Airfix 1/48th Hawker Hunter F6

:yikes:Lucky Melchett...!!!

Awesome build, General. The new Airfix Hunter kit looks spot on. The nose, the base of the windshield, the aft canopy fuselage, wing and tail tips, wheels (how about the placement of the main landing gear wheel bays which they said was wrong on the Academy kit?).

Still wondering what to do with my two remaining Academy kits (an F.6 and an FGA.9); need to get the new Arfix kit right away.

Dying to see whether or not the Heritage T.7 conversion set fits this new kit.

Cheers Andy! :cheers:

Unc2

PS: Sis Astrid says hi. She asks me whether you could post piccies of YOU instead. I told her that she should be careful about Mrs Melchett because she was a loose-head prop back in the day! 

• Like 1

Thanks again guys...

(how about the placement of the main landing gear wheel bays which they said was wrong on the Academy kit?).

Cheers Unc to the power 2, old sausage, glad to say everything's where it should be... The wheel bays of the Airfix kit are superb, bags of detail out of the box. The only slight let down in the whole kit were the flaps...which don't have any interior detail at all, even though they can be lowered! (that's why I closed them. I'm sure Eduard, Aires etc will soon be along to help out in this and other areas. 

Return my Hi to Astrid...I won't torture the poor girl with a selfie, although I must admit the arrest charge-sheet one is quite fetching, (if you ignore the black eyes, broken nose and swollen cheeks!) 

be care about Mrs Melchett because she was a loose-head prop back in the day! 

Well, that was indeed back in the day, fieresome to behold......as a result of all the injuries, she now needs a loose-head prop!:tomato:

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Lovely build of a lovely machine your Generalship.

One of my all time favourite Aircraft.

Luckily I get to see one every time I travel on the A17!

Passed that one yesterday.  Not been down that way for a while, so good to see it's being looked after.

• Like 2

Luckily I get to see one every time I travel on the A17!

Thanks Pete, yes, I also get to see her on my tri-annual wallet emptying sojourns down to Hannants, Lowestoft...and she's a rarer F1 to boot.

Melchett Towers also gets buzzed by the occasional Mk58 up from the HHA in the summer months...well, it makes a pleasant change from those bothersome Spitfires, Dakota and Lancaster of the BBMF:tomato:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks Pete, yes, I also get to see her on my tri-annual wallet emptying sojourns down to Hannants, Lowestoft...and she's a rarer F1 to boot.

Melchett Towers also gets buzzed by the occasional Mk58 up from the HHA in the summer months...well, it makes a pleasant change from those bothersome Spitfires, Dakota and Lancaster of the BBMF:tomato:

Lucky you! I live at Scampton, literally in line of sight of the airfield (both front and rear windows), and it's a rare sight seeing the Hunters!  Not even seen the freshly painted one yet.....

• Like 1

When I say occasional, I mean very occasional Paul, only five times this year, but always nice to see them. (MT is roughly 4½ miles from Scampton and 3½ from Waddington). We get a fair bit of activity here as we're directly under the Waddo approach. Seems there are a few of us who are lucky enough to live in the vicinity.

• Like 1

but what a fine model and what a fine aircraft!

The British have really made some astonishingly beautiful flying machines, in wartime the Spitfire, the Mosquito, and the Lancaster, postwar, the Hornet and the Hunter. The Russians made those sexy MiGs, and the Americans ... the Phantom! 

• Like 1

Thanks fellas,

The world needs a decent F4. 

Tony...I must agree, in fact, that was my first thought when told about the kit way back. I'm pretty sure you're not going to see a T7 from Airfix, (nice to be proved wrong) but my old mucker Ali McLean is on the case with his Aerocraft Models set.

• 3 weeks later...

Very lovely Mon General. I saw it in the mag too, but always forget that that's you!

Airfix have taken payment for my two on pre-order, so hopefully they will turn up any day. One is slated for an all blue 92, tother either gets knifed for a Suez F5 or de-dogged for an early straight wing F6. 

So so excited here.....

Jonners

• Like 2

Thanks again fellas, glad you like it and that it hopefully inspires you to get a few, once it's released... 

Now, could we have it in 1/72, please?

To be honest, as far as fighters go I'm more a 1/48th chap Michael, but have to agree they would make for a great collection/display in that scale.

I’m not a fan of that machine but it looks terrific & your model might change my mind!

Well, oddly enough I sort of agree, I'm into more esoteric (eccentric) looking aircraft than the beautiful, but with so many spectacular schemes available for the aircraft what's not to like. When the editor showed me the options on the Xtradecals sheet I knew I had to build it, and so should you....go for it!

One is slated for an all blue 92, tother either gets knifed for a Suez F5 or de-dogged for an early straight wing F6. 

Thanks Jonners, good choices...re the early F6, I have a feeling a straight wing bird will comes along in due course. I'm highly tempted with WB202, the second prototype, in High-Speed Aluminium sporting four wing mounted dummy Firestreaks as seen in May/June 1954..... just looks so good...

• 2 months later...

Great Hunter Herr General !!

And thanks for the list of things to be rectified on the Academy...

Since I have one withthe Heritage model straight wing....:whistle:

't will be funny too !!

CC

• Like 1

Thanks, CC, appreciated...to be honest with all the mods needed for the Academy kit plus adding the Heritage wings you might be better off just waiting a while for Airfix's F4...OK may not be as much 'fun' but it'll save you a lot of grief..(not that that will stop you of course :winkgrin:)

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...

That's stunning sir!!  Just seeing it now (been trolling for Hunter inspiration for my Omani FGA.73).  

One question on the colour scheme - the old Profile pub says the trim is fluorescent orange.  I've seen models of her painted all sorts of colours.  Any idea for certain if it truly was day-glow?  Either way, your model, and the photography of it, are superb!!

• Thanks 1