A trio of triplanes, soon to be a quintet, Pfalz, Fokker, 2 Sopwiths

Marklo

I am finding it difficult to keep up with al of your builds - so many running concurrently!

These are little gems, each in their own right. So exciting to see three different prototypes being built - none of which are ever likely to be issued as kits so all the more interesting. I will try to keep up in future!

P

I have the same problem :). In reality I have two or three main builds from a pool of eight or ten. I seem to switch to a build run with it for a while then rinse and repeat. Atm the JI the Pfalz and the Bristol racer are the main ones. I do have a Bulldog, a Stuka,a DH4a, an Albatross, a Snark and the Pup rebuild in progress as well :) 

thanks for the nice feedback btw.

• Like 1

48725545186_09bba275ea_z.jpg

Lower and middle wings attached. Upper wing dry fitted to see how it looks. Needs a bit of a cleanup (CA everywhere :) ) and the wingroots faired in. Happy with this. 

Now my one big question is what colour should it be. The prototypes appear to be unpainted, so CDL wings, but was the ply left wooden of painted with the Pfalz Silver Shellac.  If I were to do a what if then factory finish would probably be all over shellac (ala DIII) but it might have been lozenge pattern wings (al a DXII) and if I were to go what if why not go for some Jasta markings. Decisions, decisions ho hum.....

• Like 1

48741858027_1b8b52c2d8_z.jpg

The wing roots cleaned up and the undercarriage on.

48741673151_c26c47741c_z.jpg

More cleanup, some rough priming and the top wing dry fitted. Still not sure on the colours but veering towards CDL for the wings and silver shellac for the plywood bits, hence the grey and buff (not sure if the fixed horizontal surfaces were fabric or ply covered) Very close to finished as most of the other bits are done and just need some painting. Of course i've been working on this for almost a year on an d off.

• Like 2

48761091241_fdbe4eecc7_z.jpg

Had to make a call on whether to arm the Pfalz or not and hence the colourscheme. Wen t with the guns so an overall silver shellac finish is the way to go. Also as the CDL  version is pretty translucent I did't think I'd be able to do it convincingly. Hmm many lumps and bumps, nothing a bit of polishing won't fix.

48761091131_b011b99a7f_z.jpg

Front view. Paintwork is courtesy of a Humbrol rattle can and it needs a bit of rubbing down before I recoat it. But not too bad at this stage. This will actually be the first completely spray painted model I've made. A good preamble to getting to grips with my airbrush. That undercarriage is ever so slightly lopsided, my next little job I think.

48761091056_65dc629e21_z.jpg

Engine Prop and Cowling more or less ready to go. Prop needs a boss and some varnish and decals. The prop is made out of paper btw.

Edited by Marklo

48791776206_2ae2677b61_z.jpg

48791530033_84f143821d_z.jpg

After much faffing around with struts the upper wing is attached and a good start made on the rigging. then it's time for one last buff/polish and a (hopefully final) touchup of the silver. Not sure if I'll leave it this shiny,  scotchbrite it back a little or satin coat it.

Bought a Sopwith Tiplane off ebay so this will become a quartet soon (still considering an Osprey so maybe even a quintet)

• Like 1

48819279326_64e01d68d2_z.jpg

48819429447_497cf79a50_z.jpg

Dangerously close to finished. A little filling around the Cowl, a boss for the propeller, control cables, markings and a little cleanup, should easily make next weekend, then I think the Snark is due for some attention.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

49033537496_fcfa8e38ed_z.jpg

Since I had the airbrush out and far too much brown in the cup all things snarkicle got a coat of brown, should be a good.undercoat for PC10, also shot the interior with some desert yellow and painted the Sopwith triplane with both shades as appropriate for CDL or PC10.

• 2 months later...

49467491997_43aa23aa72_z.jpg

I've been neglecting this for a while, but the Snark is now officially back in action. I have no idea at all what the interior should be like, so I've scratched something which is similar to generic Sopwith, longerons two bulkheads a bucket seat some duckboards.

49466774923_9734c036a4_z.jpg

Cleaned up the fuselage a bit and roughly cut out the cockpit opening, I'll refine this a bit once the fuselage is buttoned up.  Now just needs a stick, some pedals, a control panel and some seatbelts.

I stumbled upon the Fokker DR2 yesterday so I think this will get added on to this series as well as an Osprey and possibly an Albatros  and maybe an FK10  , so it might well turn into  an endless Triplane build 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...