A trio of triplanes, soon to be a quintet, Pfalz, Fokker, 2 Sopwiths

Marklo

With the Gamecock being within weeks of the finish line, I thought I'd start something else. The DR1 was one of the first planes I ever scratchbuilt (about 35 years ago along with a Gotha GIV), although the last one was in 1/72. I have been planning to do this for a long time and I reckon that it should be a relatively simple build. So I can finish the Gamecock, the DH4a, the FW190 and the Albatross DI in parallell hmmm. In my infinite wisdom(or something like that) I've also decided to build the dragon dr1 I started but never finished 30 years ago and scratchbuild a Snark, should be fun :)

45476137884_6e2047cb9b_z.jpg
First up the Pfalz, Step 1, wing and fuselage pieces cut out of 1mm sheet. Formers and keel slotted and fitted together. As with the Gamecock, doubled at the keel so I can split the form easily for molding. At  the moment I'm planning on making the form for the cowling as part of the fuselage and splitting  off for molding. I'm going to hold off on the fuselage molding until I get my vacuum box up and running as I reckon it will give me a much better mold and be a lot less work than the Gamecock was (although it should be anyway because its a much less complicated profile) But I can still go ahead and infill and shape the form and make the wings and tail surfaces.

I will also endeavor to avoid all the obvious dumb puns on the name Pfalz, Pfalz move, Pfalz start and so on......

Edited by Marklo
added extra stuff
  • Like 5

but leave your ‘Gamecock’  so unprotected?

Frankly it doesn't take any effort to get a giggle with that one. For example look at the size of my Gamecock etc. whereas (in my head) Pfalz at least needs a bit of a nudge :)  waheyyy etc.

Edited by Marklo

• 1 month later...

Have decided to make this a grand triplanes thread and will also scratch a Snark and build a Dragon Fokker Dr1, might even throw a regular Sopwith into the mix if I can get hold of a suitable kit(no point in scratching one) more to follow....

Also wondering how to change the topic title...

Edited by Marklo

On 06/12/2018 at 08:40, Marklo said:

I will also endeavor to avoid all the obvious dumb puns on the name Pfalz, Pfalz move, Pfalz start and so on......

German pronunciation is ' p'falts ', ......   ie 'p' is (lightly) pronounced, 'al' as in 'Alan', 'z' is pronounced 'ts'.............which sounds nothing like 'false'....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

Also wondering how to change the topic title...

I think if you go back to your first post and click on the edit option you will get access to to the thread title and can change it. The option is only there on the first post of each thread. I think that’s how it’s done anyway. 🤔

• Thanks 1

Yes home made. A 4 x 6 photo-frame, notched to take some mini bulldog clips as a plastic holder and small wooden lidded box with holes drilled and an attachment from an old hoover duct taped together (as I couldn't find any tubes of mastic that hadn't set on me) I'll post some photos tomorrow.

46749404711_2268a08026_z.jpg

As promised here's a photo of the Vacuum Box, metal box bought from ebay, lid drilled side cut and an old attachement from a defunct oover ( well actually a miele, but you get the idea) duct taped together.

46024593724_dbb3a2745f_z.jpg

Butchered 4 x 6 photoframe with mini bulldog clips (ebay again)

Worked a charm, the trick was to get the plastic soft enough, took about 3 minutes under the grill. The nice thing over male/female molding is that after a failed attempt I could just reheat the plastic and try again.

46024593644_95282ef843_z.jpg

And here's the latest update on the build. Filled the blank using readmixed polyfiller and a bit more sanding, I used green stuff on the Gamecock and found it outgassed when it got hot, distorting the mold a little, polyfiller was used on the Dpredussin and this seemed to work better, also it's much easier to sand. Hopefully I'll be ready for some molding on the weekend. I'll probably start the other DR1 as well.

Still working on drawings for the Snark, quite a bit of fiddling in CAD still left before I get into actual construction.

46702278331_70657f2850_z.jpg

31808113547_dda7fa8fbe_z.jpg

Basically I know the length and the width and the square footage of the wings. I have details of the Dragon fly engine and two photos of two of the three prototypes built. my plan is to use what little data I have an d then tweak the models till the look like the photos, The shape and size of the wings is almost there, the fuselage and tail need quite a bit more tuning, but it is getting there.

Once I have the CAD done, I'll print off drawings to use as a cutting guide, then it will be very similar to the Pfalz in construction.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

39820255763_a4e7052295_z.jpg

Fuselage almost ready for molding, Blank cut into three pieces after extensive filling and sanding. Painted in (black as happens) enamel to see if any more sanding is needed. The cowl has a bit of a visible seam but the sides are ok. Hopefully will get molding at the weekend.

Are you aware that there's a quite nice three view of the Snark in Vol three (Fighters) of War Planes of the first World War. The Snark wings (all) also have quite a wide flat centre panel and not as in your CAD sketch.

Can I also suggest that you use Lime (or Bass) wood not Balsa. It's close grained and easy to carve, it finishes beautifully and you can form over it without painting the surface.

John

• Like 1

Funny you should mention the fighters of WWI book i actually  ordered a 2nd hand copy just this week.  More detail will certainly help.

The cad is very much a work in progress and probably has quite a way to go until it's ready for translation into the real world.  Since I posted that view I've made quite a few changes to the tail, wings and fuselage.

I tend to use the balsa because I have it to hand and it's easy to shape, not sure if I can get bass wood, but I am using some deal on my ju87 a canopy mold as it is more robust and has much finer grain, which won't show on a clearmolding.

Edited by Marklo

45908725265_2d883e6ee9_z.jpg

45908725045_6c3e67bb8f_z.jpg

Molding at the weekend got two reasonable fuselage halves done (as well as the spats for the Stuka) the front cowl didn't go so well, so I'll need to go again for that, but I won't need it for a while anyway. 

As happens I ordered copies of British Fighter Since 1912  and Warplanes of the First World War: Fighters. Volume 1 Great Britain  last week as both  are cited as references by wikipedia  for the Snark so hopefully  they will yield a bit more info. The first is shipped and due by the end of February while the second is confirmed as available (?) and promising 4 - 21 days shipping. I'll just putter along on the 2 DR1's till they arrive, ho hum. That said the two orders came to £11 including the shipping so I can't exactly argue :)

Edited by Marklo

There's no drawing in the Peter Lewis book and you will need Volume Three of Warplanes for the Snark. It's the only drawing of the Snark that I know of. The Sopwith Harleyford book does not have a drawing either. If you can't get a copy of the drawing I will be pleased to copy it for you. Just PM me.

Bass wood can be bought via Hobbys website.

John

On 1/19/2019 at 12:18 AM, Marklo said:

Funny you should mention the fighters of WWI book i actually  ordered a 2nd hand copy just this week.  More detail will certainly help.

The cad is very much a work in progress and probably has quite a way to go until it's ready for translation into the real world.  Since I posted that view I've made quite a few changes to the tail, wings and fuselage.

I tend to use the balsa because I have it to hand and it's easy to shape, not sure if I can get bass wood, but I am using some deal on my ju87 a canopy mold as it is more robust and has much finer grain, which won't show on a clearmolding.

I think that Bass wood is what Lime is called in the USA. Jelutong is  a very suitable  timber. It was traduitionally used for pattern making , for metal casting. It is fine grained and dimensionally very stable., I havent found any suppliers in Ireland , but I would recomend it if you  can get hold of it.

Just got my copy of The British fighter since 1912, an absolute treasure trove of weird and obscure planes  from 1912 to the late 70's from the Fe 3 all the way up to the Tornado, many line drawings (no Snark, but John has very kindly PM'd me a set , I must admit I love this community) Thrilled with both. 

On the Basswood front ebay has provided :)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

45947335105_c34d26581c.jpg

CAD Model better already :) Still a lot to do to get it right, but it's not a million miles off the drawings. BTW I am being difficult and I'm going to model the third prototype which had a faired spinner, rather than the one in hte drawings with a normal spinnerless propeller, I have a photo of it in my Ray Rimmell Sopwith Fighters book, so based on the plans I Should be able to figure out the dimensions.

Edited by Marklo