Xtrakit 1/72 Sea Vixen FAW 2

Just finished this kit. I found it a bit hard going, lots of filler. The decals are good but tend to curl up instantly. Still it is done, so as usual all comments welcome. I finished her clean with a bit of weathering because she flew at air shows so was kept clean.

45469111054_b651b898ee.jpgDSCF9486 by john dann, on Flickr

45469111074_7166fe5148.jpgDSCF9487 by john dann, on Flickr

45469111134_7dac65b97c.jpgDSCF9489 by john dann, on Flickr

45469146964_8eba4937fa.jpgDSCF9500 by john dann, on Flickr

• Like 24

Your model looks every bit a Sea Vixen, which is great news! I love what you have achieved with this charismatic plane. The grey looks a bit pale, or is it because of the flash light?

I have never tried to build an Xtrakit model, although I was/ still am tempted by their Vampire. 

Great show!!!

JR

• Like 1

A superb looking sea vixen that really brings out its aggressive lines.  EDSG does seem to vary quite a lot depending on the light.  There is a photo, possibly of this very aircraft during its service life, in the Warpaint publication that looks a very similar shade to this (taken on a sunny day)  whereas some of my models in EDSG look really dark when not in natural light. 

Anyway, congrats on finishing this kit!  I have recently finished the Mk1 incarnation from MPM.  The butt joined tail booms were interesting.  Did you do anything special to secure yours?  I inserted old plastic biros in mine to give them some strength (still broke one off though) plus scrap sprue as wing spars.  The miniature resin ejector seats were unusual too - possibly 1/96th scale.  Still, despite what some have said about shape etc I still think it looks like a Sea Vixen and was well worth the effort.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

A superb looking sea vixen that really brings out its aggressive lines.  EDSG does seem to vary quite a lot depending on the light.  There is a photo, possibly of this very aircraft during its service life, in the Warpaint publication that looks a very similar shade to this (taken on a sunny day)  whereas some of my models in EDSG look really dark when not in natural light. 

Anyway, congrats on finishing this kit!  I have recently finished the Mk1 incarnation from MPM.  The butt joined tail booms were interesting.  Did you do anything special to secure yours?  I inserted old plastic biros in mine to give them some strength (still broke one off though) plus scrap sprue as wing spars.  The miniature resin ejector seats were unusual too - possibly 1/96th scale.  Still, despite what some have said about shape etc I still think it looks like a Sea Vixen and was well worth the effort.

Like you with tail booms i put in plastic strips helped a lot

• Like 1