Mickey Mouse!

paul_c

A while back I did a little cross kitting to produce a more accurate looking 1/76 Bedford QL bowser - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010404-bedford-ql-aircraft-refueller/&tab=comments#comment-2510934

Since then, the remnants of the Airfix QLD/QLT and Refuelling sets have been looking at me asking to be built. I did consider doing more conversions but in the end decided on some nice, relaxing from-the-box builds. So here we have the QLT, 100% straight from the box and the AEC 0854 again pretty much from the box, with the addition of a set of Wee Friends wheels, acetate windows and a raised fire shield behind the cab. Both have been finished in 'Mickey Mouse' style camouflage, the Bedford using the box top scheme and the AEC using my own artistic license as the colours of these things are ambiguous to say the least! Hope you like them.

32317936338_6b63c51d35_z.jpg

45465837094_ce7412ab64_z.jpg

31250712227_5d3f54dbaf_z.jpg

46139404202_0d626bf900_z.jpg

46139404082_b36d1fc258_z.jpg

31250709667_aa17db6881_z.jpg

45277557315_740f5b9c0f_z.jpg

46139402142_c86705f499_z.jpg

• Like 15

Good job(s) Paul.

I saw some diagrams of Mickey Mouse camo schemes a while back, and was surprised to discover that the pattern stopped at the 'roof line': the foofs/tops of vehicles painted in the darker colour alone. I say it surprised me, because even from childhood I'd seen lots of model Quad tractors with the dark green and sand yellow Mickey Mouse pattern up on the roof.!

Maybe there was a bit of artistic licence of the 'rules' going on during the war and model-makers aren't incorrect ih having the camo up on the roofs?

Whatever, I see that you're either aware of the official pattern rules, or you've inadvertently obeyed them.

Which is it?🤔

Rearguards,

Badder

It was the case that all upper surfaces should have been painted. that included vehicle roof, canvas tilt and all surfaces visible from above be it a short bonnet and mudguards.

Having seen one particular photo of the camouflage being applied by hand then I suppose basically any pattern was acceptable provided it had the large/small circles similar to the mickey mouse cartoon ears . . . .

Such a 'Mickey Mouse' scheme was introduced around October 1943.

30908585237_6ece43bb7b_z.jpg

30908588207_9299de962c_z.jpg

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Badder said:

Good job(s) Paul.

I saw some diagrams of Mickey Mouse camo schemes a while back, and was surprised to discover that the pattern stopped at the 'roof line': the foofs/tops of vehicles painted in the darker colour alone. I say it surprised me, because even from childhood I'd seen lots of model Quad tractors with the dark green and sand yellow Mickey Mouse pattern up on the roof.!

Maybe there was a bit of artistic licence of the 'rules' going on during the war and model-makers aren't incorrect ih having the camo up on the roofs?

Whatever, I see that you're either aware of the official pattern rules, or you've inadvertently obeyed them.

Which is it?🤔

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder! I was aware of the upper surfaces being all one colour but I wasn't 100% about the colours for the AEC. Either green or in my case, tarmac black for the camo. A proper tin of worms judging by other threads I've read!

4 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Those look good. The only improvement I can suggest is larger pictures, so more details can be seen. Something in the 600x800 pixel range.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

This is my first attempt at uploading photos from Flickr so I will play with the sizes next time around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

Very nice, I can't wait to do my Matadors in Mickey Mouse schemes.

PS: did you mean to put the Bren upside down? 🤔😄

Good spot! No I did not! Obviously in a rush to finish! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1