1/72 Airfix North American B-25C

Hello

Here is my last build with this 1/72 Airfix North American B-25C from 83rd Bomb Squadron / 12th Bomber Group U.S. Army Air Force in 1942 somewhere in the North African desert area. Decals came from Xtradecal.

Soon to be published in Tamiya Magazine French Edition.

Patrick

m_542884353_0.jpg

m_542884361_0.jpg

m_542884364_0.jpg

m_542884372_0.jpg

• Like 56

Beautifully done weathering. The worn away paint on the cowlings and leading edges is very convincing.

Not a B-25 expert but what are the fairings on the above wing outlets on the starboard wing and why are they not the port wing?

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Baldy said:

Beautifully done weathering. The worn away paint on the cowlings and leading edges is very convincing.

Not a B-25 expert but what are the fairings on the above wing outlets on the starboard wing and why are they not the port wing?

Cheers

Malcolm

Hi Malcom

I have seen that on pictures but I do not know why on only one side. I can suppose this is due to the same rotation way of both propellers.

Patrick

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Hi Malcom

I have seen that on pictures but I do not know why on only one side. I can suppose this is due to the same rotation way of both propellers.

Patrick

Yep- we had quite a discussion about this a while back. Do a search in the WW2 section for B-25 oil cooler fairings to  see all the comments. General concensus was it had something to do with disrupted airflow over the outlets on the one side due to direction of prop rotation; it appears that later versions of the Mitchell did away with these fairings.

Mike

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Yep- we had quite a discussion about this a while back. Do a search in the WW2 section for B-25 oil cooler fairings to  see all the comments. General concensus was it had something to do with disrupted airflow over the outlets on the one side due to direction of prop rotation; it appears that later versions of the Mitchell did away with these fairings.

Mike

11 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Hi Malcom

Patrick

Thanks guys - interesting. I have never noticed before.

Cheers

Malcolm

That is a really excellent rendition of a B-25.  A beautiful paint finish with excellent weathering.  I really like how you've illustrated the Olive Drab coming trough under the Desert Pink.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

That is a really excellent rendition of a B-25.  A beautiful paint finish with excellent weathering.  I really like how you've illustrated the Olive Drab coming trough under the Desert Pink.

Hi

The Olive drab is really under the desert pink, but I used a piece of spounge to apply some Humbrol Maskol that I discarded later.

Patrick

• Like 1

Just got through watching "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" last night- to refresh my memory of early B-25's. Noticed that some of the Mitchells used in the film had the fairings over the RH oil cooler outlets and some didn't! Also noticed that the airplanes used in the take-off scenes had yellow prop tips, whereas all of the Doolittle Raid B-25's had the props repainted before departure and were all-black- no yellow tips.

Mike

• Like 1