1:72nd RAF Tornado recommendations

alhenderson

Evening all,

Struggling with the usual questions of "what do tutorial want for Christmas".  Quite fancied a Corgi die cast Tornado, but they're expensive. So, I thought, maybe a plastic kit would be a cheaper option, whilst also being more rewarding.

Just wondering what folks views are on the decent 1/72nd kits on the market? I think it's want a GR.4, although proper camo GR.1s are attractive.

Cheers,

Al

If you want to do a gr4 the Revell kit with the freightdog gr4 conversion is the way to go (with a sbs resin nose if you can’t live with the slightly inaccurate profile of the Revell kit, I personally can even as a lover of the tonka). Very easy to get hold of the Revell kit. If you want the long gone fighter the hard to find Hasegawa and the now not that easy to find italeri(reboxed by Tamiya and Revell) are the options to go for. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

30 minutes ago, Nigel Bunker said:

There is no Revell GR.4. Take a Revell GR.1, add a Freightdog GR.4 conversion set, source decals of your choice and voila! A 1/72 Tornado GR.4.

Of course! Should have read the original reply!  I must admit I had thought there were more external differences between the GR.1 and the GR,4 than just the FLIR.  Thought there was a difference in the RWR aerials on the fin, but having looked at some pictures, I must have dreamt it!

Al.

You are correct there is a difference, but its not the tail its the spine. The Tornados flying now have an anti collision system called TCAS, the twin aerial machines kept the two blades until TCAS was installed.

TCAS started coming in around 2014/5, the last machine being changed around the end of 2016. The spine aerials and the under nose aerial were removed as each machine was modernised, these aerials hadnt been used since gps was introduced as part of the GR4 conversion so you'll also need to add a small gps disc to the spine. Use card for the TCAS devices

As for kits, use the Revell gr1 kit, the kit nose is a bit pointy but there are some lovely replement resin noses made by Braz models. The kits got loads of weaponry, the large hindenburger tanks anda cracking decal sheet with camo and the two grey scheme stencil

Edited by nigelshipp
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, alhenderson said:

Of course! Should have read the original reply!  I must admit I had thought there were more external differences between the GR.1 and the GR,4 than just the FLIR.  Thought there was a difference in the RWR aerials on the fin, but having looked at some pictures, I must have dreamt it!

Al.

Don't forget that the GR4 only had one gun.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nigelshipp said:

You are correct there is a difference, but its not the tail its the spine. The Tornados flying now have an anti collision system called TCAS, the twin aerial machines kept the two blades until TCAS was installed.

TCAS started coming in around 2014/5, the last machine being changed around the end of 2016. The spine aerials and the under nose aerial were removed as each machine was modernised, these aerials hadnt been used since gps was introduced as part of the GR4 conversion so you'll also need to add a small gps disc to the spine. Use card for the TCAS devices

As for kits, use the Revell gr1 kit, the kit nose is a bit pointy but there are some lovely replement resin noses made by Braz models. The kits got loads of weaponry, the large hindenburger tanks anda cracking decal sheet with camo and the two grey scheme stencil

So, the aerials seen in this picture (2 behind the cockpit and one under the nose just behind the radome) are the ones we are talking about?

6050917098_57d3407756_z.jpgZD895_1 by Alistair Henderson, on Flickr

And I think you are saying these aerials became redundant with the GR.4 upgrade, but were only removed with the TCAS update in 2014-16?

Interestingly, found this shot of a GR.1 of the SAOEU in 1996 which does not have those aerials at all.

8276348647_6c58385569_c.jpgZG706 by Alistair Henderson, on Flickr

Were these aerials introduced during the GR.1s life span?  I was going to say that the above being a test jet may have had something to do with, but I have pictures of operational machines also lacking those aerials in the 90s.

I do love them with hindenberg tanks, though, so that might well drive my choice of markings.

Al.

PS - not succeeding with inserting images.  Tried to insert media via the menu, but it didn't like the URLs I got from Flickr..

PPS - fixed 🙂

Edited by alhenderson

Yes the twin aerials did become redundant on 4's but were kept

If its just a nice GR1 you want then you can save yourself a bit of effort and build the Revell kit straight out of the box. Tornado squadrons started using the hindenburgers in the gulf in 91 and kept using them afterwards, this is good as it gives you a choice of the schemes

The Tornado sig website forum has quite a few different schemes. Heres my latest 4

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tornado_sig/1-72-revell-gr4a-12-sqn-t584.html

All the best

Nigel

If you choose to build your kit with gear down and on the ground, don’t forget that the wings need to be displayed in the forward unswept position!

Eng

Only other thing I’d recommend with the Revell kit is to shorten the nose oleo/shock absorber slightly otherwise the jet sits slightly too nose high.

Eng

18 hours ago, eng said:

Only other thing I’d recommend with the Revell kit is to shorten the nose oleo/shock absorber slightly otherwise the jet sits slightly too nose high.

Eng

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.  Hopefully I won't end up with it looking like its kneeling down 🙂

Al.