VF-21 F-14A Operation Earnest Will

whiskey

Trying to get a little bit more information regarding two Tomcats from VF-21 that "engaged" something while flying CAP during Operation Earnest Will in 1987. I can't find anything about the BuNo's for the flight that were involved (not surprising) with this. I have Furball's VF-21 sheet and it has a F-14A while assigned to the USS Constellation in 1987 so it's the correct time and place but I just want to know what the two birds actually were. Any leads or info would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the story:

https://warisboring.com/in-1987-u-s-navy-f-14s-engaged-phantom-iranian-planes/

Posted it on another forum and haven't had any responses yet. Hopefully it'll be different here.

I searched all my references and couldn't find anything on the idendity of these two Tomcats. Guess the best second choice would be trying to find the aircraft assigned to the two pilots, although it's not necessarily true that they were flying those same aircraft that day

Understood Giorgio thanks. Only one reply to the same posting on another site, from a guy that was on board the Connie during the incident I am looking into. Unfortunately he didn't recall or know what aircraft frames were the two in flight, however he did have a few great things to say that have only added to my quest.

Edited by whiskey
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:21 PM, whiskey said:

Trying to get a little bit more information regarding two Tomcats from VF-21 that "engaged" something while flying CAP during Operation Earnest Will in 1987. I can't find anything about the BuNo's for the flight that were involved (not surprising) with this. I have Furball's VF-21 sheet and it has a F-14A while assigned to the USS Constellation in 1987 so it's the correct time and place but I just want to know what the two birds actually were. Any leads or info would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the story:

https://warisboring.com/in-1987-u-s-navy-f-14s-engaged-phantom-iranian-planes/

Posted it on another forum and haven't had any responses yet. Hopefully it'll be different here.

Zach,

You might try the F-14 website I posted the link to below. It's a great modeling resource for all things Tomcat!

Mike

http://www.anft.net/f-14/

• Thanks 1

Really I feel that this is the kind of info that only someone who was there would recall, at least until all official documents are declassified. Seeing how even the USN never mentioned the events, it's unlikely that enthusiast websites will have the info. The guy who was on the carrier may be the best chance to get through the right document... assuming it's something that can be divulged