Quick question regarding Repli (Micro) Scale decals

Sturmovik

I´ve read elsewhere that Micro Scale decals tend to break because of how thin they´re, but if the ones I tested (spares from the sheet) didn´t do that, then it´s safe to assume the main (bigger) ones won´t break apart, right? 

The decals I´ve bought from Repliscale are Yoxford Boys 5 in 1:48 for the Monogram/Hasegawa P-51D.

Edited by Sturmovik

I've used several Microscale sheets in the past, both with their own brand and printed by them for others and really I've never had more problems with these compared to other brands, they need care but no more than most brands.

Larger markings are in any case to be treated with extra care, but this IMHO applies to all decals. With markings that go to cover large portions of an aircraft, particularly over complex curves, it's always useful to cut the decal in sections to avoid problems. When many years ago I had to apply the large Microscale VF-33 markings on a 1/48 Tomcat I struggled to keep everything straight, today I'd cut this in two sections.

I have also used Repliscale branded decals and I never had problems with decals breaking. However I've had problems with silvering as I applied them over areas that I believed were glossy enough... and they weren't. Really they seem to like a very glossy surface. I've not been impressed with the printing of these decals, but that's another story and may just be related to the sheets I used

@Giorgio N @stevehnz thank you both for your help, the decals worked flawlessly, and the aircraft was finished today. Here's a sneak peak before I post on the Aircraft RFI.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127595063@N04/45335771855/in/album-72157704454380194/

• Like 2