Me Bf 109E-7 Trop - 1:72 HobbyBoss

Hello! Here's my HobbyBoss 1:72 Messerschmitt Bf 109E-7 Trop which I built back in 2008.

It represents "Black 8", of 8./JG27, flown by Lt Werner Schroer, at Ain El Gazala, Libya, in April 1941.

Despite being an "easy-build" kit, I had alot of work dealing with poor joints, especially along the fuselage sides. I added belts in the cockpit from an Eduard Luftwaffe WWII etched set.

Although the boxtop displayed this option, it wasn't included in the decals so I used some from an old Airfix kit (from around 1980) which I had left over and were still in good condition. The main markings came from the HobbyBoss kit.

The kit was mostly painted by brush except for the RLM80 mottling which was done with airbrush. The matt varnish was also airbrushed. Photos of this machine show it in reasonably good conditions so I kept weathering restrained.

Thanks for looking and all comments are welcome

Miguel

eH_p_sYOUuwFHm2EyXQqennxuc5p6a34pG9FuSkt

q6N9ry3lrs7IfbwMY9mt5LBd3pt2vvvisuaV81Zb

ZyCum-viNZvbkxmgls7vBVrGyuy0EiHFFpLpYa28

26RSH5ct6nq15wzIN270KxWOKUTNDQvdEVm5q4q_

gyKI-jGitHR_aX6rjSWMcVqAdn_MYa0ydCmpaSnB

3vrNQA9abjoATVizSf318U6PpMmGbJ5QYuJbsfXR

8wqIzt1anlgjV839ZBX2mH1rSfA_QTmH1OEAvCvJ

S0EDeOZ5N75sjPQnqf7NfYx4GNv3xt9pujltg4X7

vdciYryLJHQnUrNkUXCO75-0IE8MMdufM566QHbD

G_8wSD2b_WmAjVXS0ARDxydrwd8geqwoKK3Qqb8a

GurpjcMMVvvhXkrNgLxEh_-sJJY43r03zDgAxnXS

Edited by Mig88
Adding photos
  • Like 25

Extremely nice Emil. Excellent mottling, never an easy thing to achieve.

Is the cockpit the usual sketchy affair?

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

Thank you very much everyone!

I tried to get the mottling as close as possible to the real thing but I obviously went astray here and there!

21 hours ago, jean said:

JR, this is the only HobbyBoss kit I have bought and built so i can't tell. I felt the cockpit wasn't too bad and I used what came only adding the Eduard belts as mentioned. The sides were devoid of any detail though.

Miguel

21 hours ago, jean said:

Extremely nice Emil. Excellent mottling, never an easy thing to achieve.

Congrats

JR

HB easy Bf109E has a better cockpit than major easy kits, although quite brief.

• Like 1

Looks good.

Agreed - the 'Easy Build' title is a bit of a misnomer with these kits, as they often need a fair bit of scraping, sanding and filling. Maybe they should be called 'Not Many Parts' instead.?  

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

The markings for Black 8 actually are in the other boxing of the 109E Trop from HB, the E-4/Trop. It also has markings for Marseille's Emil.

Well then, that's misleading boxart!!

17 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Good work on the blotching particularly as it is 1/72. It was hard enough on my 1/48 Zero. Must have been much hard to do at this scale.

Not easy no, especially with my little practice with the airbrush. Unfortunately, due to various reasons, I haven't been using my airbrush for years. Now that I have more space I'm hoping to get another table relatively soon and be able to have a permanent setup for it.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Good work on the blotching particularly as it is 1/72. It was hard enough on my 1/48 Zero. Must have been much hard to do at this scale.

Wish I had a nice setup for spray painting. Mine is in the garage where I have to do battle with all the farm cats and Mossies. Makes it hard to do those small parts where you have to use multiple paint colours. 

• Like 1