Trumpeter P-47D Razorback

12 hours ago, Hobo said:

Absolutely stunning build. The best P-47 model I've ever seen. Is there a chance you could explain how you painted and weathered this model?

Many thanks for the comments! As i was building this for a friend i did actually take some photos during the build to update him, which i can share. Even when the subject matter is heavily weathered, i will only pre-shade and oil wash in certain areas - in reality more exposed areas, and those trampled on by human foot will suffer more. So when i painted a Malta Spitfire (submitted June 24), the underside of the plane was less sun-bleached than the upper surfaces. Again with the Spitfire, like the P-47, only some areas received pre-shading and oil washes. So with the P-47 i airbrushed the insignia, pre-shaded, then built up lots and lots of thin top-coats in varying shades of Olive Drab. Then everything received a coat of gloss, and i applied oil washes, varying the colour of the oil paint. I also apply oils with a thicker consistency and gently remove using a brush or cotton bud, with the aim of leaving some colour behind. When satisfied i apply the matt varnish and then add chips using pencils. The final touch will be gently applying pastels with a brush to pick out light and shade. The engine cowling chequer was airbrushed (i took measurements from a decal set and then made masks using yellow tape, which took hours!). I do not like to overthink the props, i sprayed silver first, then matt black and rubbed some of the top coat away with micromesh. Here are some photos, happy modelling!
Jan%2015%202016%20054-X3.jpgJan%2015%202016%20069-X3.jpgBrooklands%20Feb%202016%20006-X3.jpgBrooklands%20Feb%202016%20032-X3.jpgDec%2024%202015%20009-X3.jpgBrooklands%20Feb%202016%20049-X3.jpg

Brooklands%20Feb%202016%20021-X3.jpg

So you can see with the finished model there is hardly any weathering towards the tail, and the idea is to draw the eye further forward.

mar%208%202016%20062-X3.jpg

• Like 2