforward.

I was taught Hochdeutch and as I've only been to Munich I got some funny looks from the locals (well, a look of incomprehensibility anyway).  I was, however, able to ask a barman if he'd put Kraftwerk on Spotify for me, of which I am quite proud.  I love Munich btw.    Great beer, great pork, very friendly and a terrific aviation hall at the Deutsches Museum.  I just wouldn't recommend it to a vegetarian.  I didn't see a vegetable the whole time I was there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5